B.Ds Land & sea with the CTX & Eq 800

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

A new thread to showcase some of my ocean & earth finds in S.A...

I had been on a pre-dec dry spell for some time and after some trial & error in some new areas, my luck began to change :)

This was my first ever English silver - its nearly worn smooth but I think the date is 1838.

It lit a fire though and its starting to pay off...

1533630228_e233aa29-a712-492e-a2d9-d9e9158338a3.jpg

The button might have come from a military officer's uniform on exchange while getting some training in S.A. with us in both being part of the Commonwealth,just a thought.

Chuck it in the find of the month competition,maybe you could win some chocolates :p

One very sweet {) button :Y:

Awesome button and old silver coin. I like your namesake fish too. I'm like a magpie with shiny things!

Thanks for the replys all.

Duck - It is indeed the 14th regiment of foot.

A passage I found read Stationed in Australia 1867-1870, based in Melbourne. Detachments were sent to Hobart, Fremantle and Perth .

I wonder the story of how it came to S.A ...

Youre onto a nice old patch there, looking forward to seeing what else you unearth.

Goldpick said:
Love those larger/earlier Vic pennies, they always seem to come out of the ground in real good condition. :Y:

Very true - I couldnt believe how my oldest penny was the best condition one Ive found yet !

Looks like the ground is a lot kinder to copper coins than bronze - I found an 1865 & 1877 penny in the same area and they were both badly worn....

Since last posting Ive been hitting the new old ground quite hard.

Very trashy though and nothing coming easy - Because of the age Im pretty much digging every target at depth.
Below is what I dig each time...

1534664450_ce4e3d21-0225-43ec-8c26-80b82d3f271f.jpg

A few bits and pieces over the week - Buttons, pigeon tag, hair clip, musket balls, watch winder - Not sure what the engraved flower thing is ??

1534664508_d2dfa9dd-cc33-4f87-a66f-91d3a2f6f29f.jpg

Latest posts