Micro-highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check out my highbanker for those arears that dont allow gas engins
1524519551_20180423_130140.jpg

No, It is manually operated. :) :)
I have designed and built a rocker box with two of them.
Just for the interim. :Y: :Y:
Very efficient. :D :D :D

That thing could potentially be a little weapon! Looks great! Would love to see a video when you get it out on the creek! I'm very curious about them there bilge pumps!
You might already know but I hear it helps immensely if you put a check valve onto the end of your intake hose :Y:
Tarthra! What's this sneaky little rockerbox you have been working on!? Would also be really great to see a video or some pictures!
I still haven't finished the one I started last year :|

Would one of you people like to explain what a highbanker is to this total beginner please?
And how to they differ from a sluice?

Your piece of equipment looks very good Sourdough Moe!

Hi Jim,

A high banker is basically a sluice with a water delivery system attached. The idea being that you can use it up on the bank away from the actual water flow of the creek/river. At present in NSW there is a ban on the use of a high bankers if the water is supplied by a motorised pump. lf you supply water to the sluice box via a gravity fed pipe or a hand operated bilge pump such as Sourdough Moe shows then this should still be legal.

If you search this forum for high bankers you will see the many threads relating to the current debate over whether the NSW ban should be enforcable or not and the actions by many people including prospecting lobby groups to get the government to reverse the ban.

Cheers,
Troutman

Troutman said:
Hi Jim,

A high banker is basically a sluice with a water delivery system attached. The idea being that you can use it up on the bank away from the actual water flow of the creek/river. At present in NSW there is a ban on the use of a high bankers if the water is supplied by a motorised pump. lf you supply water to the sluice box via a gravity fed pipe or a hand operated bilge pump such as Sourdough Moe shows then this should still be legal..............

Very good, thanks for that explanation Troutman. I assume that gravel/sand material is first loaded into the sluice or highbanker using a bucket or shovel, then flushed with water (via the method you describe) to allow the riffles in the device to separate out any gold. Is that more or less correct?

If you search this forum for high bankers you will see the many threads relating to the current debate over whether the NSW ban should be enforcable or not and the actions by many people including prospecting lobby groups to get the government to reverse the ban.
Cheers,
Troutman

I have seen some in my searches, but did not fully appreciate the significance. I will read again.

Jim.

Sourdough Moe said:
Check out my highbanker for those arears that dont allow gas enginshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11417/1524519551_20180423_130140.jpg

Looks good, what brand is it ?

Jim0000 said:
Very good, thanks for that explanation Troutman. I assume that gravel/sand material is first loaded into the sluice or highbanker using a bucket or shovel, then flushed with water (via the method you describe) to allow the riffles in the device to separate out any gold. Is that more or less correct?

Cheers,
Troutman

I have seen some in my searches, but did not fully appreciate the significance. I will read again.

Jim.

Yes Jim you have the method correct.

a few years ago, one could pump water from a watercourse when the high bankers were not outlawed , but can you still legally pump water to a collection tank so you can ladle the water by hand to wash the sluice material in the banker or rocker box ?, the overflow water from your reservoir just filters back into the ground no siltation or turbidity to worry the environment i forget what legislation allowed the pumping but remember it was limited to how many litres so if you filled a 220 litres drum, perhaps you could attach the hand operated bilge pump to it, its not really mechanical , those bilge pumps are not cheap what are you thoughts ????

Hey Sourdough Moe, have you had a test drive of your whiz bang highbanker yet?

Would love to know how much effort is required to keep an adequate supply of water and is it hard to feed the header while you're pumping?

Is there anything that you would do differently if you were to do it over again?

Latest posts