Metal Detector advice High end over ~ $3000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, this looks like a really informative and maintained site. I'm pretty new to the prospecting scene but am keen to learn a lot more. I have 3 young kids who love coming out with me using a home made sluice and a few pans. I am really keen to go to the next level and spend a few bucks and get into the detector scene... I will just throw it out there... If you were going to buy your first detector, had up to $4000 to spend what would you personally go for including accessories needed. I would like a detector to use in the Central vic golfields for Nuggets and relics and also to be able to see what treasure I can find in and around public parks etc. If you fellas could name your detector of choice any why that one. Thanks in advance, Jarrod

$4000, I'd be seriously looking at the SDC 2300. Search for it on the forum and you'll see some rather impressive results from this machine.

If you're mainly hunting Gold an SDC2300. It's a bit sensitive for parks though and has no discrimination, can get other detectors for $200 that are perfect for parks.

Sounds like you need two detectors . Me if I was going to get my first it would be the E-Track for the parks and a whites tdi pro oz for the gold. If I had 4g to spend. Other than that a Garrett AT gold if I was strapped for cash .
But you have lots of choices to pick from these days . And good luck on whatever you get

The sdc 2300 is perfect for the Victorian Gold Feilds
Because in most cases Gold is within reach of the

Definitely sounds like you need two detectors for the indicated applications, as you really require a PI detector for gold, and preferably a VLF for coinage. For parks and dabbling in some gold/relic detecting, you have a lot to chose from, including the Minelab X-terra 705 Gold pack, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher Gold Bug Pro/Teknetics G2, and the Garrett AT Gold/AT Pro.

You could buy a more dedicated detector for parks, but I only suggested the above units due to the flexibility of them being usable in both areas, plus the kids or your partner can also use it whilst you are out looking for gold. Despite being mainly gold detectors (bar the AT Pro), they are all very capable coin/relic detectors. They range in price from $850 (705) through to $1245 (MXT All Pro).

I am not going to recommend any single detector out of that lot, as I don't have specific experience on all of them, they are mainly listed due to being similarly specced, and to give you an idea of what is around (some of the frequencies/features also vary).

The remainder could be spent on the Whites TDI Pro Oz or Whites SPP for more dedicated gold detecting, with the left over cash used for a pinpointer/s, decent headphones, picks, plastic scoops, and some extra coils. As Wal & Liz have shown, the TDI is indeed quite capable in the goldfields. The TDI Pro can also be set up for and used successfully for coin shooting, as proven by some forum members (albeit with some compromises on lower face value decimal coinage). The TDI Pro Oz sells for $2295, and the SPP for $1195.

As mentioned above, the popular option for serious gold detecting is the SDC2300, it clearly has the runs on the board as proof to its effectiveness, but just have to keep in mind that you won't have much change from $4000 for anything else, nor have anything suitable for coin shooting etc.

You could just bite the bullet and get the SDC initially, then pick up a VLF for coins down the track if the budget is stretched too far.

Decisions, decisions! ;)

SDC will find you gold no problems in Vic, its been proven. 10 grams will buy you a VLF later!

Heatho said:
If you're mainly hunting Gold an SDC2300. It's a bit sensitive for parks though and has no discrimination, can get other detectors for $200 that are perfect for parks.

Couldn't agree more. The sdc will hit every piece of tiny junk in a given area it's bad enough in the Goldfields for it. It's super loud on aluminum pieces and it would quickly get frustrating in a park esp the can slaw. If heading down that path don't even bother with the sdc in the park you will need a dedicated machine, but its a great suggestion for gold.

Hi all,
Me and my partner are really new to metal detecting so we both have no experience and would appreciate any help we can get with our new hobby. We have been interested in metal detecting and fossicking for awhile now but haven't actually acted on it. We have decided to take the next step with our hobby and look at getting 2 metal detectors in the near future with a budget of $5000 maximum. We don't really know where to go detecting but having a quick look on the Internet I am guessing we would have to go to Gympie or Warwick as we currently live at Mango Hill in Qld. From looking at sites on the Internet for 2 possible detectors I came up with these 2. The Minelab SDC2300 and the Minelab Eureka Gold. Are these good detectors or is there a better combination of 2 detectors we could get for around $5000? Any better recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marks200sx said:
Hi all,
Me and my partner are really new to metal detecting so we both have no experience and would appreciate any help we can get with our new hobby. We have been interested in metal detecting and fossicking for awhile now but haven't actually acted on it. We have decided to take the next step with our hobby and look at getting 2 metal detectors in the near future with a budget of $5000 maximum. We don't really know where to go detecting but having a quick look on the Internet I am guessing we would have to go to Gympie or Warwick as we currently live at Mango Hill in Qld. From looking at sites on the Internet for 2 possible detectors I came up with these 2. The Minelab SDC2300 and the Minelab Eureka Gold. Are these good detectors or is there a better combination of 2 detectors we could get for around $5000? Any better recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The SDC will just about see gold almost the same size as the eureka will, If minelab are your chosen brand then I would be looking at getting a couple of second hand GP3500s or GPX 4000s, there are some great deals out there

