X-Terra Finds 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting my first PA thread on a bit of a high. This is my best treasure hunt ever, so far. :) :)

1531043619_img_20180702_123403.jpg

Six hour hunt of a park on Sunday 1st July following an all-day music festival the previous day. Had the spot to myself for a short while then another guy turned up with his CTX. He took one half of the field and I did the other. He knocked off just after dark with over $100.00. I stayed until about 8.00 pm and went home with $133.50 plus a bit of jewellery. Most is cheap stuff, but there is a big hoop earring that is sterling another earring that could be, a possible sterling toe ring and the little ring inside the hoop might be gold, it has no markings.

1531043943_img_20180702_113317.jpg

Fantastic :party: + :party:

I'm glad you are here showing us the good stuff from you 6hr hunt.

That is top $$$$$$$$$$$$ ,you will remember the 1st of July 2018 with very fond memories.

Silver and hopefully gold also :cool:

Top effort :Y:

Geez, better than my highest total of goldies in one session...... wish we had music festivals around here these days. Well done. :Y: :Y:

golddiggerart said:
Fantastic effort mate and the other guy must have been happy as well. :) Nice start to your thread. :Y:

Thank's Art.

Yes the other guy came over to me to say he was going home as night fell. I asked him how much he had found so he did a count and had $95. So he came back over and said he would stay another half an hour because it was his best hunt ever and he wanted to try to crack the ton. I never saw him leave so I assume he found his $5 and went home a very happy detectorist!

Heatho said:
Geez, better than my highest total of goldies in one session...... wish we had music festivals around here these days. Well done. :Y: :Y:

Wow I didn't think it would be higher than your highest Heatho. I see your regular high totals and get motivated.

The music festival paddock is a great detecting experience. There's nothing quite like drunkenness, stonedness, darkness and a heaving mass of bodies in the mosh pit to result in dropped goldies and jewellery. Alot of the jewellery and some of the coins came from the mosh pit area, once it falls off it gets stomped on into the soil and lies there waiting for detection.

I wish they had one every week!

Troutman said:
Heatho said:

Wow I didn't think it would be higher than your highest Heatho. I see your regular high totals and get motivated.

The music festival paddock is a great detecting experience. There's nothing quite like drunkenness, stonedness, darkness and a heaving mass of bodies in the mosh pit to result in dropped goldies and jewellery. Alot of the jewellery and some of the coins came from the mosh pit area, once it falls off it gets stomped on into the soil and lies there waiting for detection.

I wish they had one every week!

We used to get music festivals here but now we just get DJ's in trendy wine bars and cocktail lounges....... :(

I don't think there's been a proper mosh pit around here in 15 years.....

The people in the mosh pit must be wondering where all their jewellery and money went, now we know - ripper first hunt. :Y:

Had a great week last week!

Tried a new spot on Thursday, close to home, but a very little used cricket field. It's not old and was first dozed out of the bush in the 1970s so not much chance of pre-decs or old cricket buckles etc. The caretaker lady told me it had seen some detecting action in the past and she didn't expect I'd find much as even the quarterly markets were cancelled about 3 years ago. It took a long time to find much, over 2 two hours for the first coin, a $2 goldie, the turtle was found just prior to that and was indicative of how the day was going. The lady came and had a chat to me when I had $8 and pointed out exactly where the market stalls used to set up. With that information the search area narrowed and the day got a lot better. Quite a few mini coin spills, then best spill I've had 4 x $2 altogether just in the grass roots. The rings were in a patch about a metre squared and I'm assuming they fell off a vendors table. They seem to be junk mood rings, but all rang up as gold coins. Total $70.80 makes it my second best session ever.

1531110259_5th_july_2018.jpg

Find of the day was this silver bracelet with lots of stones in it. Buried about 50 mm down and lying on it's edge so it hadn't been crushed flat by the lawn-mowing tractors. It is solid 925 and weighs just over 45 grams. Have tried google searching for something similar, but can't find it on the net. Biggest and nicest silver item I have found.

1531111037_img_20180709_133033.jpg

Goldpick said:
The people in the mosh pit must be wondering where all their jewellery and money went, now we know - ripper first hunt. :Y:

Hi Goldpick,

Sorry if I've led you to think this was my first hunt. I've been detecting regularly for about 18 months now and been a PA member for about 2 years. Paid off the x-terra 705 in finds last year in about 4 months. I've just gotten enough spare time and IT skill to start my own thread. Not sure that starting on such a great result is the wisest thing, but figured it was too good not to share.

Cheers,
Graham

7.62marksman said:
nice turtle mate :Y: :Y: :Y:

the rest looks ok as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks mate. At one point I was thinking the turtle was going to be all I got for the day other than canslaw.

ctxkid said:
cherry picking high tones ??

doing very well :party: :party:

I usually will dig anything above a steady 20 on the x-terra which is a 20 cent coin. Amazing thing about Thursday was that I didn't find the 20c, 50c, and 10c until the end of the day. I'm wondering if the previous detectorists the caretaker told me had been over the site had somehow cherry picked the big loud tones of 20c and 50c coins with a machine that missed the goldies. Doesn't make much sense I know and the goldies, despite being mostly older and well buried, were clear and loud on my machine. It was just a nice day where nearly everything was a goldie.

Latest posts