Hello from the Picton, Southern Highlands NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've been interested in fossicking for a couple of years now and have finally decided to take the plunge and get myself some gear for my birthday next month. I'm incredibly excited to start and basically know nothing! I've started researching what I need and places I can go to get started. I was wondering if anyone had some very beginner tips or could direct me where to look for information.

Also if there is anywhere close to Picton that I could go to practice panning and get some technique before I do a bit of a bigger trip.

Thank you for all the information that has been shared on these forums already, it is invaluable!

Katie!

Welcome,
Sorry I don't know any places near Picton.
You can still get a few colours in Sunny Corner, not sure if that is the closest to you.
As you are just starting out, don't forget to check out "A guide to fossicking in New South Wales" and the forestry website
( http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking )
Once you find your first bit of gold you get hooked.
Welcome to this hobby.

Hi Katie,

What sort of gear are you looking at? What are you planning on fossicking for and what are your fossicking goals?

If you are chasing gold then AFAIK the greater Sydney basin is devoid of gold. Which means driving. The Shoalhaven River is only a few hrs drive from Picton or if you cross over the Blue Mountains there are a lot of options around Bathurst or Oberon. Oallen Ford is about a 2hr drive.

My tip for panning is watch YouTube videos. I used to practise panning in a plastic tub and then re-pan the tailings until I was sure I wasn't losing any gold. You can also throw 3 bits of lead shot into your pan and then if your technique is good you should still have 3 in your pan at the end!

Welcome. Go to Oallen Ford and do as much research on the Upper Shoalhaven you can without being too nerdy. I have found gold from fine to small nuggets either side of the "Ford" (now also a new high-level bridge). Make &/or buy a range of tools to clean out crevices in slate or other bedrock, plus a chisel point crowbar to break open cracks and crevices. The shingle also holds gold, as does some of bench gravels to NE and NW of the crossing. Don't expect to make a fortune but you will find gold, plus observe what others do. Plenty of people go there to watch and practice panning. Get yourself a river sluice as well as this speeds up processing in rives and creeks with good water flow. Other spots I recommend would be Turon River, Hill End, Sunny Corner, Windeyer, Nundle. Good luck.

Latest posts