You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

brianincnb
16 July 2018 10:04 pm

hi all,

I've been a bit of a silent member smile

By now, most of you would of heard about the cricket buckle book resource that I've created and made available for free as a PDF.
Purpose the 'buckle book' as its become known, is to document the variety and designs of the recovered cricket buckles, and to provided a record of them.
It also has a section of other buckles I've found interesting.

v3 draft is currently at ~618 unique cricket buckle designs. This project has kept me pretty busy, taking most of my spare time. One of my highlights was that
I've identified two cricket buckles that contains the names of Australian cricket players from the 1860-1880's on them., one being 3 Aboriginal players from the 1st Australian Team,
the other featuring Fred Spofforth, "The Demon Bowler". I am pleased to know that the Melbourne Cricket Club Museum has both these cricket buckles.

I'm waiting on some more pictures to come from the MCCM, and then I'll be ready to release v3 of the book.

I'm also wondering if any of you hunters have any pictures you'd like to contribute to the building of the resource.

If you would like to send in some pictures; front & back, with dimensions, please email the address in the book,

Buckle resource: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4 … J1N1U/view

cheers
-Brian
(in cold canberra!)

5 users like this post: AngerManagement, AussieChris, Trash, silver, Syndyne

Dignit
16 July 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Brian
First I've heard of the book.
I found an 1855 bronze belt buckle while detecting. It has the triangular date code on the back.
When I get a moment I'll dig out my photos and send thru to you.
Cheers Andy

GPX 5000, pick, Jeep Cherokee, Jayco Swift and gold fever

1 user likes this post: Trash

Dignit
16 July 2018 11:33 pm

Just downloaded the book and found you already have my photo of the back of the buckle I have on page 444. You have someone else's photo of the front.
Proud as punch you have a photo of mine in your book.
Cool!

ctxkid
17 July 2018 08:09 am

brianincnb wrote:

hi all,

I've been a bit of a slient member smile,

By now, most of you would of heard about the cricket buckle book resource that I've created and made available for free as a PDF.
Purpose the 'buckle book' as its become known, is to document the variety and designs of the recovered cricket buckles, and to provided a record of them.
It also has a section of other buckles I've found interesting.

v3 draft is currently at ~618 unique cricket buckle designs. This project has kept me pretty busy, taking most of my spare time. One of my highlights was that
I've identified two cricket buckles that contains the names of Australian cricket players from the 1860-1880's on them., one being 3 Aboriginal players from the 1st Australian Team,
the other featuring Fred Spofforth, "The Demon Bowler". I am pleased to know that the Melbourne Cricket Club Museum has both these cricket buckles.

I'm waiting on some more pictures to come from the MCCM, and then I'll be ready to release v3 of the book.

I'm also wondering if any of you hunters have any pictures you'd like to contribute to the building of the resource.

If you would like to send in some pictures; front & back, with dimensions, please email the address in the book,

cheers
-Brian
(in cold canberra!)

Gday Brian
I have two more buckles, they are in my finds pages , and my mate found another, please message me your contact address and i will send them

...................................................Such is life........................................................
Oldest Copper coin 1799 left seated half penny, Oldest Silver 1834 Shilling

1 user likes this post: AngerManagement

ctxkid
17 July 2018 09:02 am

found between bathurst and mudgee smile
1531778526_p1120286.jpg
1531778526_p1120287.jpg

...................................................Such is life........................................................

3 users like this post: aussiefarmer, The Scrounger, Trash

ctxkid
17 July 2018 09:07 am

my mates buckle
1531778819_wp_20180505_013.jpg

4 users like this post: aussiefarmer, The Scrounger, Trash, mineallmine

ctxkid
17 July 2018 09:32 am

ctxkid wrote:

Gday Brian
I have two more buckles, they are in my finds pages , and my mate found another, please message me your contact address and i will send them

i am on my pc now , so have posted them up

ctxkid
17 July 2018 09:32 am

1531780354_wp_20180616_003-001.jpg
1531780354_wp_20180617_001.jpg

4 users like this post: Trash, aussiefarmer, The Scrounger, mineallmine

brianincnb
17 July 2018 01:52 pm

Thanks Dign-it.
With the book, I'm trying to collate the most complete information about each buckle that I can. Which means, I sometimes use multiple pictures.
The registry stamp, the letters didn't match up to any of the reported letters for the period. So I'm wondering if that was a decision by the maker to use their 'own' mark / date system.
I've found, that not all buckles with a registry stamp, can be tracked back to reference in the historical records in the UK. ie: registry stamped items didnt have to be reported to a central authority.

Would you be able to measure your buckle, and get a better pic of the registry stamp if you have the time? I'd like to check if yours is a different production run.

thanks b.

Dig'n-it wrote:

Just downloaded the book and found you already have my photo of the back of the buckle I have on page 444. You have someone else's photo of the front.
Cool!

2 users like this post: AngerManagement, Trash

brianincnb
17 July 2018 02:04 pm

Thanks ctxkid,
that 3 part buckle is a good find, and the thin buckle, has a pretty cool locking mechanism, the ground has been good to the one!

I thought I saw a rectangular buckle, with cricket ball in center, surround by cricket balls in one of our collection pictures? I've seen that buckle twice before, however your find is the most complete one that I've seen. The others have had the belt loop broken off.

Are you able to post that one, and a picture of the back of your thin buckle? and measure them as well please?
yes,I have buckle OCD smile Getting back photos helps to identify if the buckle is a 1 piece press style or 2 part buckle with back-plate and centre-piece.

