Oziexplorer help and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone using this setup. Have been trying to get it up and running but not having any luck. I need to some help to get this going. Have tried connecting Gps, selecting moving map and selecting start, but gps is not being picked up. when I go onto configuration and try locate GPS, it picks it up, so I don't know what the problem is, something somewhere isn't connecting, but I can't figure it out. Seriously its doing my head in at the moment. Hope someone can help. :) :)

This is totally different to what you need but i struggled
Looking for something similiar.

My solution? I Downloaded Mud Maps and downloaded
the map I needed. For Vic it cost $60 and its awesome
as your Driving or moving you can see yourself on the
track moving along.

Good luck with it.

Hi Goldiewa
Have you done these steps in OziExplorer:
1) Open Config/GPS tab and selected GPS Make Garmin. Then select GPS Model Etrex10. Then lesser importance select GPS Symbol Set ETrex10.
2) Open Config/Com tab and selected Garmin USB in the centre of the box and also Use PVT for Garmin instead of NMEA
3) I have a different Garmin but the Com Port on that tab for General Com Setting for me is "1", Parity is "None" and Stop bits 1

The first thing you need to do is download GPS Port Checker from the Oziexplorer site

GOTO - Oziexplorer.com - Then click on the Utilities Hyperlink listed in the left hand blue menu. Scroll down to GPS Port Checker and download it, then install it to your laptop. Connect your GPS you laptop switched on and run the port checker program. It will tell you in a list what number port your GPS is connected to.

Then open Oziexplorer - open the FILE drop down menu - click on CONFIGURATION - click on the COM tab - At general com settings, COM port enter the port number you obtained from the port checker program.

Then go to the GPS tab and enter Garmin as the GPS make and scroll the GPS model to the model you have. Initially you can accept the rest of the data as standard.

This will allow you to upload and download waypoints and tracks to and from your GPS.

I would then suggest you go to Oziexplorer Help and search moving map to get more info.

The other help you might get is to email ozi and ask Des for further assistance for your specific set up.

BTW if you change USB ports on your laptop, you will need to ascertain its number again and change the number in Ozi config, they are all different.

Thanks for all your advice, have tried everything but the Etrex 10 just won't work in moving map. Pretty much over it at this stage, will have to try mapping some other way. Maybe Google Earth realtime mapping, anyone tried that???

Have you set the gps output to MNEA

Taken from help

To use moving map your GPS must output certain NMEA sentences in the 0183 format. The required sentence(s) are :

$GPRMC (preferred) or
($GPGGA and $GPVTG) or
($GPGLL and $GPVTG).

:) :) Thanks for all your help. Have tried the com port checker, picks nothing up. the com ports seem to be missing in my device manager as well, so I am thinking that this may be the cause of the problem as I cannot see what com port my etrex 10 is plugged into. I am running Windows 7. Have downloaded Garmin current drivers as well. Cannot believe how difficult this has been. Brain is on overload at the moment, just can't work it out. :( :( :( :(

I'm struggling to get the new WA Current Tenements to load into Oziexplorer.

I had the old tenements working but the new ones dont seem to work.

Does anyone have a cheat sheet or link they could share please? Thanks!

Hi Imadogman
I've just gone thru the whole exercise myself. Have a look at "Aussie Bloke Prospector" on YouTube, he has some good instructional videos to take you through the process.

if you have any problems just email me and i will do what i can to help.

one thing that maybe stopping you is the tenement files have to be initially saved in kml format from google earth.
Also download GPSBabel free soft ware to enable conversion from kml to plt format. hope this doesn't sound confusing but it makes sense after viewing the youtube segments.
Cheers
Bob

I suspect you already know of "The Happy Prospector" app but just in case .... It's easy to use but you do need an Android device and perhaps buy the premium version when it comes out. A lot less work though than putting stuff like that into Ozi.

Good luck.

Detectist said:
I suspect you already know of "The Happy Prospector" app but just in case .... It's easy to use but you do need an Android device and perhaps buy the premium version when it comes out. A lot less work though than putting stuff like that into Ozi.

Good luck.
I believe a version for Apple devices has been released

Thanks guys, managed to load the tenments into Ozi all OK. Misread my own instructions! :(

Is there a trick to being able to show the status of the tenement in Ozi (eg live or pending)? At present the shape of the tenements is in there, but it is not possible to see information about the tenements. Google earth has that information embedded in its files if you load the tenements, and is very functional, but unlike Ozi, Google earth does not operate offline unless the relevant files are cached.

Imadogman said:
Thanks guys, managed to load the tenments into Ozi all OK. Misread my own instructions! :(

Is there a trick to being able to show the status of the tenement in Ozi (eg live or pending)? At present the shape of the tenements is in there, but it is not possible to see information about the tenements. Google earth has that information embedded in its files if you load the tenements, and is very functional, but unlike Ozi, Google earth does not operate offline unless the relevant files are cached.

please again what is the file forum you are trying to load

CTXKid -- talking about WA Current Tenements.

Sat down with a mate last night and we have figured that if you download the tenements into Google Earth KMZ, save as KML, and you can then convert them via GPSBabel to files that can be loaded into Ozi explorer. You load them separately (live and pending) so you end up with an Ozi map that shows the live and pending in different colours. I think this is what BobH suggested above.

The outcome still does not carry the tenement information, but it has key information, i.e.live or pending.

Thanks for help everyone. This is looking pretty good as a solution.

Thanks Detrack.
Unfortunate, but I can't see anything in those links -- just two lines of text. Live / Pending. cheers.