VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to need to start drying chillies soon.

1585084161_20200321_172008.jpg

1585084161_20200321_172111.jpg

1585084161_20200321_172034.jpg

1585084162_20200321_172126.jpg

I have very little in the vegie garden at the moment, what with the cold weather just around the corner, but I have this melon type thing growing over the fence from next door, with one of its mates. It is about 350mm long and 150mm wide, but I have no idea what it is. Some have suggested a big Zucchini, but these all seem to start out almost pear shape then grow BIG like this one. Any ideas what it is?

1585474492_melon.jpg

Apart from it, I have a few nice apples on a small tree, some chives, peppers, and a good rhubarb crop (that I must pick and process). I am planning on planting Broad Beans in the next week or so, but haven't thought past that.

The roses are still looking good and the other general garden plants are really looking good, except for those needing an autumn haircut. Must get onto that soon.

Rob P.

Hard luck I tried those Juanne Flamee this year but the rabbits got em before the got much over 6-7 inches.
Had a couple of cherry tomatoes in a wicking bed which produced ok Haven't grown much in winter for a while so this year will be different. have seeds in raising beds and ordered more seed of some things I don't have Peas, silver beet, beetroot, spring onions etc usually put garlic in before we go away and it grows by itself. The ground here is limestone with a little cover on top it is hard to find somewhere deep enough to grow stuff. Hard to believe on a 100 acres. scratch around with an excavator looking for deeper spots but then getting water to some places is difficult. Can get manure from neighbours old shearing shed so thats handy ground is very poor here but time will rectify that also very alkaline.
Just need to get up early in the morning and sit on the deck with the 12g and keep an eye out for my 4 legged mate, he be nice in the pot with home grown veg :)
Be interesting to know what you got on your fence PabloP.

Might be a nice limestone cave underneath you Harbourmaster(check out any spring fed creeks)
Not watermelon leaves ther Pablo P So got me reproduced.... pick yours when your neighbor picks his side (growing well at any rate)

Harbourmaster said:
Hard luck I tried those Juanne Flamee this year but the rabbits got em before the got much over 6-7 inches.
Had a couple of cherry tomatoes in a wicking bed which produced ok Haven't grown much in winter for a while so this year will be different. have seeds in raising beds and ordered more seed of some things I don't have Peas, silver beet, beetroot, spring onions etc usually put garlic in before we go away and it grows by itself. The ground here is limestone with a little cover on top it is hard to find somewhere deep enough to grow stuff. Hard to believe on a 100 acres. scratch around with an excavator looking for deeper spots but then getting water to some places is difficult. Can get manure from neighbours old shearing shed so thats handy ground is very poor here but time will rectify that also very alkaline.
Just need to get up early in the morning and sit on the deck with the 12g and keep an eye out for my 4 legged mate, he be nice in the pot with home grown veg :)
Be interesting to know what you got on your fence PabloP.

I just did a bit more internet searching and the closest that I could find was it is a Winter Melon, Ash Gourd or Wax Gourd. I guess that I will have to wait until it is harvested and see what it is like inside.

If it is the Winter Melon there are many other names from different languages -
White gourd
Winter Melon
Wax gourd (denotes one sub-type of ash gourd)
Kushmanda, brihatphala, ghrinavasa, gramyakarkati, karkaru (Sanskrit)
Petha, pethakaddu (Hindi)
Torobot (Manipuri)
Kohla (Marathi)
Neer poosanikai (Tamil)
Kumbalanga (Malayalam)
Boodida Gummadikaaya (Telugu)
Budekumbalakayi, boodu gumbala (Kannada)
Kumra, chalkumra (Bengali)
Komora (Assamese)

Rob P.

