rules???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

fairly new to the prospecting game... so i have few questions for in and around exempt rivers etc etc.

so if prospecting around an exempt river, what are you and what aren't you allowed to do? eg: how far above the current water line is exempt?
can you prospect above water line and pan off your dirt in the river? or can you take water from the river and pan on shore?

Crevecing, again how far above the water line is ok?

i hear that streams running into exempt rivers are ok to pan, sluice etc etc, is this true?

all help on these topics will be truly appreciated...

Thanks in advance

great questions tsunami.
I never even conidered any of them.
I simply assumed when a river was exempt , that meant don't go there.
But you have now opened up my eyes and I also am keenly interested in what it is exactly that I cannot do in the campaspe.

I tell you what I have noticed - I have noticed that plenty people show photos of gold in their pan but very very few actually name the creek they worked - makes me wonder whether the rules about exempt rivers and creeks may be for those that choose to follow those rules.

moeee said:
I tell you what I have noticed - I have noticed that plenty people show photos of gold in their pan but very very few actually name the creek they worked - makes me wonder whether the rules about exempt rivers and creeks may be for those that choose to follow those rules.
Foolish to jump to conclusions!
Jealousy can ruin your brain!

so these are true questions that need answers..... for those in the game which are willing to share....
i don't want to do the wrong thing, however i know of areas which are open to prospecting but also have exempt rivers running through them, so hence my questions which need some answers.

thanks again in advance

Ithink the 'exemption' is in relation to fishing is it not?...Idon't recall the term ever being used in relation to fossicking or prospecting...noit saying it's not I just mean from my experience it's the fishing angle of things...

What is the point of showing a pan of gold and not saying where it was from ?
Only thing I can think of is the creek is banned from prospecting.
I mean , creeks are what ? 10 k's long ? - like as if naming the creek gives away a secret hiding spot.

So what is the point of showing a pan of gold - is this a thing ?

moeee said:
I mean , creeks are what ? 10 k's long ? - like as if naming the creek gives away a secret hiding spot.

Prospectors are famous for being secretive about where they find gold, it's not a new thing, it's always been that way.

Matt80 said:
Prospectors are famous for being secretive about where they find gold, it's not a new thing, it's always been that way.
Well I have noticed on the TV Program AUSSIE GOLD HUNTERS , that they are also the most selfish as well.
Although in their defence it is their livelihood.
But heck , if you want to remain secretive about where you found what you found , then why mention the find at all ?

moeee said:
Matt80 said:
Well I have noticed on the TV Program AUSSIE GOLD HUNTERS , that they are also the most selfish as well.
Although in their defence it is their livelihood.
But heck , if you want to remain secretive about where you found what you found , then why mention the find at all ?

Someones missing the point

Matt80 said:
moeee said:

Exactly. And an experienced prospector always respects the prospectors' unwritten code of etiquette: If you're shown gold or told about a discovery by the finder, you never ask for the location. If you do so, you're immediately flagging yourself as a beginner and/or a possible vulture. :cool:

grubstake said:
If you're shown gold or told about a discovery by the finder, you never ask for the location. If you do so, you're immediately flagging yourself as a beginner and/or a possible vulture. :cool:
So I'm gonna race out with my ol' D9 cat and scour the living suitcase of a every creek that gets a mention in the hope of securing some flyshit pieces of gold ?
Everyone seems to not want your current rights to not be taken away but make every effort to keep newcomers away from the activity.
Sounds like a GROUCHO MARX exclusive club.

moeee said:
grubstake said:
If you're shown gold or told about a discovery by the finder, you never ask for the location. If you do so, you're immediately flagging yourself as a beginner and/or a possible vulture. :cool:
So I'm gonna race out with my ol' D9 cat and scour the living suitcase of a every creek that gets a mention in the hope of securing some flyshit pieces of gold ?
Everyone seems to not want your current rights to not be taken away but make every effort to keep newcomers away from the activity.
Sounds like a GROUCHO MARX exclusive club.

You haven't been prospecting long hey? Or are you just joking around?

Why would anyone post where they got their goodies... This is a public forum.

I really can't tell if you are serious or not. Whats with the negitive attitude? Are you not finding what you are after and want people to point you the way?

Prospecting is all about research, the hunt, research, trial and error, research, failing, hard work.... And then you might hit the good gold!

Tsunami said:
Hi everyone...

fairly new to the prospecting game... so i have few questions for in and around exempt rivers etc etc.

so if prospecting around an exempt river, what are you and what aren't you allowed to do? eg: how far above the current water line is exempt?
can you prospect above water line and pan off your dirt in the river? or can you take water from the river and pan on shore?

i hear that streams running into exempt rivers are ok to pan, sluice etc etc, is this true?

Thanks in advance

I'd like some answers to these questions too, :lol: without a bloody slanging match about secret spots :mad:

Some spots are renowned for their fame at producing good gold. Take Reedy creek at Beechworth-Eldorado for example, the creek is miles long and gold can be found along its entire length. I would have no worries posting on here that I panned "X" amount of gold at Reedy creek. On the other hand, some creeks are only small gullies and the diggings are only in a small section, or there is only public access to a small section of creek. So if I said I got half an ounce at Nuggety creek in the town of Goldsville, anyone with a bit of goldfever would be rushing out there, just like the old timers did to capitalise on all that AU sitting there waiting to be liberated. The old timers kept their spots secret for as long as possible so the gold was theirs. Nothing new to this "Thing"......just business as usual.

I reckon that if a creek is barred from prospecting in, then the whole creek is barred. That's it.

That would include the bed, the banks, and the watershed/catchment unless stated otherwise. If the powers that be say no prospecting, then okay, I'll cop it sweet.

I reckon that any body who sees all these variables as a mere technicality to be sorted out isn't doing the activity of prospecting/fossicking any good.

And as for telling people the honeyspot where I get my colour from...You're dreamin' son.

Tsunami said:
Hi everyone...

Thanks in advance

I can answer one of your questions.
You cannot pan or prospect dirt from elsewhere in an exempt river.
Thats what i was told from earth resources when i emailed them a few months ago.

I did ask for the legislation or act in writing. Just for giggles you know :)
They just stopped emailing back and forth after that

Latest posts