VEGE PATCH. What's growing in yours?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
The last time I saw frost was in Stanthorpe about 11 yrs ago on our way home from the big lap of Oz. I remember seeing the towels and sheets frozen solid on the clothes line when we lived in Noble Park in my early teens. BRRrrrrrrrr!!!! :eek:
My hubby will be a very happy camper Jaros when he wakes up to no more frosts as we are planning a move to warmer climes in the near future. It'll be a wonder to be able to grow food all year round and not see the rest of my garden get frost bite. :D

Ramjet said:
Billy said:
I have become addicted to that show Mr Jet, so unless anyone else was first I will put my hand up :cool:

OK Billy. It's yours. I'll get ya address once I have finished watching it. Currently working through the 3rd season.

Some nice looking gardens and produce there guys n girls. :Y:

Awesome Rod and very generous of you!!
I have been watching the latest episodes on IView but really would like to see how it all started.
Legend mate and will wait to hear from you.
Enjoy :Y:
Cheers,
Billy.

Mackka said:
Is that person ploughing with an ox or am I seeing things?
Mackka
Its a water buffalo Mackka, we have two at the moment, a cow and an 8 month old calf ..the one in the pictures is owned by a farmer that is working off his debt by plowing the garden land and also furrowing the corn land so the workers can plant the corn seeds.
1529648863_d1cfd5f7-0e28-425a-8c69-a6661d62ad8d.jpg

Thanks for sharing those photo's Nucopia :Y:

They reminded me that I had a part from a harness/attachment for dragging a plough etc.
Probably horse drawn in this case and I can't remember the name of it.

1529669732_old_plough_attachment_1.jpg

1529669733_old_plough_attachment_2.jpg

1529669733_old_plough_attachment_3.jpg

It looks like it has seen some fairly hard yakka :)

Cheers,
Billy.

Hey Billy I still think yours is a yoke.
Nucopia, thanks for the photos, I feel sorry for the farmer when I see the magnificent tractors etc that we have here.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Hey Billy I still think yours is a yoke.
Nucopia, thanks for the photos, I feel sorry for the farmer when I see the magnificent tractors etc that we have here.
Mackka

The pictures Billy posted Im pretty sure is called a single tree its part of the harnessing system. The Yolk is a curved piece that fits over the shoulders of the buffalo. The single tree is used to attache the two ropes that come from each side of the Yoke and trail back behind the animal , as well as acting as the center point were the plow is attached.
See here.
1529718835_f6b692c9-ea66-40d6-888e-9dc2bbd9baf6.jpg

TBH most of the farmers I know who have water buffalo treat them with a great deal of respect and consider them a valuble asset.
They are an essential part of the planting process in many areas to plough shallow furrows fo r planting.
We use tractors, rotery tillers and other hand operated machinary as well.
But I know many farmers mine included who would be lost with out their Karabao (water buffalo) they really are a unique animal and a valuble asset in terraced rice fields or hilly corn lands.

WARNING WARNING! HUGE SPOILER ALERT RE RIVER COTTAGE AUSTRALIA. Do NOT read this if you do not want your dreams shattered.

There will be no more episodes of River Cottage beyond season 4. The property was put up for sale in late 2017. Paul now lives in the Newcastle area but owns a house in Bermagui and intends to return there by the time his sons need to be enrolled in school.

Sad news for fans of the show. I realize that "reality" shows are staged to a certain point but when I learned that Digger Dog had an owner and trainer really shattered the image for me. I mean faking an ownership of a dog is just SO un Australian. Apparently Paul was just a paid employee of the production company. Bugger. :eek: 8.( :8

Paul has done some work as guest presenter on some ABC programs. Gardening Australia and Back Roads. Plus there is upcoming Docos on Catylist. Its a mini-doco about sciences role in meeting the food demands of a world population of five billion people, looking at the role science plays in food production.

Sad news really. I was inspired by the River Cottage series.

Billy said:
Ramjet said:
Billy said:
I have become addicted to that show Mr Jet, so unless anyone else was first I will put my hand up :cool:

OK Billy. It's yours. I'll get ya address once I have finished watching it. Currently working through the 3rd season.

Some nice looking gardens and produce there guys n girls. :Y:

Awesome Rod and very generous of you!!
I have been watching the latest episodes on IView but really would like to see how it all started.
Legend mate and will wait to hear from you.
Enjoy :Y:
Cheers,
Billy.

Where it started... I enjoyed the original British series with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall but it was awesome to see the Australian version.

Ramjet said:
WARNING WARNING! HUGE SPOILER ALERT RE RIVER COTTAGE AUSTRALIA. Do NOT read this if you do not want your dreams shattered.

Sad news for fans of the show. I realize that "reality" shows are staged to a certain point but when I learned that Digger Dog had an owner and trainer really shattered the image for me. I mean faking an ownership of a dog is just SO un Australian. Apparently Paul was just a paid employee of the production company. Bugger. :eek: 8.( :8

Sad news really. I was inspired by the River Cottage series.

Wowsers, that is disappointing that Digger Dog wasn't even Pauls :( :N:

No photos but ;

Dragonfruit is up to 5 feet tall.

Avocado trees are both at 4 feet tall

Lychee , long-an and mangosteen are slowing with the cold but hopeful they survive .

Chives , mint , basil , shallots are bludging to the point where you might reasonably accuse them of being dead ... :8

My caps are still giving as they do each year. Getting a bit woody now due to the colder weather but still good for cooking.

Ever since I was given seeds of this one it's the only sweet one I'll grow. They are super productive and produce well into the colder weather.

These all came of one plant that was accidentally uprooted while weeding yesterday.
If anyone wants seeds I'm happy to send some if you send me a SSAE.

1529917401_20180624_165405.jpg

My chilies are finally redening.
1530081696_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-20-09.jpg

and so are the Strawberries.... first fruit of the season (gobbled up by daughter) :rainbow:
1530081798_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-21-29.jpg

first snowpeas are getting there
1530081852_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-21-19.jpg

and the flower has opened on the egg plant
1530081939_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-20-52.jpg

comfrey
1530081992_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-20-42.jpg

and there is now a seat where once there was a bottle brush tree (it will shoot out all around it like the swords on the game of thrones throne :D
1530082294_screenshot_2018-06-27-16-20-36.jpg

Latest posts