Got a message from Diggers yesterday, they have suspended sales for now until they can fill orders already in, they are under a lot of pressure at the moment. Guess thats why my seeds haven't arrived yet. lucky I got order in when I did I think.
PabloP looks like a multicultural meal when it's ready.
Blocker must be some nice soil in there for that lot to grow in you lucky bloke. My soil is pretty poor, and I have to put up with the wind straight of the water, breaks a lot of plants or burns them. That bee looks like he's got some nice yellow Italian strain in him. I've got 80 hives up the back of our place at the moment so pollination is good for anything that flows including weeds.

Doing a little deep mulching atm under the Black Pudding & Clingstone Peach.
1586058076_screenshot_2020-04-05-09-49-55.jpg

That was late yesterday and getting darker
1586057972_screenshot_2020-04-05-13-36-49.jpg

Today

Some old scrap paperry stuff that I had been burning for garden ash.... yesterday's was mostly wet and harder to burn properly... so this was the answerto my dilema
1586058161_screenshot_2020-04-05-13-35-30.jpg

So I'm now cutting back my big red hibiscus for a green mulch over it all
1586058432_screenshot_2020-04-05-13-35-48.jpg

Then later I'll cover that with a brown mulch (palm leaves).
The days when everything is done already will be the hardest ones to come.
Luckily for me I'm happy enough to just be a lazy bugga sometimes and what can't be done today can wait again for other days :p

Good onya Harbourmaster....first and last garlic I grew was out of the ground for too long and I lost it all. Still livin and learnin up here lol.
Hope all goes well for ya ! :Y:

Here's me Hibiscus getting harvested for green waste
1586092904_screenshot_2020-04-05-13-58-49.jpg

And the corn gone to flower very short... but I will get to save seed from it
1586093008_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-04-33.jpg

Here are my beans... sad fact (all dead or dying) :eek:
1586093110_screenshot_2020-04-05-13-59-56.jpg

look at that
1586093154_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-00-06.jpg

same spot as before.... same thing happening again :eek: bugga
1586093268_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-00-53.jpg

Snow peas.... the short patch Slugs and snails damage
1586093371_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-03-51.jpg

see how they eat from the inner parts of the leaf as well.
Got one snail and two slugs tonight and last night with the torch
1586093546_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-04-00.jpg

lets finish on a high then shall we.
Just look at this little beauty from the compost heap(PawPaw)... growing above a cement floor there.
And going to get planted into my Mums back garden at the retirement village (She won't even get to be near me while I transplant it in for her)... but that's the cost of survival atm for all of us.
1586093780_screenshot_2020-04-05-14-01-43.jpg

sand surfer said:
Hi silver, is that bean fly that got your beans mate they don't look to good
I might just be a bit early with them Sand Surfer... it's still a bit hot maybe... could be bacterial wilt :(
anyway.... more room for lettuce hey :p

Well well well.... thanks to a descripive pm from you sand surfer, I hit the garden running.
Yes the stalks were hollow (sliced some open with my handy hobby scalpel)
Then in one I seen a pupae :eek:
1586141521_screenshot_2020-04-06-12-43-26.jpg

little mongrels..... :argh:
1586141629_screenshot_2020-04-06-12-52-42.jpg

got back to the shade of the house..... no scalpel blade.... no problem.... out with the detector and pointer.... nothing...back and forth and forth and back.... nothing(bugga).
Tried and tried..... set the Ace up on custom with a duplicate blade.... still nothing.
Old technology then.... back and forth mighty slowly though..... got it.... seen it as I found it with sunlight as well as the magnet getting it too. :p
1586141955_screenshot_2020-04-06-12-44-10.jpg

Last thing you want out back is a lost scalpel blade somewhere.... oh just somewhere out there lol.
Any way.... bean fly it is :D

Hi silver,
For snails and slugs, my friend uses a few small plastic cups of beer dug in level with the soil, and the snails and slugs love it - and drown in it!

He says it saves the lettuces that snails and slugs seemingly travel miles to get them! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

I should slip out now n grab a quick beer then Megsy :p :beer: :Y:
I have half a rockmelon skin next to some lettuce atm... and put pepper around a few to see how that went. Dark now so I might slip out for a look :D

Latest posts