noob wants to do it all...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi everyone...

im new here and new to the subject, so im full of fever questions that my naivety is generating and would appreciate any responses...

I have this romantic idea of setting camp on good electronic detecting ground near a creek, setting sluices and setting about doing all the things the greenies, counicl and rangers would hate...

Can an individual still do this?
What about on private land?
How "serious" can an individual get these day?

Of the mining shack/leases, is that a method of prospecting
that is dry, hot and dusty but pays or is it more a lifestyle?

Many thanks for bearing with my questions..

Gday Robert, Great to see so much romantic enthuism :)
im relatively new to this also, so i can give you my thoughts and perspective of what you are asking based on the last 4-5 months of research i have done. yes research you have to research all the time. But history is very interesting.
I origianally thought along the same lines as you, but it aint that easy to go out and live off the land. it takes time, persistance and research... did i say research?
so the last 4-5 months i have had a detector but havnt been detecting for gold as yet. just scouting out my local area and gaining invaluable detecting experience, getting to know my detector intimately, thats my first step. I saw no point in travelling long distances chasing gold if i have no experience with my detector. Im getting there, i know what a ring pull sounds like now.... I will be looking for gold in a couple of weeks, but thats another story.
check out http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/licences-permits and have a look around this site, it only relates to QLD so depending on which way you are going you will need to check each state for their departments respective rules.
To live off the land so to speak i think you will need to do it all, gold, relics, gem stones... so you need experience and lots of it. and research everything.

I LOVE the lifestyle of going out to the bush just to explore, it wonderous, i grew up in the bush but have lived my adult life in cities or towns, I forgot how truly magnificent it really is.

You sound very inexperienced but enthusastic. check out local detector clubs in your area, they may be able to take you out with them and you can get a feel for it.
In QLD you cant just detect any where there are rules, check them out. And you cant walk onto properties without the owners permission.

Good luck
Rod

Hi Rod,

your right, i am inexperienced with gold prospecting but im good eating witchty grubs and pippies so bush camping so water is the only issue..

I take your point with the detectors and research, it takes time to learn to use them...

robertbruce said:
hi everyone...

im new here and new to the subject, so im full of fever questions that my naivety is generating and would appreciate any responses...

I have this romantic idea of setting camp on good electronic detecting ground near a creek, setting sluices and setting about doing all the things the greenies, counicl and rangers would hate...

Can an individual still do this?
What about on private land?
How "serious" can an individual get these day?

Of the mining shack/leases, is that a method of prospecting
that is dry, hot and dusty but pays or is it more a lifestyle?

Many thanks for bearing with my questions..

which state are you located? In Victoria you can do all of the above on most Crown and Private land (with permission) but need a miners right.

• Two year Miner's Right - $31.30[/*]
  • Ten year Miner's Right - $87.70[/*]

how serious can you get? A few very good long-term full timers about.

thanks for that Loamer
and that link Rod,
looks like in Qld I'll only need a camry to do gold, doesnt seem any camp areas one could set up in...

and i suppose why would there be, else everyone would be there...

i may be living in the wrong state...

Hey Robert, i know it may seem a little difficult in QLD to find huge nuggets or just camp where ever you want, but there are places you can go, there is land set aside and available, there is private properties that charge a fee to camp on there ground and prospect. local detectorist clubs generally have certain places they can get on to also.
I think there are some new areas in the Durikai state forest that have recently opened for fossicking, research it. Hopefully I will be camping there at Xmas.

Im just a newbie to this hobby too, Im building up my gear for fossicking every week, i now NEED a miners pick... last week i bought another coil, it all takes time Robert and whilst your not in the great outdoors gaining experience, your inside studying geology, old timers storys, loaming methods (lol), where you can camp etc etc...

I would love to hit the road fulltime but understand there is a certain knowledge you must acquire and certain equipment that must be attained first. one day........

Rod

hey Rod..
squatters is such an old term I doubt people have been able to camp where they want since the first landing :( ...
Certainly these days everywhere one camps is someone's backyard...
Sorta' takes the joy out of it having to toddle of to a caravanpark overnnight... :(

just can't do anything these days without feeling fugative..

Latest posts