Air Compressors,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you know last week I bought the new ARB High Power 12v Portable Air Compressor and it got me head scratching because the spec on the box and on web sites do not match it's performance or what ARB quote on their site, The new model called the High Output is not far off the pace off my 150L twin pot compressor but everyone keeps quoting 75L per minute or 2.65cfm free Air or 61.6L @ 29psi, The Correct figures on ARB's site are 87.2L or 3.08 cfm which is exactly half of what the Twin model puts out.

Where this all went pear shaped is because there has been 3 models of the 12v portable,

This is Model "One" with black handle and catches with the deep lid box.
1524704578_old_arb_portable_top.jpg

1524704828_old_arb_early_portable.jpg

Then there was Model Two which has the old Pump in the new Box but the box has a black handle and catches.
1524704943_old_arb_paortable_dscf9200.jpg

And then they bought out model Three, the newer ARB High Output 12v Portable Model, that puts out 87.2L /3.08CFM which is the current offering, with the Orange handle and catches, This model is misquoted in every test/review as they always quote the specs from the older models above even in the latest multi compressor tests, The performance difference is the models above will Air Up a 33-12.5 from 10-35PSI in 5:39. And the High Output Model will fill the same Tyre from 20psi to 40psi in 2 minutes 17seconds, That's 3 minutes 22 seconds faster,

ARB have done nothing to correct the printing mistakes on their packaging yet the true specs can be found if you scroll down to where the specs link is printed, There is a reason that the new model is called the "High Output" and that is because it pumps out 87.2 L per minute as opposed to 61.6Lpm. I find this quite annoying because I nearly ended up buying the bigger Twin at nearly 3 times the price when the truth is the High output model will pump up to 35/37" tyres according to their site, And the speed it will Air Up a 245/70/16 from 15 to 32 psi is a scorching 1 minute 03 seconds, knowing that it will Air up a 33/12.5 X 16 in 2m 17secs it was no surprize when it took my road tyre up to 56psi in 3 minutes flat. That's almost "ONE" psi every 3 to 4 seconds,

https://www.arb.com.au/air-compressors-tyre-accessories/air-compressors/

1524705213_ckmp12_600_600_arbil.jpg

John.

A R B..... Aussie Rip-off Bastards........ I will Never have another of their products after the way they treat/con you.... If you are not spending over $1000, they treat you as a peasant..... Every store I have been into it's the same attitude..... :rolleyes:

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
A R B..... Aussie Rip-off Bastards........ I will Never have another of their products after the way they treat/con you.... If you are not spending over $1000, they treat you as a peasant..... Every store I have been into it's the same attitude..... :rolleyes:

LW.....

Well that's a shame because my local store treats me brilliantly. I had a air compressor pack up on me once when it was just out of warranty. The store repaired it at no cost to me and it is still going strong.

I'll have to have a look at mine RR, mine was free when I bought 4 bfg Goodrich ko2,s.
Looks the same, will have a look when I put the car away

LoneWolf said:

LW.....

Well mate all I can say is they must be franchised based where you are, Because I Ring my dealers and talk turkey and the deal is done, On Tuesday I called them and ordered the big 3 and a half inch "Low Pressure" Tyre gauge, cost me 15.00 / $27.45c and it was delivered free by 2pm the next day from 200+ miles away,

I think the issues you have had says more about the people than the company, Because the folks I am dealing with always do me a deal, They had the cheapest price on that compressor @ $401.86 and they still gave me another $35.86c off, Charging me $366.00 again Delivered the next day free of Charge, and they sent me a spare hose for my twin pot compressor free of charge, They are top people so much so that I have ear marked most of my spare cash for the next 12 months or more for them so I can finish my truck off.

I understand you being upset with them if that is how they treat you, But you are going to miss out on some good gear in the long run,

Hope you have better luck in the future, :Y:

John.

davent said:
I'll have to have a look at mine RR, mine was free when I bought 4 bfg Goodrich ko2,s.
Looks the same, will have a look when I put the car away

Cool deal Dave, I had to pay cash, Lol.

I been doing some checking around and some folks are still using the models they bought 25-30 years ago so regardless of the model they are worth their weight in Gold, Back in 2003 I bought that TruckAir 275 and it was the only option to the ARB, and they made wild claims so I bought it and it was ok on car tyres but on the truck I'd have to take a cut lunch with me to get the job done, On the TruckAir Box it says it puts out 0.49 cfm that works out to be 13.875L, That's a huge difference compared to what we have now,

I found one comparo that was pretty good but the writer went on to write another review when he took some of the other models apart and some of the things he found inside made me glad that I bought the ARB and if you own an ARB then you have the best there is, Others might have higher outputs but the inside pictures said it all, :Y:

John.

