GPX5000 with 15 NF Evo versus GPZ 7000?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, this might be too broader of a question to answer. I have the 5000 with the 15 evo coil & love it.

I am however curious about how much better the 7000 is & whether it would be worth the upgrade?

I did consider getting one when, I first started detecting, but went for the 5000 to see if l would stick to my new found interest.

Like most here, l am now fully hooked, so just wondering how much of a difference there might be if any?

Thanks Johnno.

7000 is way better from what I've seen while detecting with mates who own them, the 7000 always gets the deeper pieces. I'd buy a 7000 if I went gold detecting more than a couple of times a year. I'm sure you'll get other opinions as well but this is what I've seen.

Consider how you are doing with the 5000. Have you found a lot of gold? If not the 7000 isn't about to turn things around. It has an edge over the 5000. You won't be swapping coils as often to thoroughly clean out a patch with the GPZ. I know operators who have also gone the other way though. Selling off their GPZ's in favour of the GPX. Depth is only an advantage is the gold is out of reach of the 5000 in the first place. Where you detect is going to play a big role in how much you benefit from the upgrade.

Thanks Gents,

I do go out every chance I get. I live only 5-10 mins from where I detect and find something most times that I go out.

When I upgraded to the 15" Evo, I went over the areas that I had previously done with the 11" commander mono that came with the detector and found more deeper down.

Got me thinking now about trading up for the 7000 and going over these spots again.

As I wind down from work, I'll only be spending more time in the bush.

I really appreciate your views.

Best regards

Johnno

Try hire or borrow one for a day or two and go over your patches and see if the 7000 would of been of more benefit

My understanding is ..................... pick an area then walk over it with a 12" coil, then a 15" then a 19" etc then an SDC (well nearly) and you have probably covered what the Z would do in one walk over. ;)

Save your money and get the 5000 modded and it will out do a standard GPZ7000. Look into it if you are keen :)

But wait there is more .................. and no not free steak knives. Purchase 5000, then have modded probably come to around $7500 total spent plus coils could be more, with minelab warranty wiped against a second hand Z ...................... I'll take a Z please :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

I have a GPZ 7000 and a prospecting mate has a GPX 5000, he finds MORE GOLD than me, more often, though i only detect in Victoria in the GT which has been pretty well flogged by all kinds of detectors for many years.

I've had a gpz for a bit over 12 months now and it hasn't found a patch my 5000 and 15inch evo wouldn't have found, on solid slugs I think the 5 and 15 is hard to beat. Gpz kills the 5 on specimen and prickly reef gold.

I've used a modded 4500 that's a backwards step in my opinion

As post above some top advice here bullwinkle,my wife constantly finds abit more then me,7 vs 45,think youd benefit with a 7 on ground thats seen attention.....

can only comment on 4500 and 15" evo v GPZ, and the winner is the GPZ7000 40 grams to zip , all prickly specimens, no solid lumps, and just boot tacks for the GPX4500. Same ground. Mate called me over to try and see if the 4500 would get the target, negative. Not a beep. Wasnt deep either, and the ZED owner knows the 4500.....he actually found an 87oz lump with the 4500.

Thanks guys, great discussion.

The comparison, gets a bit subjective when we take into consideration the variation of operator skill and experience not to mention different locations i.e. not comparing apples with apples.

But upon the discussion to date, Im leaning towards upgrading to the Z as I now realise that Im hooked for life l reckon and no doubt it will get a lot of use!

Latest posts