Interesting find while diving

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know what this is?
I found it while diving, close to the shoreline buried in sand.
The 2 lines you can see around the middle are faint but also at the top and bottom.

1534129413_20160709_115208.jpg

1534129440_20160709_115221.jpg

1534129463_20160709_115234.jpg

1534129491_20160709_115245.jpg

1534129512_20160709_115310.jpg

It feels super light like its cork, but I always thought it was wood. It has many holes from things growing on and inside it which may be why its so light...and fragile.

I think its a jug or pot of some kind because of the flat bottom. But i am just a painter :lol:

I'll try to get some closeup pics to see if it really has a wood grain of if its just dirty.

The second pic certainly appears to show some sort of pouring lip. And in the absence of a handle the raised ridge around the neck might be so you can grip it whilst pouring. Why it's so light? Well who knows after so long under water. My best guess would be some sort of jug or flask.

This could be a valuable piece of history, if there is a museum or university near you, take it too them so they can try and identify it.
First thoughts it was a marine float, following photos showing the lip/flat bottom would almost certainly identify it as a type of jug/vessel.
If you were diving on the East coast it may have originated on the Polynesian Islands and they visited Australian shores many moons ago?

There is similar but not same Polynesian pottery here;
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BAgCEB8&biw=1434&bih=839#imgrc=muyDhXSEODhU1M:

A burial urn??

http://users.on.net/~mkfenn/page6.htm

What ever it is keep the location quiet even /especially if you are taking to a museum. Time to research a bit of history of the coast and see what wrecks are know or thought to have met their final resting place. A museum is a good place to try and identify what it is and any era it might have been used. Great find and welcome to PA.

Thanks for the replies eveyone.

I don't imagine it could be old, unless it was deposited there not long before I found it.
It was buried where the sand meets solid reef, less than 100 meters from shore.
It was a few years ago now but i remember seeing the top exposed in 6-8 foot of water. Definitely in the impact zone in any decent swell so i would imagine that sand patch would be constantly moving and would have broken it if it was there for any length of time.

Does anyone know the best place to enquire about this?
Should I take it in person or just email some pics?

Cheers

Latest posts