Cats

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
Before the Sh#t fight starts, I have one Question for Cat owners...

How many of you 'Responsible' Owners let your Cat out at Night? If you Do, then YOU are part of the problem... :mad:

And Chiron those figures are way out... You can Triple those numbers and they would still be nowhere near the correct amount....

LW...

Lonewolf, I have two cats, neither go outside ever, both are desexed and microchipped. Have been inside cats from the day we got them, I am not a cat person but got left them by my darling daughters who "had" to have them then proceeded to move out soon after and could not take them with them.

Im a Dog Lover, and have had Cats when I was younger.... Always knew where my dogs were and the Cats we had were indoors at Night... That is the main issue Letting your 'pets' out at night... I have a bird-bath in my front yard and several Cats will stalk the birds that come for a drink... I have trapped 2 cats and handed them to the RSPCA.... And yes BOTH were Neighbours Cats caught at night..... They also make great Crab bait in the pots too... ;)

Fireandice, You are a Responsible Pet Owner and I have No issue with that... :Y: :Y:
And yes Cats are a good where there is a mouse problem as some farmers often have around Grain harvest time...

LW...

I like my dogs to roam my acreage at night to warn me of trespassing Thieves.....I dont like that they kill possums or other animals but it is what it is .

Hey Smokey bandit, Are You sure your Dogs only Roam YOUR acreage at Night? My mate has shot Dogs that have Collars on them.... If they roam with a pack, they are in His sights... :)

LW....

Smoky bandit said:
I have a cat and it kills the odd grasshopper or gecko...But my Kellpie kills a possum every week..Does that make dogs as bad as cats.
Nah... that just means it's a good dog... smart n such :Y: :p

Yer mate fully fenced 55acres with1inch square mesh ..the only thing that gets in or out are roos.And if they did go to his house then shoot em..Because I would ..: ;)

Goldfreak said:
shakergt said:
They should put a bounty on them like they have for fox's and dogs in some states. I would be more than happy to help out. I do now but it would be nice to get some cash for my other expensive hobby.
Used to have a bounty on them in the gulf country. Never seen it anywhere else though.

Victoria has a bounty on fox's and wild dogs at the moment. It would be nice to see it Australia wide

Most Department of Primary Industries or what-ever they are called in your State will issue Licences... Most places, You have to prove you have a 'problem' ... They won't 'advertise' they might pay a Bounty, as every Tom, Dick and Harry would be out there Shooting away...

If they were serious, there would be a bounty and you would be able to afford to shoot them...

LW...

Hmmm, the estimated cat killing only 2 native animals is way under the amount I read recently. And it was way higher than ten million...
Strangely enough, im sure I saw on land line a while ago, that on the dingo side of the fence, there are less cats, but more native fauna. And on the other side, more cats, yet less native fauna!
So the dingo is eating the cats! Kool!
Foxes are closer to being a cat than a dog in the theory! Another pest. ?. But not as bad as the cat!
Cats hunt at night when you are asleep, so a lot is not seen. Thus the night living fauna get wiped out first.
of all hunting predators... cats have lions and tigers below their rank. Number one killing machine!
We probably wouldn't even need bird cages with budgies, finches, wrens and quails and other native birds locked up if we had no cats here!
Another blind eye we turn for a purr!
Rather hear a gurr!

Pretty sure their daily kill rate is as high as eight. We have one cat left that I have to tolerate and this critter will whine for food ten or more times a day. So with a domestic cat being able to communicate it's hungry I'd say the estimate of 8 in the feral world is close to the mark. As for estimated numbers the bureaucrats wouldn't have a clue but will put a figure out there to make it sound like they do.

madtuna said:
I regularly gently dissect a cat with the 44mag and the number of little skinks and marsupial mice etc that come out far numbers more than two

OH NO WAY! Did you honestly kill an innocent cat that has no eco sustainable logic in living here?
KOOOOOOOOL!

That's so true MH & MT... Lol Dissection by 44mag.. love it... . ]:D
I was going to put up a pic but may have been a bit Gory for some... at least 10 critters in their stomach if not more....

LW...

Born in Darwin, and the old man worked for the CSIORO and dept of AG, with pests. Tiger and prickly pear, rabbits, dingos, foxes, pigs, and cats!
Back in the late 60's early 70's.
When one did not have to be so PC. And yes the cats where recognized back then as a major threat in time!
Ignored... with hippy love schemes...
ignored with the truth of what is!

mudgee hunter said:
Hmmm, the estimated cat killing only 2 native animals is way under the amount I read recently. And it was way higher than ten million...

I only quoted the figures they mentioned on Landline today.
If their mentioned figures were accurate, it is nothing short of a disaster in the making.
If the figures were under quoted ....... say good bye to the rest of our native fauna ...... it's only a matter of time.
AND because millions of Aussies love Pussy Cats, I guess no government will make an all out effort to eradicate them, it would be political suicide.

In the US, the cat-loving crowd took a hit in January when a report was released, based on the work of scientists at the Smithsonian and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. The report said that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.4 billion to 3.7 billion birds and 6.9 billion to 20.7 billion mammals in the US every year.

Many non cat lovers believe laws need to be passed making it mandatory for all domestic cats to be neutered. Great idea.
But this does nothing to the millions of feral cats roaming the country and our government is not actively doing anything positive about the problem.

back in the days when i was shooting roo and fox for skins for part of my living i was also getting a few dollars for cat skins they were only worth between 2 and 4 dollars a skin but they are very easy and quick to skin and every dollar came in handy so we shot and skinned them . but the funny story here where i live is when any old lady in town had her pussy go missing they would go round to the local skin buyer to see if he had her cats skin .of course when they demanded to look at his skins he never showed them his freshest ones just in case.but most of the skins were from out of the town area anyway.
j0hn0