Picker or nugget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i found a decent picker today. It weighs 0.14grams.

My question is, at what point does a picker become a nugget? Is there a certain weight that qualifies a piece of gold as a nugget?

I'll post a picture of the biggest piece ive found so far.

1529839149_20180624_180020_resized.jpg

Ok in that case its just a good picker.

In my books, i reckon its a nugget when its over a gram. So im 14% there so far.

Found this earlier in what liked like a good hole behind bedrock using the mini gold rat sluice. Took me 2.5 hrs to get 10ltrs of material to process through the sluice. The classifying is killing me though, takes so long, kills my back. There wasn't much clay like material either so maybe in the wrong spot.

Didnt find that much gold either, maybe 15 specks (3 decent size, most micro dots and the picker). But lesson learnt and still a good day as found a good picker.

That is a conundrum.

When we find gold that size detecting, it's always called a nugget, albeit a tiny one, but a nugget nonetheless.

My definition would be if you can pick it up with two fingers and handle it, it's a nuggie!

RM Outback said:
........ wet gold people.
Hahahahahaha never heard that one before, makes us sound like some feral clan that dwell in caves like golum.

If you can only just pick it out of a pan it's a picker, if it's easily picked up then it's a nuggett, but I don't think there is an actual cutoff for the weight.
Who cares it's GOLD!

Anything under a gram I call a Nuglet :party: and celebrate the liberation of each one as if they were big nuggets :party:

8.( my wife describes a nugget as something that will fill the palm of her hand, so I have been forced to give this new name to all my nuggets so far O:)

Wally69 said:
Anything under a gram I call a Nuglet :party: and celebrate the liberation of each one as if they were big nuggets :party:

8.( my wife describes a nugget as something that will fill the palm of her hand, so I have been forced to give this new name to all my nuggets so far O:)

Nuglet it is. I also nearly fell into the stream when i saw it in the sluice. This prospecting stuff is better than drugs, alcohol and women combined.

I hope i find one that needs a whole hand to carry one day.

Wet gold people made me laugh!

AM1990 said:

In my books, i reckon its a nugget when its over a gram. So im 14% there so far.

Found this earlier in what liked like a good hole behind bedrock using the mini gold rat sluice. Took me 2.5 hrs to get 10ltrs of material to process through the sluice. The classifying is killing me though, takes so long, kills my back. There wasn't much clay like material either so maybe in the wrong spot.

Didnt find that much gold either, maybe 15 specks (3 decent size, most micro dots and the picker). But lesson learnt and still a good day as found a good picker.
I use 30ltr Black buckets from Bunnings, classifier fits perfect in the top, shovel and shake

20xwater said:
AM1990 said:

I use 30ltr Black buckets from Bunnings, classifier fits perfect in the top, shovel and shake

I have a gold rat mini sluice and i need to classify down to 1/8th. So i've been classifying into the normal minelab classifier and then classifying again into the 1/8th sieve. If i only had to classify once i don't think it would be too much of a problem.

Im looking at the croc gold traps at the moment and debating whether to get one. Expensive bit of kit but might save my back. Reckon i could get that through the minister of finance? I brought it for health reasons...

Home made trommel maybe ? I use a large black bunnings bucket like 20xwater but don't have to classify so small as 1/8th

Latest posts