1952 Threepence error coin?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys now ive found a few Three pence, sixpence etc but i found a 1952 three pence yesterdat with an unusual bulge running through it. Anyone know if it could be an error and if it is would it be worth much?

Here is a normal 1952 three pence ive found before
1525052248_untlteled_2.jpg

Here is the error?
1525052263_untitled.jpg

Hi tailormarc, that's a good find no matter what.

But from my days of coin collecting, that coin appears to have a die fault in it. I've never seen it before. What does it look like on the obverse? Does the same error occur on the obverse of the coin? If it does, then maybe it has been hit at some time and the force of the hit has put a dint in it.

Probably your best bet would be to take it to a coin dealer and get their opinion. Cheers

I'd say it was a planchet fault.... in place before the coin was minted.
lovely condition to have it in ! 8) :p
:Y: :cool: :Y:
:party: :party: :party:

Thanks, spewin I cleaned it up. I clean most my silvers because I dont plan selling but if this was worth something I might sell. This is how I dug it yesterday
1525086134_f766a9a5-3f3e-4241-a744-e9f0b52c447d.jpg

Yeah I woulda just cleaned it too..... :Y: impossible to spot even knowing hey. :eek:
1525086457_screenshot_2018-04-30-21-07-05.jpg

1525086627_screenshot_2018-04-30-21-10-04.jpg

Things are only ever worth what someone is willing to pay.... the problem is getting the right person who'll pay, to see it.
Every other person that could put themselves in between just wants to make their cut out of your deal (way of the world).
I'd say look for similar coin types that have sold at auction to judge for pricing based on types of error and fineness of coin. ;)

grubstake said:
tailormarc said:
CHeers, just got home and checked it. No dent on other side so it looks like a weird die fault . Here is the pic of otherside

Looks like there's a slight mis-strike on the obverse - see highlighted rim area:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1525124427_mis-strike.jpg

Apparently, mis-strikes are common in this denomination: https://www.therightnote.com.au/product/three-pence-1964-australian-error-coin/

Yep spotted this too, very cool!

Latest posts