Bush tricks - share yours here...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carry a well stocked first aid kit and know how to use it life and death is just a tad important ambos can take hours to get to you something to think about

Flowerpot said:
Always carry a packet/jar of bi-carb soda in your camp supplies.
You can brush your teeth with it, you can settle an upset tummy with a small tspnful in a mug of water. You can polish your camp silver with it, you can raise your flour with it in a damper or scones annnnnnddddd,
If your going to whip up a big stew on the fire made with lightning struck wood and the meat may be a little bit tough?
Fear not, just add a teaspoon of bi carb to the pot, it will froth up for a few seconds, but then it settles in and the meat, no matter what the cut, will become as tender as two tender things put together.
Works every time.
I've used it at home in stews because quite often the 'lamb' chops we've bought from woollies have been as tough as old boots.
Pretty big bloomin' lambs, think they're actually RAM chops.
Yep BI-CARB SODA. Keep it in your camp tucker box.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a ripper tip FP :Y: thanks for sharing, nothing worse than tough meat when your hungry :N:.

Flowerpot said:
Always carry a packet/jar of bi-carb soda in your camp supplies.
You can brush your teeth with it, you can settle an upset tummy with a small tspnful in a mug of water. You can polish your camp silver with it, you can raise your flour with it in a damper or scones annnnnnddddd,
If your going to whip up a big stew on the fire made with lightning struck wood and the meat may be a little bit tough?
Fear not, just add a teaspoon of bi carb to the pot, it will froth up for a few seconds, but then it settles in and the meat, no matter what the cut, will become as tender as two tender things put together.
Works every time.
I've used it at home in stews because quite often the 'lamb' chops we've bought from woollies have been as tough as old boots.
Pretty big bloomin' lambs, think they're actually RAM chops.
Yep BI-CARB SODA. Keep it in your camp tucker box.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great tip FP! Bi-Carb soda is also great to treat ant bites - most ant bites contain formic acid, and bi-carb neutralises the acid.

Thanks folks :Y: :Y:
BI-CARB is so cheap and useful for so much stuff.
Hey Dron I will definately remember about the ant bite remedy. Thanks :Y:

Also great to put in my work boots. I actually dont mind the aroma but others in the household dont seem to appreciate the work thats gone into making that very distinctive smell. Mmmmm ( for some weird reason I actually like the smell of rotting seaweed).

some great pics of lightning struck trees, see the lightning track to the ground, all we need is to connect a forest full of trees to each other when lightning strike then we have another alternate power supply, seen a tv documentary a while back where the guy went back to the future after playing with lightning and the tree wont burn until its cut up and dried, just had to add bit about bi carb i once asked the bloke in a chinese restaurant on how he got his meat so tender soak it in bicarb and the chicken the same but he could not answer the question why is all the chicken the same texture breast should be different from the thigh bits , is it trippe, a cow gut substitute it all has the same texture and muscle fibre direction ,mmmmmm meow or wolf wolf

If you are worried about your security at night when sleeping and you don't have your dog with you just string up some fishing line (not to fine) around your camp about shin/knee high with some cans with some small stones in them.

This is a very easy thing to do giving you a bit of peace of mind and some time to think.

It might be a kangaroo probing your perimeter or maybe not :eek:

Hope this helps :Y:

A quick an effective way to set up a large tarp for shade or rain shelter.
Take 1 x pole which extends to 2.0 metres or more.
A tennis ball or door stop to sit on the top of the pole to prevent tearing your tarp.
4 x ratchet straps
And rope.
Lay the tarp on the ground and attatch a ratchet strap to each corner.
Then connect the straps to a tree at each corner.
You may need to tie some rope so as to reach some trees.
I try to attatch the ratchet/rope about 2.0 metre's up the tree.
Then tension your straps, place the pole with the tennis ball/door stop on top, under thecentre of the tarp and extend the pole.
I usually have a rope around the pole and attatched to a couple of trees in case the wind gets up and the pole falls on your noggin.
Yes its happened to me.
By the time you have read this post, two people would have set up the tarp.
Cheers Steve

^^or just buy a tarp from anaconda?

and don't put something on the roof of your car then think I'll grab it after. You won't.

The cold weather and reading Dr Ducks post in Today I Bought made me remember one of Kate's most favourite things to pack when setting off camping is the old car seat sheep skin covers she gets at garage sales or the Op Shop. These are draped over the back of the camp chairs and of course the seat giving you a comfortable seat that keeps the wind and chill off your back :Y: and they work a treat.

Latest posts