Mogo GPX 5000 Detector settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadz

Stephen Bergman
Reaction score
Hi all,
We just received our Minelab GPX 5000 and plan on heading out to Mogo NSW this weekend (weather permitted) to start using it for the first time.

Just wondering what settings I should use for this area?

Is Mogo considered a Low, Med, or high mineralised area ?

Can use either Minelab Commander 11" x 12 mono or 15/11" x 12 DD coil

Regards Steve

I'd use the Commander 11" round mono to start off with. It's a good all round coil.
Start in factory presets (follow the quick start procedure in the manual). The only change I would make at this point is at number 5 - I would run in fixed not tracking & use the green quick track button on the handle to maintain a good ground balance.
Read up on the ground balance section as this is an important part of starting off. You need to be getting it right for the area & be able to maintain it.
Also read up on gain & stabiliser settings. Not sure what the ground is like in Mogo but you may be able to adjust these up if the ground is mild enough (or you may need to adjust down if the ground is more mineralised).
Once your confident with ground balancing & adjusting gain/stabiliser start looking at the different timings, modes etc. Take your time learning - there's no need to be rushed. Plenty of people have found gold with the GPX in the factory presets or pretty close to them.
Some good reading on timings here:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...lab-gpx-4000-4500-5000-manuals-timing-charts/

Agree with what mbasko said good advice. The soil there is fairly medium and make sure you take a rake and i like to use Special on the front switch and on the lcd screen run fine gold for a bit more depth and sensitivity, dig every target to get to understand the sounds the detector is telling you, go low and slow and most importantly enjoy your time in the bush.
Good luck, nuggets are still being found there.

Thanks for the quick response. looking forward to taking it out...tried to auto tune and ground balance at home but think too much interference.

Give detector den a quick call, last time I was up there the owner was well versed in all the areas in the surrounds including Mogo, I'm sure they could shed some light, I know they were super helpful when I was up there.

OldGT said:
Give detector den a quick call, last time I was up there the owner was well versed in all the areas in the surrounds including Mogo, I'm sure they could shed some light, I know they were super helpful when I was up there.

Yes was going to pop in for a chat while we are down that way. Need to buy some scales to way in our 1st find...and maybe a speaker..

Hi Nomadz

Its very windy down here at the moment. Try to find a sheltered spot to detect. Quite a few branches coming down at the moment. Id also suggest that headphones are your best option, especially in the wind. Have a look down Ross Ridge Rd. Theres plenty of country in that area to explore. Settings advice as listed above will work well in this area. If you can get to 10 posts, message me and I can put you into some spots that produce consistently.

Cheers

Les

Lesgold said:
Hi Nomadz

Its very windy down here at the moment. Try to find a sheltered spot to detect. Quite a few branches coming down at the moment. Id also suggest that headphones are your best option, especially in the wind. Have a look down Ross Ridge Rd. Theres plenty of country in that area to explore. Settings advice as listed above will work well in this area. If you can get to 10 posts, message me and I can put you into some spots that produce consistently.

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les much appreciated. I will definitely take you up on some local spots and advice..
Ill get over 10 posts shortly but in the meantime are you able to message me directly or is that also prevented until I post 10 posts?

Regards Steve

Latest posts