Sherpa winches ??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has one or knows of any good or bad feed back on them ?

I am putting a winch on instead of running full mud tyres , probably never use it.

Was looking at runva winches which have beat the big brands in tests done by 4x4 magazines and have come across these sherpas , they are half the price of a warn , have five years warranty , highly rated soliniods (twice the rated amps) actually have been run under water for 1.5 hours before failure and the bit that has my interest is they are 10 to 15 kg lighter than other 9500lb winches.

Any feed back would be appreciated and yes i am well aware that you get what you pay for, but i cant fathom spending 1500 on a warn that i may never use and i have enough sense to avoid the 300 buck ones.

:Y: I'll be checking these out keen to hear reports like you AF. I noticed in the specs their designed to European standards something I'll be looking into.

Well actually if you swap over to Rope you save a few extra kg's.. and if you do happen to break it, you can simply tie it back together... You can't do that with cable... IMO Warn is not worth 1 cent... Too many issues with them for the price... Runva winches have a good rap... My mate has a supercheap brand for 4 yrs now and has used it every time he is in the bush... No issues whatsoever...And he gets himself into some bother(stuck in river twice) and it has never failed yet...price $ 450 on special.... I have run an Aldi winch(4yrs old rebadged Ironman) and that has never let me down. I pulled it apart and changed the grease.. They all use cheap/crap grease and I run it out every month to keep things moving. But it's sitting in the shed till I get some welding dome on my bulbar ATM :rolleyes: . I much prefer the cheaper ones... Premier Winches are very good to, made in USA....

LW....

In no time mate, you will be eyeing off that big rock, wondering what lays beneath it... out comes the winch!
A good 20m extention strap $50/60 is worth it too.
And a 2000kg loop fabric sling, $20. Make a choker around the rock...
presto.

LoneWolf said:
Well actually if you swap over to Rope you save a few extra kg's.. and if you do happen to break it, you can simply tie it back together... You can't do that with cable... IMO Warn is not worth 1 cent... Too many issues with them for the price... Runva winches have a good rap... My mate has a supercheap brand for 4 yrs now and has used it every time he is in the bush... No issues whatsoever...And he gets himself into some bother(stuck in river twice) and it has never failed yet...price $ 450 on special.... I have run an Aldi winch(4yrs old rebadged Ironman) and that has never let me down. I pulled it apart and changed the grease.. They all use cheap/crap grease and I run it out every month to keep things moving. But it's sitting in the shed till I get some welding dome on my bulbar ATM :rolleyes: . I much prefer the cheaper ones... Premier Winches are very good to, made in USA....

LW....

I agree, I bought 2 Warns and returned them both, I bought the Short Drum model the British Military use made by Champion/Warrior, Built like a tank, I might fit that one on the rear and fit a High Speed one on the front.

John.

aussiefarmer said:
Just wondering if anyone has one or knows of any good or bad feed back on them ?

I am putting a winch on instead of running full mud tyres , probably never use it.

Was looking at runva winches which have beat the big brands in tests done by 4x4 magazines and have come across these sherpas , they are half the price of a warn , have five years warranty , highly rated soliniods (twice the rated amps) actually have been run under water for 1.5 hours before failure and the bit that has my interest is they are 10 to 15 kg lighter than other 9500lb winches.

Any feed back would be appreciated and yes i am well aware that you get what you pay for, but i cant fathom spending 1500 on a warn that i may never use and i have enough sense to avoid the 300 buck ones.

AF have been using these from ebay supplier for over 8 years, have purchased and fitted over 10 of them and fitted at least five of the 9500 and 12500 to different vehicles with never a prob :Y: Have a 4000 lb unit on car carrier and also camper trailer. Have run them underwater in both fresh and salt again with no issue, apart from once, when I blew the side of drum out from winding all rope onto one side and cracked out side of drum. (User fault more than winch fault) Seller replaced complete winch :Y: Mine gets used weekly and has never let me down as yet. I know they are only a cheap unit, but considering I can replace it about 7 times before I hit the price of the Warn on one of my other vehicles ............... reckon I'll always end up in front ;) Have never had a problem with my warn .............. but it is the older type and no matter what, the price hurts regardless of it being good or bad. Once you have used Dyneema you wouldn't go back to cable, but in saying that if most use is going to be in heavy rock areas would run cable.
Just some feedback and hope it helps you choose :Y: :Y:
ps Can pay to make sure that whatever you choose, is that the control lever can be orientated to different positions as it can make mounting / operating much easier when it can be repositioned to suit application. Some winches do not have this feature.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Ele...306011&hash=item3cc420b38a:g:ILAAAOSwkLhaDCHm

1527023498_fraser_truck_winch.jpg

Bogger said:
aussiefarmer said:

AF have been using these from ebay supplier for over 8 years, have purchased and fitted over 10 of them and fitted at least five of the 9500 and 12500 to different vehicles with never a prob :Y: Have a 4000 lb unit on car carrier and also camper trailer. Have run them underwater in both fresh and salt again with no issue, apart from once, when I blew the side of drum out from winding all rope onto one side and cracked out side of drum. (User fault more than winch fault) Seller replaced complete winch :Y: Mine gets used weekly and has never let me down as yet. I know they are only a cheap unit, but considering I can replace it about 7 times before I hit the price of the Warn on one of my other vehicles ............... reckon I'll always end up in front ;) Have never had a problem with my warn .............. but it is the older type and no matter what, the price hurts regardless of it being good or bad. Once you have used Dyneema you wouldn't go back to cable, but in saying that if most use is going to be in heavy rock areas would run cable.
ps Can pay to make sure that whatever you choose, is that the control lever can be orientated to different positions as it can make mounting / operating much easier when it can be repositioned to suit application. Some winches do not have this feature.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Ele...306011&hash=item3cc420b38a:g:ILAAAOSwkLhaDCHm

