Kings Awnings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just give you a heads up if anyone has bought Awnings from the 4x4supacentre. While driving to work the other day people were flashing their lights at me so I automatically expected to see a roadside radar unit but after a couple of kms of seeing nothing I looked around and saw the awning hanging on by the front rivet. :mad:

I've already fixed it but ensured that there is more rivets in it now then before. The cover and zip got a bit damaged but the awning is still serviceable. :Y:

I travel on a lot of gravel roads and after seeing what happened to my awning I recommend that you inspect your awning and add more rivets.

1524099967_20180419_103919-800x600.jpg

1524099987_20180419_103939-800x600.jpg

Cheers

Doug

I poped into our local kings distributior yesterday to look at a few bits and pieces. Only to find out that they are dropping kings.
He finds them difficult to deal with, saying things like grey nomads coming into the shop with warrenty problems from fridges and lights, and not being able to help them on the spot, having to send the problem back to where it was bought, he said he wanted to be able to replace the items on the spot, but wasn't able to do so. Shame really, because a lot of us like some of their products.
My favorite is the led light strips, really good value.

Us of the older ilk never would of touched Chinese goods years ago as they were competing against home grown quality items. These days there is that much competition that the dealers try to keep their customers happy. With the prices they are charging it is easier to replace something because of all the money they make on mass sales as not everyone will ask for a replacement.

Just my thoughts. I have hand skills so it is easier to fix something then try and get it replaced. Time and convenience comes into play.

Cheers

Doug

I have had my ARB one now for about 9 years and it is still going strong. I will admit that I did replace the rivets about six months ago as some had come out but besides that no issues. Another thing that can cause this is sticks and branches getting between the bag and awning mounts on narrow tracks. :)

One thing I found is most offer very little shade, they are great to keep the rain off a swag, but as for shade they are bloody useless.
They really need to be 100% block, when you are hot the last thing you want is partial shade.

Occasional_panner said:
One thing I found is most offer very little shade, they are great to keep the rain off a swag, but as for shade they are bloody useless.
They really need to be 100% block, when you are hot the last thing you want is partial shade.

side walls work a treat

OzzieAu said:
Tibooburra is where you need shade,... this 270 degree Alucab awning serves the purpose for me.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4086/1524137736_6e25ffdf-ece7-4f7f-b134-fea0168cc9a0.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7737_aa3affa9-128f-45b3-b91f-da8706595c5a.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...7737_2b40161d-13cb-40f7-b95d-2bb6432fbd93.jpg

That is an awesome awning OzzieAu :Y: first time I saw it on a GT meet and I still tell people about it. If I remember correctly you said their a South African unit.

Rockhunter62 said:
Us of the older ilk never would of touched Chinese goods years ago as they were competing against home grown quality items. These days there is that much competition that the dealers try to keep their customers happy. With the prices they are charging it is easier to replace something because of all the money they make on mass sales as not everyone will ask for a replacement.

Just my thoughts. I have hand skills so it is easier to fix something then try and get it replaced. Time and convenience comes into play.

Cheers

Doug
Doug , you should of put the safety pins in .....things like this when I see ALUM rivets, I replace them with S/S 304 ....they don't work loose on gravel roads..just an idea.....only a gunnie...buy the way I just got a new truck 2018 Isuzu.....

You want to see if you can get your hands on some Aircraft pop rivets because when you fit them they leave a hardened Steel pin in the centre of the rivet and they don't break, They only way to remove one is to use a punch and drive the pin out and then drill the rivet out, If you don't punch the pin out first the drill will skate around across the top and do nothing, They hang on for grim death.

hope that helps.

J.

Latest posts