Following a reef line.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to mark a reefline on a map so I can follow it north and south from the reef workings on a hill I'm getting specimens from. As a reef in the Golden Triangle, so I'm told, runs 10 degrees west of north.How do I mark the line of reef on a map? How many metres would the line of reef be from north at 100 metres from the reef workings on the hill. And also at 500 metres?

I assume that you are using a proper topographical map of the area?

I would place the co-ordinates of your location onto the map and draw a line from that point at 350 using a protractor (your 10 west of north).

Then have a look in the index as there should be a scale that shows the distances for your particular map. Use your schoolboy adjustable geometry compass to mark off the distances that you want on the line using that scale.

Now you can get your co-ordinates where you marked the distances on that line and enter them in your GPS and create a route. Just remember that should you use a magnetic compass it will show the magnetic bearing. You will have to allow for the variation (again it should be marked on your map for that area) and is usually approximately 11E (in Eastern Australia), so your magnetic bearing should be 350 - 11 = 349.

Oops!
1524955256_oops.jpg

What about using Hema maps..Might need the pro version so you can zoom in, on salelite you can zoom in fairly close on the basic version..$49..You can put a way point at each spot you did a specimen..That should tell you where the reef may be..assuming the reef is still in the ground and nor weathered away..You should be able to build up an accurate map using Hema..Good luck..

gps plot/way point your reef then find software that converts your gps plots onto a satellite map as a mark/drop pin you can then plot where roughly that reef runs bear in mind but that faults and folds can and often dose move your reef up or down or sideways making it a little bit tricky to pick the reef up again as well as thick soil cover if you are tracking it and you find you can't see it on the surface or it go's into a big and wide valley you will need to do trenching to locate it again to keep following it.

Can be techo or simple ? Grab a GPS go to workings and mark waypoint 1 . Then simply walk 500 metres North mark waypoint 2, then walk West until you have a heading of 170 back (Go To) to the original workings waypoint. Mark that waypoint 3. Load into Garmin base camp or similar when back home and your track or reef line in this case is plotted (waypoint 1 to waypoint 3)and can be printed out on what ever map type you choose to use / load into program.
For the fun of it, would be good when you reach waypoint 3 to then do a Go To to Waypoint 2 and see how distance compares and would confirm with Silvers Trig calculations of 86.82 ? Not that I doubt them ;)

If you want to do it at your desk then as long as you have the co ordinates of the original workings that is all you need and then use map scale as has been suggested to get distances as required. Happy hunting :Y:

Practice pacing out metres as you walk too.... find a known distance of say 10m or an olympic pool length of 50m and practice pacing out your step length until you get your 1m step length right. That will help you be able to step out your distance on the ground in the bush using a compass if you have to. It's a good skill to possess at any rate. :Y:

silver said:
Practice pacing out metres as you walk too.... find a known distance of say 10m or an olympic pool length of 50m and practice pacing out your step length until you get your 1m step length right. That will help you be able to step out your distance on the ground in the bush using a compass if you have to. It's a good skill to possess at any rate. :Y:

One problem with that is that the distance on a map is planimetric....when you 'pace' out 50m in the bush you are pacing out the slope distance. There is a difference between the two. Eg if you pace out 50m on a 20 degree slope the horizontal (map) distance will only be 47m. You'll be 60m out over a km on a 20 degree slope.

On steeper ground the effect will be larger.

The further you walk the further away you'll be from where you think you are.

For following a compass bearing it wont matter however if the reef follows that same bearing. The down side is thst 500m map distance is slways less than the actual distance unless the ground is perfectly flat snd horizontal which is a rare occurence.

diggit said:
silver said:

One problem with that is that the distance on a map is planimetric....when you 'pace' out 50m in the bush you are pacing out the slope distance. There is a difference between the two. Eg if you pace out 50m on a 20 degree slope the horizontal (map) distance will only be 47m. You'll be 60m out over a km on a 20 degree slope.

For following a compass bearing it wont matter however if the reef follows that same bearing. The down side is thst 500m map distance is slways less than the actual distance unless the ground is perfectly flat snd horizontal which is a rare occurence.
hopefully still get you close enough to where you'd want to do some trenching in this particular instance.
if it was undulating terrain perhaps a laser tape measure reading out to a tree may give a degree of accuracy (if they work on bark that is) if we are only talking smaller distances with steeper hills involved. :D

silver said:
diggit said:
silver said:

hopefully still get you close enough to where you'd want to do some trenching in this particular instance.
if it was undulating terrain perhaps a laser tape measure reading out to a tree may give a degree of accuracy (if they work on bark that is) if we are only talking smaller distances with steeper hills involved. :D

For sure it will get you in the ball park. I just posted the above so people are aware of it. I'd hate to think of a PA member just missing out on a reef by a 100m! Life is hard enough lol

WOW!! thanks for all the information on tracing the reef line. Great amount of varied ways of doing it. Many thanks to everyone who replied. So far i've found about 90 specimens, and about 15 very small, coarse nuggets. My guestimate is about 2 ounces in the specimens. They're very unusual as the exposed gold on them is quite smooth, but when i dollied up a few that beeped, but showed no gold, there was very coarse gold inside the quartz. I got them with the Z, now i'll go back with the 2300 just for a bit of fun. wiley

Oh.... and keep the eye in the back of your head peeled on the way out now too.... make sure your not being followed .... and play ALL your cards close to your chest from here on in mate.
Good luck cobber
and may the golden gods smile down upon you. :D

Don't forget to strip out any GPS info from your photos as well, if you are taking them with a GPS enabled camera or phone. there are a few ways to do it google is helpful , not sure if the forum strips the images before they are uploaded but better safe then sorry.

Good luck i look forward to hearing more about your progress. :Y:

roddosnow said:
Don't forget to strip out any GPS info from your photos as well, if you are taking them with a GPS enabled camera or phone. there are a few ways to do it google is helpful , not sure if the forum strips the images before they are uploaded but better safe then sorry.

Good luck i look forward to hearing more about your progress. :Y:

This is a great thread so decided to wake it up again.. and make a comment too - can't help myself!

As for removing GPS info from photo's, dont bother, instead like me just take photo's of finds on your way home miles way from the location of the find.

Does anyone have the coordinates for that tunnel that runs between the Maldon pub and the old brothel?

Latest posts