Yeah nothing wrong with ARB or their prices and always my go to place when I want to be bent over :rolleyes: Here is a few examples :Y:
Price I was actually given over phone for the W90287 kit was $365, but then what's a couple of hundred between mates hey :Y: Oh but it gets better, the $165 price also included shipping to my door from the USA . The ARB price for the Warn W76080 is listed at $305 and you can buy it in Rockhampton Qld for $180 posted :Y: There is profit and then there is blatant rip off ............... you decide I guess ;) but no wonder they are smiling at you .
1524779319_bent-over-man-cartoon-going-office-funny-picture.jpg

https://www.arb.com.au/download/?fl=29720
W90287. Warn Wireless Remote. 341.00 Each. W76080. Warn Wireless Remote Kit. 305.00 Each. W86553. Underbonnet Contactor Kit. 640.00 Each. 3500410. XDC Control Box Bracket. 25.00 Each. HAND WINCH SPARES. MHWSP. Magnum Hand Winch Shear Pin. 3.00 Each. SYNTHETIC ROPES & ACCESSORIES.

Same EXACT item purchased out of the US

1524776455_warn_remote.jpg

My Winch came with the normal remote and the cordless remote absolutely "Free", Since Warn started getting their gear made over seas they have had quite a few issues with QC, One day I went to a store and bought 2 Warn Winches but then I compared them to some other brands and I sold the 2 Warns.

Warn use to make a V-Twin compressor but for some reason they are no longer for sale, It was quite a beast but I think that it was too big and too heavy for most folks to lug around,

The People I get my gear from are pretty honest folks, I spoke to them today and they are sorting some bits for my Truck that they are going to have to import from ARB in OZ.

Purchased mine years ago .................... when it was quality I guess you could say. Think your right as far as ARB are concerned, in that if your lucky enough to get a good franchise / dealer operator then maybe ok ................ if not ................. suffer.
But the prices listed on ARB web site is still way over the top of other sellers for the same item :mad:

Bogger said:
Purchased mine years ago .................... when it was quality I guess you could say. Think your right as far as ARB are concerned, in that if your lucky enough to get a good franchise / dealer operator then maybe ok ................ if not ................. suffer.
But the prices listed on ARB web site is still way over the top of other sellers for the same item :mad:

Yep, Today I called them about another compressor for someone and before I said a word he told me that he would workout a price for me, And He is very honest to the point if he thinks I don't need something he tells me outright and says that what I own is Ideal for the job at hand, He tells me straight even though it's costing him a Sale.

John.

i bought a renegade 12 volt 2 years ago still running strong.. was used pretty much every day 6 months a year at work.. run all the air tools I need impact gun, etc. Blowes up my tires faster than many servos will ever do compressor. About the same price as the ARB and will do more.. a little bit on the big side, about the size of a milk crate.
1524804420_dc12-112.jpg

https://www.tradetools.com/product-...de-industrial-compressor-12v-40-50amps-112lpm

I have a few mates with arb compressors and a few with the cheap Thumpers off 4x4supacentre.com.au
They highly rate the Thumpers considering the prices as well. Obviously for those looking for a portable option

calcitecaves said:
I have a few mates with arb compressors and a few with the cheap Thumpers off 4x4supacentre.com.au
They highly rate the Thumpers considering the prices as well. Obviously for those looking for a portable option

Yep, the thumpers seem pretty good, I what it boils down to is "Do you want" a Compressor you can get parts for or do you want to just get the most out of it and throw it away, And although I have a 150L Twin Pump compressor and It is great but the little thing that presses against the Valve snapped out of the bit that screws on the Valve and I could not get a replacement So I Ordered the ARB because I don't want to be stuck again with a good compressor and No way of using it, In got a new Hose for the Twin Pump compressor after 3 or 4 weeks but I had to use the Old TruckAir 275 until I got the ARB and then they sent me a whole new Hose for the Twin Pump, But that Truck Air is Ok for Car tyres but painfully slow on Truck tyres, It took about 45 minutes to do 1 flat tyre and one from 17 psi.

So to avoid anymore parts hassels is why I bought the ARB.

Tathradj said:
I have the under bonnet version of that.
Very Happy with it. :Y: :Y:

One of the things I like most about the ARB's is the fact that they shut off when the hose is not connected or if you are using the proper Tyre Gauge Inflator and let the trigger Go, with the other types you have to run back to the compressor and shut them off or they build up pressure in the pipe or worse, But the ARB's are just like using a normal compressor at home or the servo. and that straight hose is a Joy to use., I also bought another ARB Hose Kit so now I have about 40 to 45 foot reach which is a bonus if I am Towing,

J.

I have a 12v sockets wired around the camper trailer. 1 in the left front for the fridge, 1 left rear for tele, 1 on kitchen bench to plug in the inverter for 240v usage like microwave, jug etc.

Latest posts