But I would be looking at buying a New GPX4500 and the Eureka Gold, the you got all bases covered.

good luck,, john

mfdes said:
SDC & Whites SPP or TDI Oz Pro?

Yeah, that's a nice blend, and the SPP is great for the Mrs to swing,

Hang On hang On, wait a minute, have any of you Guys noticed how we all say Oh that would be a nice light machine for the Mrs to Use, yes/ No??

Have you seen the Crap they carry in their handbags, or felt the weight and offered to hold it while they wipe the kids nose or something ??

Heavens Above..

No experience and never been detecting? Keep the $$$ in your pocket and rent a couple of machines for a weekend and try it first. You need to learn HOW to detect and discover if you like it before spending $5k on a good idea ... There are LOTS of detectors gathering dust in broom closets and selling on eBay in like new condition for a very good reason! :wink:

Renting for a day sounds good but where would be a good place to rent one and search. Any recommendations?

Hi guys i have some $$$$ I want a new detector my old one is a sd2100 which was great once now its just not worth the effort
So i thought i would ask opinions of what you would get and why if you had the $$$ to buy anyone you wanted to
thanks in advance cheers Ron

Hi Ron the 2100 were a good detector in their day ,as for a new detector how often do you get out the 7000 are a mixed bag some people love them others hate them and are very expensive , the 5000 are a good gold finding detector many coil choices my preference is the new 4500 a good price but you must look around ,good coil choices but it all depends on how many $$$ you have regards john :)

I have been running the GPZ 7000 since early this year and a GPX 5000 for years before that and the Z is doing things that the 5000 could never do. We found gold in Factory preset on patches found with the 5000 with cranked settings. It runs smoother and target responce can take a little getting used too with the Super sensitive Double D coil. Just imagine a 14 inch coil just as sensitive as the 8 inch coil on the SDC. I think a lot of the early dislike for the Z was it is a different beast to the GPX 5000 and every time someone pressed the quick track button they dumped info on the ground and the machine had to process the ground all over again. Since owning the Z I have not used the quick track button once since first start up nor the ferrite ring and it has run like a dream. It is also the easiest machine second to the SDC to use. If you have 10G and a strong right arm buy a GPZ.

The first point is Brand, Minelab are built in Australia for Australian conditions. Other brands may be capable but in my opinion (shared by many others) buy Minelab.

There are 4 current, capable Gold detectors on the market from Minelab, the following list of detector prices is current at time of writing from the Miners Den website. Coiltek Maryborough also stock these, check their prices. Training is available, usually included in the purchase price. But consider buying it from someone near to or in the Goldfields you want to detect.

SDC2300 $3,550 Specifically for small fine gold
GPX 4500 $3.500 Preceded the GPX5000 and is almost if not as capable. Has been re-introduced, I believe due to stock being available.
GPX 5000 $5,500 The current PI machine most gold prospectors are probably using.
GPZ7000 $9,499 The latest detector and technology release from Minelab and as suggested the most capable.

However, ask yourself, how much experience do I have? How often will I use it? How much money do I really want to spend?

From a "Bang for a Buck" the GPX4500 is definitely the best option. I have a GPX5000, it was what was available at the time I purchased.
Had the GPX4500 been available at that time, I would have definitely gone that way.

At the end of the day, it's your choice... :)

I have no affiliation with Minelab or Miners Den. Opinions are purely personal.

yes thanks guys i have been thinking gpz is the first choice and the sdc second i probably wont use it enough to justify but i dont see the sense in going out with 2nd best if I don't have to . I have a small inheritance , might as well get the best , and the prices have come down a bit . I did hire a sdc for a weekend but no gold lots of shot and plenty to dig with it tho , maybe i should hire GPZ to try out , before i buy .
I

Latest posts