Gold Rat leg kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anolphart

Zol Straub
Reaction score
Ive got the 8 Gold Rat sluice which Im very happy with, but at times it is difficult to find a suitable location to set it up in creeks when the water flow is low. There is a river nearby which nearly always has a good flow rate but it runs too deep for the sluice. There is a high banker leg kit that can be fitted whereby it could be used in deep (ish) water which would make it a lot more versatile, but I was wondering how effective it actually is. Is the 8" too small and too light for it to be used effectively?

Given that the dream mat requires a certain amount of flow and angle for it to work correctly, can it be achieved in deepish water using the legs? Would the water stall at the tail end and perhaps impede its performance?

These two images were taken off the Gold Rats website . . .
1524821919_sluice_box_legs.jpg

1524822150_leg_kit.jpg

Keen to see where this goes. I also have the 8 inch river sluice and the leg kit but have not yet tried it in the middle of flowing water.

It should work. The flow through the sluice should not affect the material being washed over the dream mat with tailings just dropping out the end.

Theory versus practice.

Keen to know what other users think on this topic.

You would need to set it up in rapids to get enough flow. I once used a similar riffle box in the river at Combienbar in East Gippsland. It worked quite well when the angle and flow was right.

Because the waters surface is flat or level i imagine a greater flow speed would be needed to achieve the vortexes , that is my guess.

I do know the dream matt was tested with several inches of water over it and worked quite well , from memory the whole sluice was pretty much under water.

The man that sells them matts is the man that knows the answers . :Y:

Interesting idea. I know how it could work but you would either need to use power or have a really long gutter system with higher sides and run it way down river.