Differences in Tones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I buried some stuff in my back yard :eek:
$2-00,$1-00, 1penny, half penny, 3pence,20c, a ring pull, a very old bottle top (rusted) and a stubbie top.
All down about 100mm and about 400mm apart.

No I haven't lost any, I could locate all of them ok, the only 1 that I could really pick any difference in was the 3pence, very short and crisp and lower in volume than the others. Is this normal or is it my hearing, ( which isn't the best) and is there any way of getting the tones to sound a bit different.
Or will I have to just beep'n'dig :rolleyes:

Sounds like it might be set to a 1 tone type of audio program to me. I think you can set the Deus to many different types such as 1 tone, 2 tone, 3 tone, 5 tone and 99 tones...

Hopefully one of the Deus guys will fill you in better than I can.

What tone setting are you using? I use full tones. You should definitely be able to tell the difference between say a penny and 20 cents. The penny should be a pretty high tone and the 20c a lower tone.

Yeah I was trying full tones and also a couple of others. There were differences, but they were, to me , miniscule.
Should I get hearing aids :/

Try dropping your reactivity setting lower, that should give you a better response on deeper/small/thin coins (set to 2 or 2.5). You can also adjust the audio response to boost the audio, though don't set it too high or you will lose the ability to judge the depth of a target via the audio (ie set too high and everything will sound like they are at the same depth).

Another good exercise to do with those in-ground targets is to practice using the Deus's pinpoint mode. This is useful in telling you how large the target is and also how deep it is. Got a faint pinpoint on the target? Then good chance it is a small or deep coin, or possibly a larger coin sitting on edge.

Another thing I would not do when testing is to bury everything at the same depth, realistically the predecimals will in most situations be deeper than your $1 & 2 coins, and there lies one of the differences on how to tell the difference between all those coin targets - the strength of the tone. Those coins may sound similar all being buried at 10cm, though leave your goldies at 10cms and re-bury the predecimals an extra 10cms deeper, and you will see what I mean. Now the goldies should scream in comparison to the deeper predecimals - that's how I pick predecs at night.

As for difference in tone between all those targets, I'd be using both the ID numbers and tones first up before getting too carried away with running in audio only mode. That's where you will see slight differences in ID between junk and coin targets, and the audio will give you the final clues to what the target really is. Don't get too frustrated, this will take time to learn.

I don't get too fussed on trying to tell the difference between on one coin or another, either way it is coming out of the ground. Just try to differentiate between a few of the junk targets first up, should make things a bit simpler. Then when you so start to find some decimal coins, you tend to remember roughly what their ID is, I don't bother for high conductor predecimals -- they all get dug. ;)

Repetition Mate, Just keep doing that exercise over and over and eventually you learn Deus speak.

Find a pulltab that rings at about 65 its a newer style one, then get a 10 cent piece 64 in 18khz. These are 1 tone apart and you'll pick it once you hear it enough times. In the field you'll be able to walk past pulltabs and grab the 10 centers. $2coin and a bottle cap is another one that is close but if you listen the audio is different and the TID Numbers will back that up.

Like goldpick said Audio response can kill depth analysis if its too high, any higher than 4 and your starting to lose the ability to HEAR depth.
Sometimes if I get a peep I'll just bump that audio response up to confirm what I am hearing for that target.

At about 80-85 and above Its a no brainer I just dig it unless unless it sizes big and again goldpick has nailed it. Pin Point mode is the best sizing tool you have.

Have fun Mate Practice makes perfect

Clegy

Back from playing :eek:

Hot program....full tones

Disc 2
sens 90
freq 7.8 ( down from standard)
Iron volume 1
reactivity 2.5
Audio 3

Found tones to be much clearer and using the remote sound it was much quieter but with the earphones (deteknix) there seemed to be a lot of a sort of background chatter, like very weak signals that just came and went continually but couldn't be repeated, if that makes sense

If you are in a built up area it might be EMI interference, tends to happen sometimes when running the lower frequencies. I very rarely run 7.8kHz, mainly 18kHz or 11kHz on the low frequency coils, or 14kHz on the high frequency coil - much more resistant to EMI sources. if you change up to 18kHz and the chatter reduces or disappears completely, then you will know whether it is EMI. In theory 7.8kHz should give optimum response on high conductor coins like coppers/silver, though as my ground is not very mineralised, I can already achieve excellent depth on the two higher frequencies.

Alternatively it could also be just feedback from small pieces of iron in your yard, getting the discrimination up to around 10 knocks out all but the very large iron pieces (which often give off high tone falsing). I know my backyard is absolutely infested with iron nails, many of the responses might not be repeatable and only one way signals when scanning the ground.

In general I run with no discrimination for best target response and optimum depth, though some areas are just too hard to hear any good tones coming through thick iron, so some discrimination may help in that respect - or to just give the ears a rest.

Latest posts