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1527023498_fraser_truck_winch.jpg

Struth Bogger that ain't big enough is it ? mines only a 9500lb,

I got the mounting plate I just need the winch bar, finding the parts over here is hard work,

RR just use the winch mount plate and bolt or weld straight to chassis , that way you can use any bar .............. even standard bumper as no load on bar :Y: Also have found using plate allows you to get the winch back closer to the front axle so it's weight also has less effect on front suspension. Plate and winch cost less than just a winch bar on it's own. Win win :Y:

$50 shipped a bargain, even pre drilled for winch mounting. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-N...725954?hash=item4b2f192bc2:g:bVUAAOxyQj9RKhBj

1527026230_fraser_paj_winch_complete_1.jpg

Bogger said:
RR just use the winch mount plate and bolt or weld straight to chassis , that way you can use any bar .............. even standard bumper as no load on bar :Y: Also have found using plate allows you to get the winch back closer to the front axle so it's weight also has less effect on front suspension. Plate and winch cost less than just a winch bar on it's own. Win win :Y:

$50 shipped a bargain, even pre drilled for winch mounting. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-N...725954?hash=item4b2f192bc2:g:bVUAAOxyQj9RKhBj

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...68/1527026230_fraser_paj_winch_complete_1.jpg
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, The plate only cost me about 50 bucks, It's nearly as heavy as the winch, I asked a 4x4 place to order me a TJM or ARB Bumper without the bull bar bit but he seems to have vanished off the map, I have been waiting nearly 2 years for the hardware to mount this thing :mad:

Mine is the Mitsubishi Shogun Sport/Challenger.

Manpa said:
Appropriate name, Bogger, for a man with so many winches. :D

Manpa funny you should say that .......................... nickname was taken from a mate we named that on a Cape York trip ................. no matter where he went he managed to get bogged :Y:

When you have an IFS front end you really need to watch the weight over the front end... Bogger's idea is the best I have seen yet... I showed an engineer mate his idea and he fully agrees...

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
When you have an IFS front end you really need to watch the weight over the front end... Bogger's idea is the best I have seen yet... I showed an engineer mate his idea and he fully agrees...

LW.....

Yeah I thought about converting the front end with a jeep or Hi-Lux setup, the front end is already quite firm on this model and I am going to raise it up with some OME suspension kit so that should beef it up and raise it up by about 40-50mm plus the tyres should add another inch or so, it should be close to 3" taller when its done. It handles well now much better than my 93/94 Pajero exceed did although the room inside is a bit smaller I prefer this model,

Bogger said:
aussiefarmer said:

Was looking at runva winches which have beat the big brands in tests done by 4x4 magazines and have come across these sherpas , they are half the price of a warn , have five years warranty , highly rated soliniods (twice the rated amps) actually have been run under water for 1.5 hours before failure and the bit that has my interest is they are 10 to 15 kg lighter than other 9500lb winches. b

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1527023498_fraser_truck_winch.jpg

Yep they look good same weight too , even though they are rated at 12000 lb , less warranty but could buy two for the cost of a sherpa or 4 instead of a warn.

Well bogger i have gone from wanting a runva to a sherpa and now the imax , ebay had a 10% discount by typing MAGIC10 in so i saved another 33 bucks.
So i bought it :eek: ;) being 27 kilos (some 9500lb winches are 40kg )and having cordless remotes sold me on it , i appreciate your input and no doubt i will windge if its not as good as you say :lol:

The warranty , amp draw and final layer of rope pound rating wasnt as good as some but your testimonial was good value.
Notsure if it came with an isolator switch but i have been advised to fit one. Thanks again :Y:

AF pretty sure you will be as happy as the proverbial pig :Y: Has to be good value for money, especially with Dyneema rope included. Have used them for years with no issue, even the 9500 with all four wheels down and sitting on the chassis rails on the sand on Fraser, still pulled it clear. The rising tide was lapping the rear wheels by the time I got it all hooked up. Would have lost the car with no winch.

Was still working when I swapped it to another vehicle even with the control solenoids looking as below. :eek:

1527061239_winch_control_box.jpg

And it certainly cops a drowning :eek:

1527061443_double_island_point.jpg

1527061954_eli_creek_2_edit.jpg

mudgee hunter said:
Any deeper mate and you have a fishing rod out next to your arial with a lure out!

Hijacking AF's thread a bit but she doesn't do a bad job for a petrol jobbie. ;) Back on thread, being salt water the winch has every right not to work :rolleyes: But then the winch cost me half as much as the car, so it owes me :D :D :D
You have to love Fraser, and plenty of the tourists lose jewellery on the beaches around the fresh water lakes ................ just a shame being a national park heritage listed you can't swing a detector ;)

1527063165_eli_creek.jpg