Bush tricks - share yours here...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any 'tricks' you've aquired out in the field , camping etc please share them here!....

1 I've picked up is if a trees been hit by lightning , the dried timber doesn't burn. This will save you cutting the timber for fire wood.

if your in hilly areas where its dry e.g. no scrub but high trees looking for water is easy if all the creeks are dry look for the most greenest grass or where there's a patch of scrub as this will indicate a natural spring if its moist under the plants dig deeper and you will find water its also an good indication of faults or folds for gold deposits as most will be found near a natural spring. also some types of rock will have moss growing on them in dry creek beds the rock will be in most cases wet you can dig a grove in the rock to form a puddle this will fill with water and in turn fill your hand with water if you don't have a bottle with you. remember you can go days without food but not long if you run out of water.

A good fire lighter is an empty can (in my case normally beer can) with the top open fill with petrol (yeah I know if you've got it) and build it up with kindling. If you choose the brain dead option of throwing the petrol on a lit fire it'll give heat for about 30 seconds. If you fill the can or half can it'll last for about half an hour lighting the kindling and allow you to build it off up from there :Y: it's the vapour that burns not the liquid :Y:. Scared the crap out of people throwing lit ciggy buts into a container with petrol in it :lol: anyway it works well as a fire lighter used in the above description.

ahhhaa the tree struck by lighting, how do you tell well its dead for a start and usually you will see the lighting track down the trunk but you have to look real hard

the fire place 2 logs side by side and a 3rd onto this will result in the fire burning with the oxygen supply and the logs radiating heat to each other

Upside said:
if a trees been hit by lightning , the dried timber doesn't burn. This will save you cutting the timber for fire wood.

This is a response that I saw on another web site re the same topic:

"Well you guys laugh all you want,if you do happen to get it to burn it will electrocute your stove and all the smoke will give you a charge. If you try to clean out your stove to soon after burning you will probably get a bad shock. I have spent a lot of money on a special stove that turns this wood into household electricity. I actually have my stove hard wired to my meter box. While burning lightning struck wood it actually causes the meter to run backwards.
Just for safety,if you live within 50 miles of me I would suggest you bring it over for safe burning. If you want to travel further than that,go for it. It is always better to be safe then sorry. I will gladly accept all the lightning struck wood you have,,,,,,,,,,you know for safety. This is for your own good so bring it over ASAP. One last thing it has been known to blow ones tires out while driving down the road,(the wind creates static electricity)it is best to cut it to 16 inch lengths and split it before you load it,tarping also helps.(this helps retard the spark for a few days) I will take all you can bring,as a service to you. However in the near future because of a new energy tax,I will be forced to charge you $50.00 a cord for this disposal service."

BigWave said:
Upside said:
if a trees been hit by lightning , the dried timber doesn't burn. This will save you cutting the timber for fire wood.

"Well you guys laugh all you want,if you do happen to get it to burn it will electrocute your stove and all the smoke will give you a charge. If you try to clean out your stove to soon after burning you will probably get a bad shock. I have spent a lot of money on a special stove that turns this wood into household electricity. I actually have my stove hard wired to my meter box. While burning lightning struck wood it actually causes the meter to run backwards.
Just for safety,if you live within 50 miles of me I would suggest you bring it over for safe burning. If you want to travel further than that,go for it. It is always better to be safe then sorry. I will gladly accept all the lightning struck wood you have,,,,,,,,,,you know for safety. This is for your own good so bring it over ASAP. One last thing it has been known to blow ones tires out while driving down the road,(the wind creates static electricity)it is best to cut it to 16 inch lengths and split it before you load it,tarping also helps.(this helps retard the spark for a few days) I will take all you can bring,as a service to you. However in the near future because of a new energy tax,I will be forced to charge you $50.00 a cord for this disposal service."

Have I got the date wrong (not April 1st), or is this meant to be in the jokes section? Can anyone personally verify any of these lightning related observations?

Rob P.

iamagoldenoldie2 said:
ahhhaa the tree struck by lighting, how do you tell well its dead for a start and usually you will see the lighting track down the trunk but you have to look real hard

the fire place 2 logs side by side and a 3rd onto this will result in the fire burning with the oxygen supply and the logs radiating heat to each other
This was in Bendigo after a big storm.
1532132478_img_20180215_112926-1920x2560.jpg
1532132532_img_20180215_112909-1920x2560.jpg

Always carry a packet/jar of bi-carb soda in your camp supplies.
You can brush your teeth with it, you can settle an upset tummy with a small tspnful in a mug of water. You can polish your camp silver with it, you can raise your flour with it in a damper or scones annnnnnddddd,
If your going to whip up a big stew on the fire made with lightning struck wood and the meat may be a little bit tough?
Fear not, just add a teaspoon of bi carb to the pot, it will froth up for a few seconds, but then it settles in and the meat, no matter what the cut, will become as tender as two tender things put together.
Works every time.
I've used it at home in stews because quite often the 'lamb' chops we've bought from woollies have been as tough as old boots.
Pretty big bloomin' lambs, think they're actually RAM chops.
Yep BI-CARB SODA. Keep it in your camp tucker box.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What steps do you take if approached by an angry brown snake ..... ?

Very fast and long ones !

PabloP said:
BigWave said:
Upside said:

Have I got the date wrong (not April 1st), or is this meant to be in the jokes section? Can anyone personally verify any of these lightning related observations?

Rob P.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/q&a/notes/070524-5.htm

My dad used to use Brazil nuts for candles. He was born in India and spent his first 17 years there, commuting to Geelong Grammar for his schooling.
Not sure if you can find these or Pringles in the Ozzie bush though :D

Not a bush trick as such, but more like common sense.... unless it cant be avoided I never set up camp after dark in unfamiliar territory.
Its not pleasant discovering youve plonked yourself fair and square on top of a nest of angry ants or worse next morning.... the buggers are all underground after sundown.... :eek:

Latest posts