Legal or not

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone this is all new to me
i was looking for a place to pan some gold found a web site eldorado.org.au/activities/gold-panning/ & thought i would have a go but then reading the exempt list of rivers & creeks reedy creek looks to me to be off limits & then reading through other posts on this site people also pan buckland river lerderderg & the yarra but they are all exempt as well am i missing something or dont people care as is it not policed at all because reading the exempt list doesnt leave many places to go & the eldorado web site encourages fossikers but but the creek is off limits so where do i start my new hobbie??

Ive wondered about that one aswell. Its on the exempt list and is such a popular place to dig. Encouraged even

I think the Reedy Creek at Eldorado - Beechworth is the one exception to the list?
Due to the tourism benefits to the local economy its promoted by the local council.

It is a very popular tourist prospecting creek that has gold to be found easily.

Don,t know about the others you mentioned but they are the exempted list so are no go zones.

reedy creek is on the list so legally you are not allowed to pan there but every one does how is it policed & who has the authourity to enforce it
Swinging & digging said:
I think the Reedy Creek at Eldorado - Beechworth is the one exception to the list?
Due to the tourism benefits to the local economy its promoted by the local council.

It is a very popular tourist prospecting creek that has gold to be found easily.

Don,t know about the others you mentioned but they are the exempted list so are no go zones.

Land management make the decisions which override the exempt list, therefore Reedy creek (Eldorado ) is allowed from a certain distance downstream of Woolshed falls (350 m from memory?) by the management of Mt pilot National Park

Just follow the other rules set out on your miners right and you are good to go

As for buckland I had wondered myself....There were rock walls and prospecting going on last time I went through....The guys in waders in there were very helpful right up until the point I asked if it was on the exempt list...which wasn't meant to be an accusation, merely a question.

Up at Reedy there is no problem what so ever. Just make sure you do not dredge, do not create an ungodly mess with your digging and clean up after yourself taking all rubbish way. Do not dig into the banks. This last one will have the rangers on you before you can say anything. Also at Reedy no guns, bows or dogs and watch the fire restrictions. As for other streams people up here are fairly relaxed if you apply the same rules as for Reedy.

Araluen

Latest posts