Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
Manpa said:
condor22 said:
So What is it :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1529822314_to_travel.jpg

This is how it travels, under the bed of the van.

See next post

Shower tent?

Nice try, but it's the size of a small dog kennel, so it would be a very squeezy shower and definitely no room for a "friend" lol.
Only need to cover neck to knee.!

Nice work though, amazing what you can build with PVC and keep the weight down. :N:

Looking for a solution to this "like to have"

1529842299_awning.jpg

The awning on my caravan will extend as per the LH diag all the way out with the leg either attached to the van or vertical. When all the way out the awning material uncovers a rope track suitable for an annex wall or privacy screen (NOT what I'm after) and a flap. However, I rarely extend the awning all the way, in fact I have it at it's minimum extension, primarily to lessen the wind effect. If I'm out detecting, I don't want to come back to camp to find the awning ripped over the top of the van :).

So, to what I would like - As I often bush camp and water is not always readily available, I would like to come up with an idea to collect rainwater from the annex, but when it's half out.

Hanging a bucket, sieve, filter, hose to a jerry is not really the issue and neither is lowering one end to give a flow to them. I've seen some mouldings that turn the awning flap into a gutter and even plastic guttering attached to the rope track. But neither of these is available when the awning is half deployed. I certainly don't want to damage the awning either, so my question is, anyone seen something that will spark the grey matter to an inferno, lol.

So looking for a light weight gutter and a way of fitting it.

I'd use something like below and you could insert some small pieces of flat steel at several intervals along it then simply use some good rare earth magnets to hold in position from the underside. Placed out as close to the extrusion (which from my understanding is always going to be available whatever amount of awning is out ) is going to give you a nice straight flat surface. You could even have a canvas roll sewn up with some metal pieces sewn in by a canvas maker. As after all you only have to create an edge for the water to pool and run down along. Simple to do, cheap and can fold up to nothing for storage when not in use.
Or you could mount magnets in the rubber and use a one piece metal strip coated with heat shrink so it doesn't mark canvas and place that up from underneath which would create it's own flat surface. But think the former is easier.
Or following Dougs idea but a bit more involved, is have a length of Velcro fastener sewn across awning and then mount what ever you wish to create the gutter effect using mating Velcro strip to attach. The furry side :eek: sewn to awning as it's non abrasive.
Or use magnetised rubber stripping / mouldings ................ heaps of types available ? The magnet effect wouldn't be as strong as rare earth magnets I shouldn't imagine ?

1529872525_rubber.jpg

1529872988_magnets.jpg

1529875175_magnetic_rubber.jpg

One of my mates collected rainwater from his 4wd awning, he was sick as a dog for three days.
Some of those things get treated with all sorts of crap and aren't meant to be food grade.

I like the magnet idea.

I don't want to stick silicone on the awning or do any stitching. The awning is a reo poly material.

I only use tank water for dishes n showers. I always drink/cook with bottled water.

Too bad that the sloping awing to a bucket doesn't work for you Mike as I used it successfully on a previous van, but it had a different rolling system. In fact I was toying with the idea of putting a funnel instead of bucket and hose straight into the van water inlet.

How about running a hose or thick plastic strip along the top of the awing near the outer edge to divert the water to one side, that has a few magnets or bits of steel fixed inside/on it and hold it in place with the magnets underneath the awing. Would still need a bit of a slope, but I guess you could use two pieces to run it to the middle of the awing, and then into a bucket at that point.

Rob P.

Gonna go for a browse in Bunnings..... I sometimes have the idea, without necessarily knowing how to do it. Wandering through the isles can trigger the grey matter :)

I think the magnet idea is probably the go. I already have a half deployed awning with a run off to collect water if it rains, so will leave out the extra plastic sheet idea.

I see 2 issues; 1. Dropping one end to steer the water to that end, easy fixed, and 2. Creating a small Dam before the water runs off the awning = more thought.

So, next issue, I don't want to carry something 3.6M long - my answer ; 4 pieces of something 900mm long is easy enough to carry and deploy. Fixed using magnets and butted up together. Doesn't need to be totally water proof re gaps as most of the water will still run off in reasonable rain.

Needs to light weight, preferably plastic with a piece of steel either end for an opposing magnet to hold in place.
Funnel - with a filter (for debris) hose attached to feed either a jerry can or direct to the tank. Either tied up with rope or I put my design hat on and come up with a suitable bracket.

PS I do have capacity to carry extra water in 3 x 20 lt jerry cans. I also have a 12 VDC pump to transfer from them to the van tank in about 2 minutes. (I'm past trying to hold 20kg of water while it drains or find something to stand them on.) I only have 1 x 60 lt van tank, but can carry another 60 lt with the jerries. Most places I go I can drive to get more water, but some places can mean a fair drive.

Go to the Ullrich website , they have small extrusions made for tarp retention , shaped like a circle with a slit in it .

You take a 6-7 mm diameter rope , fold your tarp over the rope and stitch the tarp over the rope , when you want the tarp fitted you slide it into the Ali track and fit your support poles as drawn in your other pic .

Magnets might fail in a strong wind ?

Found it.

Awning rail.

http://www.ullrich.com.au/extrusions/mouldings

Latest posts