rules???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DropBear said:
Why would anyone post where they got their goodies... This is a public forum.

I really can't tell if you are serious or not. Whats with the negitive attitude? Are you not finding what you are after and want people to point you the way?
Yes it is a Public Forum and i also wonder why anyone would post anything at all in a Public Forum if they do not wish the Public to know ?
Don't concern yourself with my negitive attitude , i have met hundreds of people at Slaty Creek , and ALL of them except for a pair of selfish fellas were very interested in my sharing of knowledge. I would be surprised if anyone of those i shared with did anything or were even remotely contemplating doing anything untoward.
I would like to think that I was perhaps amongst the highlights of their day out.

This is what happens when you talk to the wrong people.
1532500377_rps20180725_163643_168.jpg
. It doesn't seem like much but it continues down stream for 300 m. They have smashed all the crevices out with a jack hammer. Then I find a ten foot sluice and dredging equipment sitting in the bush. Iv been panning here for two years and rarely see anyone. Any way I got 30 $ for the sluice, dredge etc as scrap. And I have a nice big honda water pump to. :Y:

Bluecurrant said:
This is what happens when you talk to the wrong people. https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/9605/1532500377_rps20180725_163643_168.jpg. It doesn't seem like much but it continues down stream for 300 m. They have smashed all the crevices out with a jack hammer. Then I find a ten foot sluice and dredging equipment sitting in the bush. Iv been panning here for two years and rarely see anyone. Any way I got 30 $ for the sluice, dredge etc as scrap. And I have a nice big honda water pump to. :Y:
good on you mate at least you got some petrol money :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Ok thanks everyone.... how this came about to so many posts about nothing i had asked is a wonder to me!?
For the one reply about panning dirt no matter where it came from in an exempt river... i thank you Hippyprospecting.

I can only assume now that the activity of panning alone in an exempt river is what is banned.... along with other methods.

so in saying that i feel that i can legally prospect above the water line, which would include detecting, crevecing, etc etc, and then be able to take water from the river or creek and pan it off away from the river itself.

seems logical right?

i don't like your conclusion at all tsunami.
What are you suggesting the waterline is? - where the water level happens to be when you frequented the site ?
That would mean if you went to the creek when it was dry you could scour it to your hearts content.
I think if you gonna use water line as a guauge , then you will have to use a line where the river would flow in its usual flooded state.

Best I go and read what the website suggests and I shall return with my report.

WOW - 287 Pages

Best I stick with my original modus operandi - just don't go to those exempted rivers

p.s. and I really doubt whether the exempted rivers are even mentioned in the Act

The bed and banks of an exempted stream are included, they are stream side reserves.
No point government saying you can not prospect in a certain river but allow extensive disturbance close by to that River, which effects that River.

I can understand a newbie looking at gold shows, U Tube videos and forum posts and thinking they can make a fortune out of gold prospecting.
The hard truth is you can not, i know for a fact that some of the U Tube promoters recycle gold and keep finding the same gold in their videos.
They are simply after revenue from U tube.

Tsunami said:
I can only assume now that the activity of panning alone in an exempt river is what is banned.... along with other methods.
so in saying that i feel that i can legally prospect above the water line, which would include detecting, crevecing, etc etc, and then be able to take water from the river or creek and pan it off away from the river itself.
seems logical right?

I think you're overlooking the fact that the ownership of the land "above the water line" where you would be detecting, crevicing, panning, etc., also has a bearing on allowable prospecting activities. It's going to be Crown land, Commonwealth land or privately owned, all of which have restrictions of one sort or another. See http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea...-prospecting-and-fossicking/land-access-rules, under Land access rules in summary. And "Summary" means that there's more to it in the legislation than the one-liner explanations on the linked page. :eek:

Best I could come up with is this.

Insofar as EXEMPTED waterways - All lands , being the beds , banks , and reservations on either side of the various streams permanently reserved for Public purposes.
You may not prospect that.
How far away from the river does the bank stop being the bank I have no idea.

