Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a fair question :Y:

Steve Hersbach has shown a few at Detector Prospector.

Jonathon Porter in Queensland has got a few in testing.

John Wilson in NZ has been getting a few since the Eq was released.

There was also a vid of an American bloke getting a few small bits.

But that's about all I've seen.

Hopefully later this week I can fill the pages with Equinox gold :lol: ;)

There are already reviews and photos of gold found with the 800.
Here are a couple.

1522628371_25798119557_21a18711f2_b.jpg

1522628371_39958995094_d72c225193_b.jpg

Well I will try again. 3 posts have vanished... Must be my phone.

When I saw the pics above I thought... Yep but not here in Au unless in mild ground or on the surface.

The club went out and while 20g plus of niblets found over the 3 days... the NOX was never going to find any unless on the surface.

the found stuff was with 7000 and 2300 and while I gave a 2100 a good go.... on testing the NOX was never truly in the race and the small 0.53 and 0.34g stuff was only at 3 or 4 inches.

Unless you are in the 1g plus size and shallow or surface, the NOX is not in the race...

However it does well in telling you what is NOT gold.. Good high TID's meant silver coins and tokens and 22 casings and lumps of lead and most at about 2 to 3 inches deep...

The NOX worked well on some small test pieces on the ground and if you knew where it was. But after that it never in the race...

7000 2300 2100 ForsGold Plus NOX 705

Found the problem...

If I do not preview, the post goes to the black hole LOL...

I was able to tweek and had to GB the sd2100 every 5 to 10 min and also re tune..

The NOX and ForsCore we never as stable but the NOX was better to me... But it comes back to just how well you know the ground and the machine.. Both of these have any number of tweaks and iron balance and swing speed etc etc etc...

I persisted with the NOX for a number of reasons but the hot rocks were a PITA and was so much better when going to the 2100.

The bigger hot rocks were obvious and teh NOX would give them a TID between 9 and 11. But if they were smaller and under the ground, it was often hard digging and frustrating. Marked a few and did with the sd2100 and only a slight shift..

Can you use it on a Gold field in Qld = YES

Will it detect gold = YES

Can you use it to find gold = Yes (saves you from kicking it)

Nothing much more I can say...

Hot rocks TIDing between 9 and 11? That's really interesting. I was under the impression that hot rocks were coming in for most people around the -8 or -9. Any idea what the hot rocks consist of?

The tiny gold nuggets - were they coming in around 1 or 2 on the scale?

Anything gram plus - coming in anywhere from 3 upwards?

Iron... bust the rocks about fist size and rusty looking inside.

And yes as to what the gold was giving....

Thus you need to watch any changes to the disc settings....

So does this mean I am better off saving a couple of $ and buying the 600 over the 800?

Really a decision for yourself Tim. The few extra options, wireless headphones, etc that come with the 800 were my tipping point.

BUT, Steve Herschbach has said many times that you can find gold with the 600 using multi in the various other modes and that you aren't giving much away by not getting an 800.

It probably comes down to buy what you can afford :Y:

And thanks Anger Management - much appreciated ;)

Northeast said:
Really a decision for yourself Tim. The few extra options, wireless headphones, etc that come with the 800 were my tipping point.

BUT, Steve Herschbach has said many times that you can find gold with the 600 using multi in the various other modes and that you aren't giving much away by not getting an 800.

It probably comes down to buy what you can afford :Y:

Here in Australia, if you are serious about gold... Go hard or get frustrated...

Not saying you will not find it with the NOX but if you are after GOLD and on a budget then look at the SDC2300 or a good second hand SD model.

All depends on where you are and the ground conditions and how hard you wish to work for the gold...

At the end of the 3 days... SD2100 over the NOX for managing the ground conditions.. But the NOX gave me good vibes when I got high Numbers as in 20 or higher. Am sure you could tweak and play and if on site for some time, get a better feel the ground and the NOX. But if i was that focused on Gold I would go for a better machine.

As a waterproof unit for the beach, the NOX is light and easy to run and a bigger coil than the SDC2300 ( just saying).

Well I had to get one with an issue.Noxys heading back to minelab as the battery is going flat after 4.5 hrs. Yes I'm using the right charger..Hope it don't take to long 8.( 8.( 8.(

Heatho said:
That's a real bummer Smoky, hope they get it back to you nice and fast.
Cory from miners den said he would put a note on it to get it back fast.He also said they would be very interested to see why its draining so fast..So fingers x :Y:

Had to take the handle off for postage..That's what MD told me to do...For those that are interested this is what the battery compartment looks like..We only get 1 year warranty on the battery so it looks really easy to replace if need be when the warranty does run out.
1524458813_img_20180423_9705.jpg