could anyone please help me identify these stones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf65

Julie
Reaction score
i think they are possibly opals of some kind..My dad found, cut and polished these.
1378792501_2013-09-10_15.42.22.jpg

Nice stones jf65 , I am no expert but look like opal to me, but Shauno should be able to confirm , as he is in Lightning Ridge right in amongst it

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul..lol, i love looking at his stones (and trying to find out what they are) that he has left me, all that he picked out of the ground over the years.

Hi jf65,

Looks to me like a piece of Andamooka Matrix at the top (at a guess) and the other below looks to be a nice polished Yowah Nut.

Really beautiful colour in that Yowah Nut! Very nice piece.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Thanks Shauno and DD. another specimen, again, your help is much appreciated :) Julie
1378808009_2013-09-10_12.20.41-1.jpg

1378808342_2013-09-10_12.09.59-1.jpg

another view of the earlier one...i can take a picture of different angles and they all show a different color, even yellow....definitely not selling them, but out of curiosity, are they of any real value?

thanks kemjak :) a friend of mine described my dad (recently passed away) as a "quiet legend" lol, a very fitting description, the "little" things he left behind are exquisite :) I'm hoping next weekend to head out, and take one of his trusty gold detectors and give it a whirl...lol, first time ever for me :)

yep :) tin can bay, my dad was living in cooloola cove, just down the road from tin can :)

I was born in Gympie and was on dairy farms in the area with my family. I spent a bit of time there as a kid chasing whiting and bream around the jettys. It would have changed heaps since then but I have great memories from there. :)

I went and visited my dad in march ( he passed in july) I actually fed a dolphin, it's a beautiful area, though after living in sydney for most of my life, its, lol, very quiet :)

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure your dad will be with you always. Tin Can only had about 40 homes in it when I was there so it was veerry quiet then. Compared to Sydney it would be like a ghost town, [no offence to any any Tin Can Bayers]. :) Good to see you keen on having a shot at the gold hunting. Cheers, Rick

jf65 said:
Thanks Shauno and DD. another specimen, again, your help is much appreciated :) Julie https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ges/1161/1378808009_2013-09-10_12.20.41-1.jpg

Hi Julie,

Most welcome.

That seems to be another piece of Andamooka Matrix (from South Australia) that is still just as it was dug out, roughly shaped up and hasn't yet been died to darken the white matrix. Though I'm not really familiar with the dying process of Andamooka Matrix, I've heard that they used to achieve the darkening by boiling it in specific volumes of Honey and Sulphuric Acid.

I have three small pieces of Andamooka Matrix here that will show you just how it looks when died darker and polished.
1378858010_andamooka_matrix.jpg

All the best,
Shauno.

they are lovely Shauno :) and thanks for the info...something to look into.. just a few more pics..lol, I'm getting a bit creative now, putting a few stoners into one pic makes it easier to post them...I love the little "tooth".....and Matt, possibly somewhere around sunny corner :)

1378864529_2013-09-11_11.51.18.png

Latest posts