Guess what this is.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says.

What do you think it is?

1530490731_yum.jpg

Some good answers. But the winner, or fairly close winner is................

Ta Dahhh.... Drum roll...........

Flowerpot. :party:

It is a pile of 'glass filled ruby' that has just come out of a Thai furnace. Apparently the stone/glass is then snipped into it's individual pieces, tumbled to remove the sharp edges before being sold onto the wholesalers. The rest we know.
In the top right corner is, I believe, some yellow corundum about to or has received the same treatment.

Glass filled aren't sythetics, they are heat treated poor quality stones, the glass fills any cracks or fissures in the natural stones.

Heatho said:
Glass filled aren't sythetics, they are heat treated poor quality stones, the glass fills any cracks or fissures in the natural stones.

Resulting in a stone that looks clean but is weaker since the glass is relatively soft.

Mate got caught out setting a diamond that simply cleaved as he was setting. Sent away to get re-cut, verdict was that the stone was fracture filled.

Heatho said:

May as well be as they have been altered in some way from Original.... Therefore I call them Synthetics as they have been altered.... And a lot in the Gem Industry call them Synthetics as well... :|

LW....

Mr Magoo said:
Some good answers. But the winner, or fairly close winner is................

Ta Dahhh.... Drum roll...........

Flowerpot. :party:

It is a pile of 'glass filled ruby' that has just come out of a Thai furnace. Apparently the stone/glass is then snipped into it's individual pieces, tumbled to remove the sharp edges before being sold onto the wholesalers. The rest we know.
In the top right corner is, I believe, some yellow corundum about to or has received the same treatment.
Yay, winner winner chicken dinner. :party: :party:

LoneWolf said:
Heatho said:

May as well be as they have been altered in some way from Original.... Therefore I call them Synthetics as they have been altered.... And a lot in the Gem Industry call them Synthetics as well... :|

LW....

They started life as a natural gemstone, simply calling them synthetic would be misleading for someone who doesn't know that it is a treatment for poor quality natural stones regardless of their final composition. :Y:

Lefty said:
aussiefarmer said:
Still looks like a fig filled detonated possum to me, but anyway very interesting :Y:

And about as high quality as a fig-detonated possum as well, especially given that ordinary household substances can etch the glass.

Well if you had a ring on with a glass filled treated stone your not going to go sticking your hand in sodium hydroxide or any other type of chemical that will etch a glass. Well I hope not anyway. :D Quartz gems would etch similarly.

I like the muffled gasps in the gemological teachers video when takling about the treatment...... :lol:

Latest posts