See i knew you could do it and it didnt take that long :Y: :Y:
So now its as clear as
My view if you are not allowed then move on somewhere else there are plenty of places that you can dig without pushing rangers buttons
They have at the end of the day more money and resource behind them so for them its a win win situation
As my son would say "Don't be a dick you won't win"
Again JMO

Just looking at some of the waterways on the Exempted list , I came across this one - Reedy Creek Tributary of Ovens River
Could someone please explain how a very well known prospected river appears to be on the list , but obviously is not ?

moeee said:
What are you suggesting the waterline is? - where the water level happens to be when you frequented the site ?
That would mean if you went to the creek when it was dry you could scour it to your hearts content.
I think if you gonna use water line as a guauge , then you will have to use a line where the river would flow in its usual flooded state.

I like tsunami's conclusion it's about as definite as you'll get. How or why might be the question your thinking the answer is if you contact the resource management bureaucracy and speak to multiple employees you'll get a different opinion /answer every time, try it and let us know how you get on.

Welcome to prospecting in Australia Tsunami, where the rules and regulations are often muddier than a day's worth of panning in a single bucket of water.

Getting blood out of a stone is probably easier than getting some seemingly simple answers from the applicable mining body and of course each state is different and some areas have their own seperate legislation.

I'm sorry l can't help with your question as l don't work in those areas, but possibly the biggest single issue our hobby has is the lack of very clear legislation that is written in a way that the average person can understand. There are many many pages of 'discussions' on this site over what is and isn't legal, but at the end of the day it really seems to come down to the local inspector/enforcer to decide as like cops they generally aren't worth arguing with.

Tsunami said:
Ok thanks everyone.... how this came about to so many posts about nothing i had asked is a wonder to me!?
For the one reply about panning dirt no matter where it came from in an exempt river... i thank you Hippyprospecting.

seems logical right?
I don't blame you for feeling worse off than before posting this thread mate!
Hang in there and some accurate info should pop up!
Seems like a turkey hunt is progress!
Head shot hopefully!
The slow bleed is getting painfull!
Pop corn is always good for a laugh but! :D

mudgee hunter said:
Tsunami said:

seems logical right?
I don't blame you for feeling worse off than before posting this thread mate!
Hang in there and some accurate info should pop up!
Seems like a turkey hunt is progress!
Head shot hopefully!
The slow bleed is getting painfull!
Pop corn is always good for a laugh but! :D
X2

thanks everyone for your input...

seems too muddy for me where the area is allowed to be prospected but an exempt river runs through it...

i think logic prevails here.

moeee said:

Tsunami,
I would also agree with what Moeee has mentioned.
High water mark/ Flooded state would be the safest bet.
But the rules are open to interpretation as it doesn't actually state where you can and can not.
IMHO for me, stay away from them.

My 2c worth anyways.

Marty

moeee said:
Just looking at some of the waterways on the Exempted list , I came across this one - Reedy Creek Tributary of Ovens River
Could someone please explain how a very well known prospected river appears to be on the list , but obviously is not ?

Source: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking

Where can I go prospecting?
Prospecting is permitted in most State Forests, many Reserves and private property with landholder's consent.

Prospecting is also permitted in designated areas in the following parks:

Beechworth Historic Park
Castlemaine Diggings National Heritage Park
Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park
Enfield State Park
Greater Bendigo National Park
Heathcote-Graytown National Park
Kooyoora State Park
Paddys Ranges State Park
Reef Hills State Park
Kara Kara National Park
Steiglitz Historic Park
Warrandyte State Park

All I can say is this....The old pdf from dpi used to state check with authority to find the answer, presumably the relevant dpi office or local land governance body. Since the change no mention of the surrounding areas appears. Additional places have been added to the list. I have a pdf of the original statements and summary which differs greatly from the current info, thus adding further confusion.

Unfortunately the pdf is to large to upload. I shall try copy and paste over weekend on my desktop for those interested.

Latest posts