Gold or just another a fool..?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCC

Reaction score
Found some quartz diorite looking rock in a creek that contained alot of iron pyrite and what looked to be gold, crushed a couple pounds up classified and panned the smaller stuff with a stainless dog bowl...(never panned in my life :lol: ), what i though was stubborn sand that wouldnt get out might actually be gold, no matter how hard i tried it always stayed behind the sand, its very very tiny and sits below the black sand so itook a zoomed in pic of it and looks like gold also when you pour it out it stays behind the black sand as it leaves the bowl...gold or not gold?
If gold how does a newby seperate it, or is it not worth it at this qty?

Rock from creek -
1525312457_20180502_113220.jpg

Gold in pan?
1525312502_20180503_104106.jpg

Whats remains when black sand poured out -
1525313028_20180503_111658_1525312913363.jpg

Sorry if its a stupid qusetion but ive never panned or really seen gold in such fine form before..

Thanks

Looks like gold to me but I'm not as experienced as some of the other fellas on here. Still nice find :)

Well SCC, I'm no expert, but looking at the tailings in your pan, I would be getting excited. If as you say, it stays behind the black sand, then I'm guessing you are onto it. Some of the other members may have better ideas, but it looks damn good to me. Cheers

Looks like gold to me, my method of retrieving it from the pan is reduce the water to about of a cup
then I add small amount of alybrite to brighten it up, then add 3-4 grams of mercury rolling it around the pan, which amalgamates with the gold, then simply roll it out into a storage bottle ready for the next pan
then retort the mercury amalgam whenever you want.

Thanks all, ill have wander upstream and see if i can locate where its coming from.

Could i expect larger specs at the source or would this be the general size given the type of ore it's come out of?

SCC keep crushing those rocks :Y: all colour is good colour, your onto something so do more research :Y: well done.

Ooowwwee Yeah You need to find where that rock is coming from. Do you have a picture of the pan with the gold in it without closeup. If that much came out of a couple of pounds of rock it is very rich.

Idtouwant me to come have a look , Ill identify it for you ! Now where was the location again ?

Ha ha

Gunter

SCC said:
Thanks all, ill have wander upstream and see if i can locate where its coming from.

Could i expect larger specs at the source or would this be the general size given the type of ore it's come out of?

As was already stated, look for the source of the rock, likely in a reef of some kind. It is quite likely that almost all the gold will be similar to what is in the sample, so don't just go looking for large nuggets, as what you have found appears to be what many gold companies process on their leases. There may be some nuggets in the area, but look for the source, not the possible nuggets, as that appears to be a good find.

Rob P.

Latest posts