Sweeping close to the ground

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Off out in Amherst area again at the end of this week, and a lot of the areas i'm finding have lots of leaf litter, preventing me getting real close to the ground with the detector. Does anyone scrape a small area clear of leaves etc. before they detect..?

search this forum theirs lots of opinions. I cant see a problem as long as you return the ground to somewhat like it was prior. I dont do it but sometimes wonder if i should be.Each to their own .It could also waste a lot of time.

I only start scraping leaves if I hear a faint signal, if that turns out to be a target then I'll continue to scraped leaves around the area with the side of my pick to see if there's more targets close by.

If you get a faint signal and it turns out to be :Y: I'd clear a bit of ground and see if things improve. If it does have a good look at the lie and clear 5 metres square if you find more cleari n the direction of the finds.

Don't be frighted to scrap your skidplate along the ground, mine spends more time touching ground, rocks, branches, etc, etc than not. Skidplate arn't that dear compared to looking those important com's of gold bearing ground!