Appreciate your help with building the buckle book,

cheers -b.

ctxkid wrote:

Gday Brian

silver
17 July 2018 08:14 pm

There's no fool like an old fool lol. yikes
Where do I download from.... hmm
is there a link ? 8)
big_smile

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

Goldpick
17 July 2018 10:23 pm

These are the only two complete cricket finds I've had so far, the fellow leaning against his bat was thought to be an 1868 pin from the Australian tour of England. Pretty sure that was confirmed from another one found on Kimbucktwo going off the apparel worn by the cricketer. Been meaning to drop it off at the Aboriginal cricket museum at Harrow, due to the proximity of the find and the fact that some of the Aboriginal cricketers travelled past this location on occasions.

1531826408_1461860505_img_20160417_163508.jpg

1531826421_1437297020_img_20150719_180240.jpg

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

5 users like this post: 7.62marksman, aussiefarmer, The Scrounger, Trash, Moneybox

brianincnb
17 July 2018 10:34 pm

hi silver,

google for "the australian detectorists recovered cricket buckles book"

I'm yet to reach the required number of posts to put a URL in a post - sorry!

silver wrote:

is there a link ? 8)
big_smile

Goldpick, I actually your picture of "Champion with Bat & Ball" as the background on my Desktop, I quite like that buckle smile

1 user likes this post: silver

Dron
17 July 2018 10:40 pm

Hi Brian,

I also found a cricket buckle but I couldn't find it in your book. I was hoping you could tell me more about it, like how old it might be? I couldn't see any makers mark or diamond on it anywhere.

Here is the link

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 67#p425467

Thanks,
Dron.

SDC2300 aka "The Birdshot Bandit" + SP01 + Gog Phones. Equinox 800 aka "Johnny kNOXville" + Tyger Snake digger. Wollongong based.

brianincnb
17 July 2018 11:05 pm

hi Dron,

I would date your buckle 1860-1870. why? well based on its construction, type, shape, its consistent with the date ranges in the book for buckles, that have registry stamps of that era.

Goldpicks buckle above clearly depicts W.G.Grace, from wikipedia "..in 1866, he became widely recognised as the finest cricketer in England. Just after his eighteenth birthday in July 1866, Grace confirmed his potential with an innings of 224 not out for All-England against Surrey at The Oval" . The buckle depicts a mature man, so a good guestimate for Goldpick's buckle would be 1870-1875

cheers -b.

Dron wrote:

Hi Brian,
.... I was hoping you could tell me more about it, like how old it might be? I couldn't see any makers mark or diamond on it anywhere.

Thanks,
Dron.

Last edited by brianincnb (17 July 2018 11:19 pm)

1 user likes this post: Goldpick

silver
17 July 2018 11:12 pm

brianincnb wrote:

hi silver,

silver wrote:

is there a link ? 8)
big_smile

Goldpick, I actually your picture of "Champion with Bat & Ball" as the background on my Desktop, I quite like that buckle smile

Just takes me to some other forums
Sorry, no interest in other forums mate
where's the direct link to download it ? big_smile

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

7.62marksman
17 July 2018 11:13 pm

As above mate

Confucius says Before you embark on a journey of revenge "Dig two graves"

Dignit
17 July 2018 11:51 pm

brianincnb wrote:

Thanks Dign-it.
With the book, I'm trying to collate the most complete information about each buckle that I can. Which means, I sometimes use multiple pictures.
The registry stamp, the letters didn't match up to any of the reported letters for the period. So I'm wondering if that was a decision by the maker to use their 'own' mark / date system.
I've found, that not all buckles with a registry stamp, can be tracked back to reference in the historical records in the UK. ie: registry stamped items didnt have to be reported to a central authority.

Would you be able to measure your buckle, and get a better pic of the registry stamp if you have the time? I'd like to check if yours is a different production run.

thanks b.

Dig'n-it wrote:

Cool!

Will do over the next couple of days. Cheers

Eldorado
17 July 2018 11:58 pm

silver wrote:
brianincnb wrote:

hi silver,

silver wrote:

is there a link ? 8)
big_smile

Here is the 2nd version Silver.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4 … J1N1U/view

1 user likes this post: silver

silver
18 July 2018 03:30 am

Eldorado wrote:
silver wrote:
brianincnb wrote:

hi silver,

silver wrote:

is there a link ? 8)
big_smile

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwENP4 … J1N1U/view

Thanks mate ! ...... 8)
Love your work ! thumbsup
yikes .... Long book. big_smile

1 user likes this post: Eldorado

silver
18 July 2018 04:15 am

Might have to use the PC to look, phone memory is low and I can only get up into the 100's page section before my phone does it's naana. yikes
Looking good though. big_smile
PC will be better regards reading print and bigger photo vision..... looking forward to seeing it all now. thumbsup
Bl00dy big job you've undetaken there Brian. thumbsup

ctxkid
18 July 2018 08:35 am

Eldorado wrote:

there must be several on google dive as that is where one of my copies is

brianincnb
18 July 2018 10:32 am

thanks for putting the link up. The google drive link will only refer to the latest version only.
So download and store a copy locally for the day that google can's google drive tongue

Eldorado wrote:

Goldpick
18 July 2018 09:54 pm

Impressive resource, l can't believe I just scanned through all those pages. thumbsup

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

ctxkid
19 July 2018 10:12 am

my first buckle is on page 224/5 cool cool