Can anyone confirm this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieAu

I’m a bloke
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I had a fun day up at Mt. Crawford fossicking area today and got a great signal and dug this up from about 18.
I think it may be a lead musket ball. It is 17mm. across and weighs exactly 1 oz.
Can anyone confirm my thoughts.
1526807553_64714207-1d9e-41e6-b986-50b3998240a3.jpg

1526807554_0d351d7c-902a-4805-9760-7b03914ea5ac.jpg
1526807650_c31256ed-8438-4fb2-b991-78dbd55ef1af.jpg

Not saying it is or not, but they do make a12 gauge shoot called a soild its just got one lead shoot in it ???

Probably is a musket ball being at 18" depth and at that size. We have no shortage of old musket balls down in the South East of SA when detecting Victorian (or older) sites.

When it comes to old musket shot, always remember these old guns where passed down through generations. Well maintained and respected for they provided food and protection.
it was not uncommon to once own and only have one gun that passed down from there grandfather.
So finding a caliber shot that was of the early 1800s could easily of still been used 1900s.
Thus throwing out the age of the area factor.
We exchange guns guns like cars these days.
Once upon a time they where a family item

Thanks MH, the age of these diggings and the fact that the musket ball may predate them had me wondering, but your reasoning makes sense, cheers.

Yeah it is, see if you can find any of the seam around the edge, I have about half a dozen of them, they are from the mid to late 1800s, the earlier ones were a lot smaller,

You can get a rough Idea how old they are by the thickness of the White Cyanide coating they get on them, I have a couple from around the 1400s and some from the late 16/1700s, If it has that White coating on it don't handle it too much without washing your hands because it is highly poisonous,

hope that helps,

John.

I found one identical about 2 years ago, down about 10 inches.

I know nothing of ordinance and firearms so I always considered it to be a musket ball but it maybe a buckshot also.

Anyway of confirming the identity either way?

The British Brown Bess was .75-cal round ball, 17.5mm, so I would put my money on it.

Shotgun buckshot goes to triple-aught #000 Lead Buckshot .36" (9.1mm) then up to 15.2mm tri balls, so right away you are larger than any standard shot size.

Solids/Slugs are relatively modern in terms of shotgun cartridges and tend to look similar to a Mini ball, with spiral fluting/ribbing to make them spin, even wad slugs are more traditionally bullet shaped than ball-shaped. Brenneke slugs were designed in 1898 in Germany and developed to American Foster slugs in 1931......fairly recent history for the shotgun, up until then it was all birdshot and buckshot. In the 1600's the Blunderbuss was designed in Germany then it transformed into a "Fowling gun" or "fowling piece" in the 1700's used in Britain to hunt game birds. Caliber sizes back then would not have been standard, more along the lines of if it fits down the barrel, pack it and let's see. It was not until 1776 in Kentucky the term "Shotgun" was first coined, to differentiate between a smoothbore shotgun and a rifled musket.

1526947528_eng_pl_brown-bess-carbine-1219_1.jpg

AussieChris said:
The British Brown Bess was .75-cal round ball, 17.5mm, so I would put my money on it.

Shotgun buckshot goes to triple-aught #000 Lead Buckshot .36" (9.1mm) then up to 15.2mm tri balls, so right away you are larger than any standard shot size.

Solids/Slugs are relatively modern in terms of shotgun cartridges and tend to look similar to a Mini ball, with spiral fluting/ribbing to make them spin, even wad slugs are more traditionally bullet shaped than ball-shaped. Brenneke slugs were designed in 1898 in Germany and developed to American Foster slugs in 1931......fairly recent history for the shotgun, up until then it was all birdshot and buckshot. In the 1600's the Blunderbuss was designed in Germany then it transformed into a "Fowling gun" or "fowling piece" in the 1700's used in Britain to hunt game birds. Caliber sizes back then would not have been standard, more along the lines of if it fits down the barrel, pack it and let's see. It was not until 1776 in Kentucky the term "Shotgun" was first coined, to differentiate between a smoothbore shotgun and a rifled musket.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...26947528_eng_pl_brown-bess-carbine-1219_1.jpg
I agree, Buckshot don't have seems on, Musket Shot were hand poured in a Two piece Mould. Due to how inaccurate the old Musket Bores were Each Musket came with it's own Shot Mould that would only work with that Musket.

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Yeah it is, see if you can find any of the seam around the edge, I have about half a dozen of them, they are from the mid to late 1800s, the earlier ones were a lot smaller,

You can get a rough Idea how old they are by the thickness of the White Cyanide coating they get on them, I have a couple from around the 1400s and some from the late 16/1700s, If it has that White coating on it don't handle it too much without washing your hands because it is highly poisonous,

hope that helps,

John.
Ok!!!!! Im Quiting sucking on them! :(

Latest posts