C.Q Gemfields tree clearing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly47

Raymond Gill
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am keen observer of whats happening in the Gemfields, as we will be there in June/July for an extended stay this year.

One facebook page i belong to has an article about local grazing lease's clearing some designated prospecting areas with large dozers. No trees to be seen at Graves Hill fossicking area, also talk of other very popular fossicking areas being cleared as well.

my plan was to camp at Graves Hill for a while and scratch around for some colour, now I will have a look at the area first, probably head to Glenalva instead.

There is also talk of the native Title issues being resolved so claim applications are quicker to process,,

Anakie Gem show is an impressive event, hope the land clearing doesn't affect the tourist trade,

Well said Wally. I have heard of people, kids, in Inverell walking over ploughed grounds after the rain to pick up coloured rocks to use in their shanghais. That was many, many years ago now.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Well said Wally. I have heard of people, kids, in Inverell walking over ploughed grounds after the rain to pick up coloured rocks to use in their shanghais. That was many, many years ago now.
Mackka

That is also a factual account of childhood memories of my grandmothers family, they also used them as marbles. I grew up with those stories being told at family gatherings and they always joked about having to move back to Glen Innes to dig up their old backyard to recover them one day.

Unfortunately Mackka, that sort of luck didnt seem to be passed down to my generation. 8.( although I did spec a small party coloured stone at Rubyvale, unfortunately it was too flat to cut or use to catch my dinner. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: maybe the account of history has changed with the passage of time and they used their shanghais as dowsing sticks to find them :D

Ah Wally I feel ya pain. I introduced my brother in law to gemstone fossicking and man did we move some dirt. Oberon, Crookwell, Glen Innes and all over Inverell and surrounds.
One story, short one, we are digging away and a bloke and his wife come up to say g'day, as you do. He says he's going down a bit to put a shovel full through the sieve.
Came back 10 minutes later with a pure green that would have gone 30 carats no joke. He held it between his thumb and forefinger and the gap would have been over 1/2 inch.
I had the irrits after that I can tell you.
I must admit, I miss those days.
Mackka

The trees where actually brought down by a chain pulled by 2 dozers so apart from the tree root ball not a lot of soil was disturbed.
Dave

No Tree No Me.... :mad:
1525680128_untitled2.jpg

LW...

Latest posts