Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dihusky said:
Bought a couple of 110Ah Crystals for the 24v system on the 6x6, yep they are heavy, 32kg a piece, did the economics and they stacked up really well, given that they estimate an 8-10 yr life span, fully sealed so no top up, can run upside down etc though not intentionally. As previously mentioned they are a deep cycle battery NOT a start battery, also it appears their charging requirements are a bit different, need a higher current input prior to float, Betta indicated around 30A at about 14.4v so I have to do some tests with my Auto sparky so establish what the Generator is putting out.

Will probably end up charging via a combined system so the solar panels can take care of the float and not run in conflict with the engine charging system. When the engine input stops, solar takes over instead of both running at the same time as they would if wired separately.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1524482456_lead-crystal-batteries.jpg

A projecta IDC45 should be able to handle what you require, and no doubt Redarc would also do a unit but would be much dearer. The Crystals apparently having the charge characteristics similar to that of an AGM . From memory this unit charges solar and alt at the same time but no reason one couldn't simply put a switch on the solar input side and just turn on once camped up if you wanted to run solar and alt charge separately.

cairnspom said:
Don know about the projecta, the redarc switches from alt to solar automatically, if theres no alt charge and the solar is plugged in it charges from the solar automatically.

Yes Projecta does the same also but I think OP wanted to use the solar just for float charge not run solar and Alt charge simultaneously. I know Projecta does this and pretty sure the redarc use same method.

Interestingly the Redarc has a priority green in that it gives solar priority when available to take load of the alternator ............... makes sense given the newer vehicles with smart alternator designs to help fuel economy and emissions.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/lZh7MXVZSHU[/video]

Hey Bogger, what a pisser, don't you just love how good old Shauno said "that's why I chose the redarc bcdc charger"

Something tells me
A he just does what the hell he is told
B he was told, "here is a redarc unit Shaun, talk it up or you are fired".
C he he didn't choose or pay for it.

That being said I have the exact one myself, the only gripe is the VERY narrow voltage range the solar mppt works in.

Yes you are correct Bogger it chooses solar first, even with alt running.

Mine survived a trady toolbox fire too, so bloody tough unit.

Rockhunter62 said:
Dihusky said:
Bought a couple of 110Ah Crystals for the 24v system on the 6x6, yep they are heavy, 32kg a piece, did the economics and they stacked up really well, given that they estimate an 8-10 yr life span, fully sealed so no top up, can run upside down etc though not intentionally. As previously mentioned they are a deep cycle battery NOT a start battery, also it appears their charging requirements are a bit different, need a higher current input prior to float, Betta indicated around 30A at about 14.4v so I have to do some tests with my Auto sparky so establish what the Generator is putting out.

Will probably end up charging via a combined system so the solar panels can take care of the float and not run in conflict with the engine charging system. When the engine input stops, solar takes over instead of both running at the same time as they would if wired separately.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1524482456_lead-crystal-batteries.jpg

What 6x6 you running Dihusky?

Cheers

Doug

Landrover 110 Perentie
1524656156_the_new_project.jpg

Getting to the last stages of the build, waiting for the back storage chests

Got the landscaping screws, weird lookin head on them, from bunnings in adelaide two types of drivers needed T40 and standard hex, 125mm to 300mm teflon coated also acquired an extension shaft 450mm, now the financial controller has taken over the pegging down job using the 18v driver

Gilly47 said:
Got the landscaping screws, weird lookin head on them, from bunnings in adelaide two types of drivers needed T40 and standard hex, 125mm to 300mm teflon coated also acquired an extension shaft 450mm, now the financial controller has taken over the pegging down job using the 18v driver
Welcome to the world of no more hammering pegs into hard ground! :) :) :)

Cheap and cheerfull way to stop dust, creepy crawlers etc getting into your water tank fittings, hose connections etc is a 16mm chair leg rubber tip. Also protects the o rings from uv degradation.
I use this on my home irrigation system to keep the ants out. $2.25 for 4, cheaper than hose fittings and more durable.
1524962143_image.jpg

1524962181_image.jpg

1525221501_3225f2db-51ae-4d12-874f-c45f6f52e071.jpg
1525221516_1b71ffb8-98b7-4ace-af95-d4d277a094ea.jpg
1525221532_7dcb10c7-7bb5-4185-b9e0-2553d66ba61a.jpg

This is my set up. I have enough room for all of my cooking etc on one side, single bed with storage under on the other. If my wife comes I throw a stretcher tent in and she can sleep in the car and I sleep in the stretcher tent. I can live comfortably for quite a while. I have 60 ltrs of water onboard and take $6 slabs of woollies water for drinking. It is pretty comfortable. Cheers Rick

Spentthe morning at Underwood with Joel from Camp King doing a trial fit of the chest carcasses. His crew have done an amazing job, the fit was perfect to the millimeter, just had to ease the mounting bolts of the drivers side jerry can holder to slide the chest in, but nothing in it. All dimensions were amazingly accurate!

Now the internal fitout is confirmed they can be finished, then home for the spray job! :) :)

1525244500_passenger-side.jpg

1525244470_drivers-side-chests.jpg

1525244532_drivers-side-rear.jpg

That's a Cool looking unit that's for sure, Love It, :Y:

Well done, you have done a really nice job on that.

Latest posts