Should I upgrade to a GPZ7000?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been happy with my GPX5000 running a 14 x 9 evo coil, but a bloke in our club has been finding gold that others have missed using a GPZ7000. In fact he recently found a 400 gram nugget about 60 cm depth. He swears by it.
I was wondering whether I should sell my 5000 and upgrade. I'd hate to buy the GPZ and find out that a newer and better version will come on the market.
Are they really that good? Hell, you can buy a reasonable car for what they cost. I reckon that my 5000 would have found that nugget. It's just that there are hardly any nuggets that size. Any suggestions?

I took a mate with the GPX 5000 and the same coil as you with me to one of my spots and when ever we got a target we tested my 7000 then his 5000 and basically what we found was not much difference to about 30 cm but where the 7000 had it over the 5000 was it's power went through the leaf litter where my mate has to rake his ground for his 5000 and sdc2300 both to be sure he gets it all. This saves you a lot of time and energy and most targets down over 30cm the 7000 still finds them easy so to me they are worth the money, my opinion only though because they both are great detectors and all have a place in your kit if you can afford them.
As they say get the best you can afford you get what you pay for, 5000s hold good resale value and you may not have to put a lot with it on a second hand 7000, just a thought.

if someone would pay what i want for my 5 i would have a 7 tomorrow, but it is dumb to have the two top detectors not getting used|
if YOU want it , buy it :Y:

Hi
In my opinion it depends a lot on why you are doing this great hobby. If you are looking for the bigger gold, I believe you are going to have to dig for it and I mean bigger, deeper holes. I myself find bending over and digging etc takes a toll on the body I am not getting any younger or healthier lmao.

I am envious of those with a Zed but happy to just get out in the bush and find the odd tiddler without digging to far and I still live in hope of finding somethig a little bigger than sub grammers.

That is why I got the 2300 its light, finds gold , reasonable price and more to the point suits my needs.

Before rushing out to spend big dollars you probably need to ask yourself what do you want from the hobby . Imo

Bob

Westozadventures said:
I guess that 400 gram nug at 60cm had never been swung over with a 5000, last year I found 105 grams in one hole at 2 foot deep or more and I have video evidence to back up those claims.
not doubting ya dude :cool:
but
would luv to see ya vid :Y: :Y:

ctxkid said:
Westozadventures said:
I guess that 400 gram nug at 60cm had never been swung over with a 5000, last year I found 105 grams in one hole at 2 foot deep or more and I have video evidence to back up those claims.
not doubting ya dude :cool:
but
would luv to see ya vid :Y: :Y:

Was a massive day for me so it's a 3 part video. Once you get on the channel you'll find part 2-3 easy.
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9h3hv-EDI[/video]

I guess it all comes down to budget and your gut feel.

Yes people are uncovering nuggets using the 7000, but they are also collecting nuggets with the 5000. It all comes down to putting in the time on the ground and putting the coil over the nugget, then hearing the signal and digging it.

While I don't have a 5000, I have friends who swear by it. Most say they would like to try the 7000 but are not willing to spend the big $$$$ just to find out they don't like it or don't use it. If you are good mates with the other person in your club using the 7000, ask if you can have a go (with them watching). See if you can get the feel of it. If it feels good and you like how it performs, it then comes down to you. You might be able to hire one, if you can find a store willing to hire it. Some stores also give you a discount off a new machine, if you hire one then purchase through them.

Good luck with your choice

If you are able to I would suggest spending minimum 4 hours using one and then decide if you can physically use a 7000. I'm a big bloke and can use it for a day without any harness type set up but that's in no way good for long term shoulder/back health.

I either use a bungee off a pack or a hip stick and both work well but it is still a big unit to swing around.

I'd agree with others re: the 400 gms at 60 cm. I'd be amazed if any of the GPX series wouldn't pick that up. But of course it depends on the type of gold, orientation in the ground, ground mineralisation, settings, how you hold your tongue, etc.

I am frequently amazed at the depth of targets I dig and the tiny size of gold that the 14" coil can get on the 7000. But, as someone else mentioned, be prepared to dig plenty of DEEP holes. And 90% of them are for rubbish. And on many goldfields I imagine the rubbish/gold ratio favors rubbish heavily. So lots of time spent digging deep holes for bolts and shovel heads. My deepest hole = 1.2 metres for a F@r<ing big bolt :N:

As everyone says, if you can afford it, why not? But if it is stretching the purse strings and your body is possibly not going to stand up to it then the 4500 is probably fine to stick with. And wait for the super light weight 8000 with discrimination :D

Of course if I were heading to the wide open spaces of WA...I would not leave home without a GPZ ;)

None of that probably helps in any way but good luck with your choice :D

I got all 3 and they all have there certain use in certain spots, 2300 patch finder small gold ,5000 change coils to suit ground and terrain ,7000 set handle ground and targets u r chasing, i never traded my 5000 because its not far behind 7000 in certain ways but i in Wa for 5 mths so its worth while buying 7000 just put on a steel phase enhancer wow, personally look at your coils and enhancer

I'd have a 7000 again in a heartbeat (had to sell mine when $ got tight). Where it really excels is on reefy prickly gold. A GPX will struggle on those bits at depth. Other than that the machines are pretty close although the 7000 will punch deeper overall in highly mineralised ground.

I thank you all for your replies. I did read all your comments. Much appreciated for your input and time you put in to answer me. I did lift the 7000 and by god, it's the heaviest detector I ever tried. It's similar in looks to the 2300, but much much heavier. I have decided to go for the 7000, I will be selling the 5000 to do this. I will also get a harness of some sort to carry the 7000. I don't mind digging deep holes because most rubbish is near the surface anyway, so the deep stuff is more likely to be the yella.
I like the idea of not having to scrape away the leaf litter to get a signal.
I did dig a deep hole once, I thought it was virgin soil, went down to about depth of my crutch only to find an ancient horse shoe....damn.

These are getting a good reputation.

1530768950_capture.jpg

Congrats on the decision :Y:

There is a bit of discussion about a few harness type things here and there is a vid link on setting up a Minelab harness properly. I find the Minelab harness a bulky pain in the proverbial.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3475-prepare-for-some-dumb-blond-gpz-questions-guys/

I can't find it but I think Jen did end up using the over the shoulder harness thingy like Redfin showed above and I think it wasn't that great (but that is a vague recollection). Guest Jen on that link is the same Jennifer that has commented on a few SP01 booster threads. Well worth a PM to ask her direct if you are thinking about getting one.

I have a hip stick and find it pretty good but it would certainly be better for flatter ground. Up and down mullock heaps, creek sides, etc the use of any sort of harness/suspension thing is a bit negated.

A bungy cord clipped on to my Camel bak back pack has been working OK recently. And the Camel Bak carries my WM12, B&Z booster, spare batteries and a dunny roll. Could also put some water in there too I suppose :p

;)

A minelab harness properly set up, as per Jason's video above, does take all the weight off, but I found it very uncomfortable and a pita when digging.
The supports kept popping out.

You will not be disappointed with the Z. I train for my prospecting expeditions just like I do for my golf with heavy pack hikes and weight training. I dont want to crap out when it comes time for me to spend 2 weeks with the Z in hand. I use a Camelbak HAWG mil tac pack with all the junk with bungee, the swing arm and can swing it all day long.

Latest posts