Maryborough or Bendigo?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
g'day all! first time post as i live in tassie so generally get around the tassie boards. i am coming to country vic for work next week till the end of july and have the option to be based around Maryborough or Bendigo with the hope of getting out after work for a couple hours each night for a swing or a dig. i own an sdc2300 and have only found a lone 1.8 grammer down here. i also love doing a bit of crevicing as thats where ive got pretty much all of my gold. just curious where people would base themself, if given such a choice? :Y:
Brendan

Welcome to the PA forums ..... and well done, 1.8gms with the SDC is a great find.

Base yourself in either, they both have extensive goldfields on their doorstep and like all goldfields they've been extensively detected BUT there's always the piece that someone has missed.

Personally found more around M'borough but that's only because I detect there more often (closer to home). But have found SDC sized gold at Bendigo as well. Last outing snared 5 bits and 1 totally hidden in quartz (0.71gms in total) ......

1530880293_fullsizeoutput_167c.jpg

BUT others do better there.

Which ever you decide on get one of the John Tully books for that area and just pick a spot .... no one gets it all.

Cheers T.

ohhh youre a legend T! thanks for the info matey. ill certainly buy one of those books. i found some nice cheap accommodation in eddington which looks to be in between the two and will work out of maryborough i think so i can be closer to accom and swing and dig around there. i just have to acquaint myself with the online geovic database. looks like a solid place to start exploring for places. i really appreciate the welcoming piece of advice :Y:

Either side is find but plenty of ground between the two! If it was an all expenses paid trip I'd lean toward the Maryborough option, not so nice as Bendigo, but better prospects for gold imo.

The blokes in at Bendigo gold tend to be pretty quiet about where to look, but both gold shops to the east seemed to be extremely happy to point a bloke with no feel for the ground in the right place to start.

Call into coiltek Maryborough wherever you end up. Top blokes and willing to point you in a good direction. Round Maldon is always good for a swing. Plenty of shotty pellets but some decent nuggets have been found too.

thanks heaps for the advice guys. yeah im really liking the idea of maryborough and definitely keen to get into the prospecting supply shops and check out some history. We don't have much in the way of gold anything down here on the island.

Hey all, So the powers that be decided that they didn't need me in either of those places and instead they sent me to Mildura >.<
I still got got to drive through the GT and stopped in at eaglehawk for a few hours for nothing but shotty slugs and a couple hours around the camp ground at the whipstick for much of the same...

no colour at all but plenty of targets that couldlve been.. well i suppose i still managed to wrangle up some good karma with the rubbish i cleaned up.

1532818255_20180726_203044.jpg

So anyways, Next sunday i get my first day off (13 days on 1 off) and will be getting up nice and early and heading back down the Calder to the GT, i'm thinking about going to St arnaud for a bit of a swing. Is there anyone out there that can help me out understanding how to find information on the past diggings?? In tas we have something like Geovic Called MRT (minerals resources Tas) and on that system you can actually click on the past mining activities and bring up all associated reports and information. Is there someway i can access that sort of info over here in Vic so that i can at least better my chances of finding a likely location?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers Brendan :Y:

I did think this. lots of trash about.. either people are picking up rubbish and throwing it back out, or the ground hasn't been walked over...

In the whipstick near the camp ground there are lots of false signals. Verrrry hot ground indeedio. i thought i was onto some rippers, then i realised i was getting that signal over pretty much every bit of ground i swung over :(

old hand said:
I do not know what the ground is like in Tassie ,but in most spots in the GT just back the setting of regards john :Y:

hey john, im running an sdc2300 and there isnt too many settings to be had... i think i was running it on a 2/5 which is pretty low as it is...just very hot soil out that way i think

mids0n said:
In tas we have something like Geovic Called MRT (minerals resources Tas) and on that system you can actually click on the past mining activities and bring up all associated reports and information. Is there someway i can access that sort of info over here in Vic so that i can at least better my chances of finding a likely location

Hi Brendan,
Firstly sorry that you're based in Mildura rather than the GT, up that way I'd be checking out some of the popular swimming beaches on the Murray or some old parks, not from that area but always worth a look if you can't chase gold.

Yes GeoVic is the way to go. You can log in as anon or register (free). I bit of fiddling to get what you need but gives good accurate historical info.

Cheers T.

Teemore said:
mids0n said:
In tas we have something like Geovic Called MRT (minerals resources Tas) and on that system you can actually click on the past mining activities and bring up all associated reports and information. Is there someway i can access that sort of info over here in Vic so that i can at least better my chances of finding a likely location

Hi Brendan,
Firstly sorry that you're based in Mildura rather than the GT, up that way I'd be checking out some of the popular swimming beaches on the Murray or some old parks, not from that area but always worth a look if you can't chase gold.

Yes GeoVic is the way to go. You can log in as anon or register (free). I bit of fiddling to get what you need but gives good accurate historical info.

Cheers T.

I'm not bad at using GeoVic to see the old diggings and that sort of thing but how do i actually see the reports from any particular area? i want to have a bit of a read and find out how much gold was recording as being recovered from certain areas, what depths, what caused the old timers to leave, that sort of thing. If such a resource is possible that is... as i said, it's available in the maps in tas so one would think that it'd be available here in vic. You just click on the depost (alluvial or hardrock) and it will bring up the associated literature. If that is possible on GeoVic and there's something i'm missing (like a certain button i need to press) if someone could help me out that'd be much appreciated :D :Y:

Or even if someone just comes with me next sunday and could just take me to some likely spots. I'm not wasting another day finding nothing. I will find something, i have to!!!!

What area do you want to hit tomorrow. Ill see what I can dig up on Geovic and then let you know what info is available. it varies between areas. some have a lot of info and some have almost none. Hopefully my internet connection will not go on the fritz tonight.

Do your own research like everyone else, know one is going to give you an x marks the spot to find gold! If only it where that easy

Sorry midson. internet is not going to let me access geovic. from memory you have to have historic mine data turned on in active layers and then zoom in to be able to highlight the various mines named or numbered.

jethro said:
What area do you want to hit tomorrow. Ill see what I can dig up on Geovic and then let you know what info is available. it varies between areas. some have a lot of info and some have almost none. Hopefully my internet connection will not go on the fritz tonight.

ahh well... im here now so i will just go where i think i may stand a chance. thanks anyway jethro. :Y:

hey mec30, theres nothing i hate more than being falsely accused. i didnt ask for a spot i asked how to access certain information so that i could DO MY OWN RESEARCH as you suggested. buzz off would ya!

Latest posts