Another what to buy thread.... sorry. CAIRNS

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I. Sorry for starting another thread. Im sure there are plenty already :8

Im having trouble navigating the slang, interpretting specs and avoiding misdirection.
New to this prospecting game but looking for my first detector. I was originally going to purchase a minelab gpx4500, but a friend suggested that wasnt a great ideauntil i knew what i was doing with it. He suggested a Gold Monster 1000 to start with until i get the hang of it and then purchase a good 4500/5000 second hand. Sounded resonable to me.

Now the Equinox 800 has entered the equation, seeing as the internet says its comparable to the GM1000 for gold, but more versatile to include treasure hunting. My friend says this is a goer as i can play around at the local tourist spots and swimming holes, effectively paying for the next detector by itself through finds. Sounds a lot like wishful thinking to me but hes pretty adament and i trust him in general.

Id join a local prospecting club, but alas, It appears to be defunct and I am on my own so to speak.

Ultimately id like to be messing around looking for gold on multiple stations I already have private access to (for professional hunting and feral vertibrate animal control) between charters towers - mt garnett - Chillagoe -Dimbula/Tyrconnell - mt mulligan - mt malloy areas. Gotta be gold amongst all the quartz and ironstone I keep seeing in all these seasonal creek beds.

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

Yes, sorry. Original post edited for clarity. Clearly I have hunting on the brain atm.

old hand said:
Go for a new 4500 you will not be sorry well worth the money regards john :Y:
I agree buy a 4500 and be done you buy a lesser machine and you will only want to upgrade it after a small amount of time there is a large amounts of imformation about the 4500 on the internet and how to use it just stick with it and ask questions and you will get it pa has stacks of people with them you only need to ask

I suggest to everyone that if you haven't tried prospecting then maybe hire a machine and give it a go first. Maybe where you live that's not possible? Detecting isn't for everyone and most people know fairly quick whether or not it is for them.

The equinox is good and versatile but will it handle what I would assume will be fairly mineralized ground where you are?

Have you thought about an SDC 2300. Easy, waterproof, will detect gold very well (if it's there ;) ), cheaper than a 4500 and eats mineralized ground for breakfast. And for a bloke that sounds like you travel around a lot and would like to take the detector in the ute with you, the sdc folds up into a pretty compact little unit ready to quickly unfold at a moments notice.

But whatever you choose, enjoy ;)

Cheers fellas.

Northeast, i dont know about hire units locally, but im taking my mates AT Gold with me on this next contract job, so will have plenty of time for me to play with it in the bush over the week. Im pretty confident this is going to be right up my alley. I enjoy nothing more than being out on my own in the bush beavering away at something for extended periods. This has got to be right up my alley :Y:

SDC is in contention, but am i likely to want to upgrade that nearly as quickly as i would the Equinox 800? Or is it a more permanent one detector option?

Truth is you really can't fail. 4500 are in solid demand and do well on 2nd hand market, same for Nox 800.

Just get the 4500, some packages include (as they should) detector lesson. If not they can be paid for, and given your location I doubt that would be a problem. Take the info in the manual, threads here, youtube and that will get you understanding what you need to do in no time. A couple of smaller test nuggets and bingo you're on your way.

As others have said you could try hiring before buying outright, another option to see if it's something you stick at before committing.

Depends if youre finding much Meller :D
If you are finding a fair bit of small stuff with the SDC and the occasional larger piece then I suppose you will want to upgrade. And OldGT is right - the 4500 will cover so many situations and be a great detector.

I just thought the portability, stick it behind the seat, ease of use of the SDC might have been suitable for your situation. And they dont call it the blue hoover for nothing :Y:

in all the above they are right I have a sdc2300 and an equinox were I should of bought a 4500 they are a solid machine that will do everything my two machines will do plus way more on a gold field

Hi Meller.

I run a 5000, SDC and an Equinox 800. The 5000 is basically the same as the 4500 but with a few extra timings. Both are very good machines and when you learn how to play with them. They will produce for you (if you are in the right areas) Given a choice, I would go for the SDC hands down as a starting machine. Basically turn on and go, sensitive to smaller gold and has a good resale value if you decide to upgrade. In my opinion, the SDC and the 4500 make a good team. The SDC often sniffs out bits that the 4500 does not see. The 4500 will punch deeper and has a good range of coils that will cover a variety of situations. Being more compact, the SDC folds up and fits into a back pack enabling you to explore remote areas a little easier. The Equinox would be a good choice if you wanted to treasure hunt as your main focus and have a token play with gold detecting. From what Ive found so far with my testing, it is OK on small shallow gold but is not on the same page as the other machines as far as a dedicated gold detector. If you have a partner or friends that may come out for a play with you from time to time, the SDC is the best choice in that situation as you can hand the machine to them and basically let them go. Everyone is different in what they want from this hobby and there is no answer that is correct for every individual. The country that you are exploring, the time that you put into detecting and even your own personality in relation to traits like patience and dedication can impact on your decision. Good luck with your choice of machines. It doesnt really matter what you buy if you are able to have fun with it and find some of that yellow stuff.

Cheers

Les

BITE THE BULLET SON.
go the zed for ease of use and best results. The ground you are crossing sounds good and you have permission. Hunters can be a patient mob and money is no object who knows you might end up capping gold tips :lol: .

As long as you don't mind digging holes, detecting junk and getting false signals i'd recommend it.

I would be keen to hear how you went with the AT gold because I want to upgrade the wifes sdc.

Gem in I said:
BITE THE BULLET SON.
go the zed for ease of use and best results. The ground you are crossing sounds good and you have permission. Hunters can be a patient mob and money is no object who knows you might end up capping gold tips :lol: .

As long as you don't mind digging holes, detecting junk and getting false signals i'd recommend it.

I would be keen to hear how you went with the AT gold because I want to upgrade the wifes sdc.
an AT would not be an upgrade ;)

Thanks for your input fellas. So i guess none of you are fans of the 4500 then and i really shouldnt get one ;) :)

Although If i keep looking at the finds page thread ill end up with a 7000, a second mortgage and ill be out west somewhere looking for madtuna hoping to shoot some of his horses and poaching his gold. Just cause im a good bloke whos happy to help him out Lol.

So I guess my only questions left are:

4500 or 5000? Is it worth the extra in future proofing or capability.

New or used? Im a notorius one for buying up a model for additional capability by buying second hand. Or is there a particular reason with detectors not to do this.

Is there a go-to preferred supplier or site sponsor that we should be supporting?

Ive got the giddy school girl excitement i only get when buying new guns!

Hi Meller9.3, Are you in Cairns? If so Gold City Detecting (Cairns Prospecting World) have opened a new store. And have a deal going on the 4500. Could be worth going in for a chat. Pete and George are very helpful.

Cheers

New or used. Being electronics primarily rather than mechanical, warranty can become a major.
oh and you go girl :lol:

Meller9.3 said:
Thanks for your input fellas. So i guess none of you are fans of the 4500 then and i really shouldnt get one ;) :)

Although If i keep looking at the finds page thread ill end up with a 7000, a second mortgage and ill be out west somewhere looking for madtuna hoping to shoot some of his horses and poaching his gold. Just cause im a good bloke whos happy to help him out Lol.

So I guess my only questions left are:

4500 or 5000? Is it worth the extra in future proofing or capability.

New or used? Im a notorius one for buying up a model for additional capability by buying second hand. Or is there a particular reason with detectors not to do this.

Is there a go-to preferred supplier or site sponsor that we should be supporting?

Ive got the giddy school girl excitement i only get when buying new guns!
the 4500 is one of the best machines on the market I didn't see anyone knock them on this thread?

Latest posts