Ophir etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Taking the family to see Dubbo zoo during the week and got 'permission' to take the family panning/sluicing on the way home to Sydney. I have always wanted to see Ophir but wondering if anyone has tips for somewhere around Ophir or Orange? Only want colour, not fussed if we can't pick it up with our fingers!
Cheers,
Golden Rivett

Mate the river crossing in the camp ground at ophir is probably as good as it gets , just anywhere downstream of it , the main reef that started the rush was right there :Y:
Theres a couple of mines you can walk straight into from there so take a torch , toilets are well kept and its a nice camping area , the information center in orange can hook you up with a good information leaflet that explains ophir.
The road in is generally good the dirt section can get a little rough but its not far on it.
Well worth seeing , but remember many 1000s have already been there before but still i would be shocked if you didnt get any colors.

I have had a bit of luck there on the inside bend about 600m downstream and roughly the same distance upstream, the bend up there too, there is a working gold mine practically right above it. I have seen a 3oz and an 8oz nugget come out that area all within a casual walk from the campground. Even right beside the campground you will find colour but its pretty flogged out being in rock chucking distance from bbq's, dunnys and fresh water. Top little spot.

Goldenrivett you have 2 choice's on getting back to sydney, the choice depends upon are you planning to camp overnight and do you have a 4wd, close to Dubbo is the stuart town region then onto orange, ophir and lewis ponds is a dirt backroad and eventual is tar on the backroad to bathurst tar starts at the intersection of the kewis ponds , gowan road intersection. the other way back is via dunnedoo, then mudgee. there is a large museum on the way back , its in the town on the old 5 $$$ note. From mudgee you can go to sofala the turn off at ilford might be the shorter way to sofala, wattle flat, hargreaves and the hillend region . from hill end you can get to the turon river and macquarie via the bridle track cross over at the root hog fire trail and head back to bathurst which also takes you past sunny corner for a bout of crevicing but you need a nsw fossicking licence in the state forest before you go do some research on youtube "adventure gold" has a wealth of info on the bathurst region dinner at lithgow an aussie bbq but keep an eye out for the roos almost run one down leaving the lithgow aldi store lol

Thanks for the directions and advice - I have had the fossicking license each year for the past three years, but rarely get anywhere it is required. Don't want to rush things!

Thanks again, I had a scratch around for a hour, got some colour - bigger bits than I have had at Oallen Ford so cheers.
1532243026_20180722_155844.jpg

You need a permit which is available online for around 25 dollars.

Yes it's legal to use detectors.

If you're sleeping at the campground there be prepared as it will be cold at night. Freezing cold.

What permit do you need at Ophir ?
I though you only need a permit for state forests ? I do have one of those ! But have no other permit and been to Ophir a few times , gulp !

Regards

Gunter

Gunter said:
What permit do you need at Ophir ?
I though you only need a permit for state forests ? I do have one of those ! But have no other permit and been to Ophir a few times , gulp !

Regards

Gunter

Yes a nsw state forest fossiking permit is it. Ophir bushland is state forest not a national park. That's why technically you can camp there for free although there is a volunteer group that ask for 10 dollars a night. You aren't obligated to pay but it goes towards keeping the campground clean which is fair deal imo.

You don't need a permit for Ophir & it is not a State Forest. Ophir is a crown recreational reserve managed by a community trust of volunteers (Ophir Reserve Trust).
You can detect there no worries. About 600ha of reserve land.
There's a toilet block - no showers.
There is a charge for camping - Now $10/night per vehicle. Contact Orange Visitors Centre, Civic Square, Byng St, tel: (02) 6361 5226 for information on camping, paying etc.
https://www.visitorange.com.au/ophir-recreation-reserve
Map of area:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1534642454_ophir_map_a3.pdf

P.s being a community trust of volunteers it doesn't hurt to leave $10 in the honesty box (if it's still there?) even for a day trip.

Latest posts