Cloncurry

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading out next week. Cloncurry
After some display case quality items. And tips and or GPS would be great. Thanks for your time god bless and happy hunting.

Hi Clea2782.

I can't give you specifics because I've never fossicked the area myself but I believe there are a number of interesting things to be found in the Cloncurry/Mount Isa area. Amethyst at Kurridala and rhodolite garnets at Fullarton river. Some of the amethyst clusters I've seeen that are supposed to have come from Kurridala would be very display case-worthy.

Cheers

Go to the visitor information centre in town and they will give you the info for Kurridala. The old town/mine is at approx 21 Deg 17' 02.11" S 140 Deg 30' 16.96" E. The amethyst area I think was SE of the town by about 6 km from memory. I can remember that you don't take any of the tracks past the old airstrip. There was some signage when you are at the right area. By my visit the amethyst is at approx 21 Deg 18' 52.73" S 140 Deg 32' 15.49" E.

Fullarton River garnets are on Maranon Station and the camp site is at approx 21Deg 09' 23.75" S 140Deg 50' 30.22" E.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug

Latest posts