Camp Set Up Tips & Tricks Plus Products That Work And Those That Don't

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought it may serve well for some tips and tricks to be shared as I'm sure there are some inventive minds out there ? Also products that are good value for money and those that are simply a waste of money. :rolleyes: Makes camping easier and also could save some dollars for people along the way.
I'll start it with a simple one for any with water pumps in camper or van. Use a simple "T" Piece Tap in water supply line before pump and can switch from main tank with good drinking water to a jerry can or similar you can fill with dam or bore water which will quite suffice for showers etc. Simply being able to change source of supply. You only need a water outlet on outside of camper to plug shower into. A 60 litre under tank will last several weeks for drinking and cooking but probably 3 or 4 showers would just about finish it. Around $5 for a tap so cheap trick :Y:

1522618457_external_tap.jpg

1522618529_jaycar_tap.jpg

Another cheap but good one are these rubber isolators, ideal for mounting stoves etc as have seen many that the frames fatigue crack due to corrugations. Also ideal for mounting solar panels permanently. At around a $1.50 each won't break the bank :D

1522619882_isolators.jpg

Prevents this ............ alloy was built as the standard was just to thin to weld up after all corners had fatigue cracked. Incidentally that was after one trip not years of use :rolleyes:

1522620395_stove_base.jpg

Thanks Mackka ...................... I'm sure there are heaps of other members that play and tinker away in the man cave and have come up with cheap easy solutions that make the camp experience easier, without breaking the bank along the way :)

Now some may laugh but :eek: .................... this may be an air con unit but I wonder how many have tried to lift an 80 litre Waeco full of a months food and drink out of the back of their ute in the middle of a paddock on their own :rolleyes: Plus at probably $20 cost and a bit of time why not ? I usually travel alone and even with the wife who weighs in at a massive 40Kg wouldn't expect her to lift it in any case :/ Many members including myself are getting past the lets say prime in life body wise :8 Winch is already used for side lift and loading quad so was just a matter of another slide on mount point. Looked at loaders advertised but they weighed in at 30 + kg's. The gantry is 3.5 kg and just straps to quad rack and slides into swivel mount when needed. The other big bonus is ................... nice to know when I find the BIG retirement nugget I won't have to leave it in the paddock because I can't lift it in :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

A note here, my set up is to suit long term stays in isolated areas, so for many short local camps they may not be needed, practical or even suitable ;)

1522622819_tambo_gantry.jpg

Good thread bogger,last yr i thought why do we cart this little 12 volt camp shower unit when we have a pump under the trailer,you know the $20-30 yellow ones,got a few little bits to do on our trailer and one is your trick above.
Grabbed this for a shower head and tested it the other week,works perfectly,adjustable,cheap and easily replaced at bunnings or wherever
1522626787_e22e7fdc-d10c-477e-95d2-70d1b8af1763.jpg

Goldchaser exactly was my reasoning also .................. was carrying a separate pump. Plus the added bonus when not camping you can water the garden also :lol: Hot days I use straight out of jerry as use the black plastic ones and the water has heated pretty well during the day in the sun. If I get back late when cold has set in I run it thru one of these units. Pressure activated igniter and work a treat. Again cheap trick at $80 :Y:
Three things take a high priority when I'm away ................ good food, a good bed and a good wash before hitting that bed. Any thoughts of skipping a shower are usually solved by memories of the night before watching the water turn red from the dust & dirt that's stuck to a days sweat :eek:

1522628011_gas_camp_hot_water.jpg

is that unit only $80?
we just use steel bucket on the fire,gonna stick with that until we buy a new camper,ill have a heater in it whatever we end up buying....
yeah good to get that red dirt off ya every cuppla nights,refreshes ya also.....

A tip I have that I mentioned to Phil M is the satellite dish mount.
I spent a good few hours welding up, drilling and mounting a pole for the sat dish on the front of our camper trailer.
What a waste of time! One trip it lasted for!
I want to park the camper under the shade, cant see the satellite.
I want to drive in that way so I can drive out easier, cant see the blinkin' satellite...
Your gonna have to park there.....cant see the freekin satellite!!
Anyway, a satellite tripod and 10 meters of RG6q coax fixed all my problems!
This tip also works for solar panels bolted to your roof.....

Simmo yes noted your comment from that string and took it on board, had a chuckle at the mental image of you driving around with the wife in the back until she gave the thumbs up for a good picture :Y: ................. as I think many will agree, what works in the head or on paper once in the real world, simply just doesn't :rolleyes:

I'm a lazy bugger so I'm always looking for the easy way ;) But keep in mind every thing in camping must have at least 2 uses. :eek:

So this is what I carry

1522636693_img_20180402_121019_fileminimizer.jpg

Not your normal electric screw driver, it's an impact driver with various sockets, uses.
1/ I can undo/tighten the wheel nuts on the car and caravan
2/ Makes lowering/raising levelling legs a piece of cake
3/ I don't use tent pegs except in sandy soil ( below)

I don't use tent pegs any more after bending them in hard, rocky ground and then fighting to get them out when packing up :mad: So now I use these things from Aldi,

1522637112_img_20180402_121222_fileminimizer.jpg

cheap as chips, neat and tidy in their own little carry box :Y: But I did make a couple of modifications to them :/
As they come the hold down lugs are fixed to the shaft and turn when you're screwing them in and out , so I tapped the screws out of the lugs and filed off the flattened out bits on the screws, then drilled out the holes in the lugs about 1mm larger, so now the lugs can turn on the screws and be taken off for packing

1522637532_img_20180402_121309_fileminimizer.jpg

1522637532_img_20180402_121337_fileminimizer.jpg

1522637532_img_20180402_121410_fileminimizer.jpg

1522637532_img_20180402_121432_fileminimizer.jpg

Hope this can help others :Y:

xcvator said:
I'm a lazy bugger so I'm always looking for the easy way ;) But keep in mind every thing in camping must have at least 2 uses. :eek:

So this is what I carry

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2636693_img_20180402_121019_fileminimizer.jpg

Not your normal electric screw driver, it's an impact driver with various sockets, uses.
1/ I can undo/tighten the wheel nuts on the car and caravan
2/ Makes lowering/raising levelling legs a piece of cake
3/ I don't use tent pegs except in sandy soil ( below)

I don't use tent pegs any more after bending them in hard, rocky ground and then fighting to get them out when packing up :mad: So now I use these things from Aldi,

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2637112_img_20180402_121222_fileminimizer.jpg

cheap as chips, neat and tidy in their own little carry box :Y: But I did make a couple of modifications to them :/
As they come the hold down lugs are fixed to the shaft and turn when you're screwing them in and out , so I tapped the screws out of the lugs and filed off the flattened out bits on the screws, then drilled out the holes in the lugs about 1mm larger, so now the lugs can turn on the screws and be taken off for packing

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2637532_img_20180402_121309_fileminimizer.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2637532_img_20180402_121337_fileminimizer.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2637532_img_20180402_121410_fileminimizer.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2637532_img_20180402_121432_fileminimizer.jpg

Hope this can help others :Y:
i carry the ryobi version of that
but the screws are a dam good idea
that is going on my shopping list for sure

Xcavator top stuff on those pegs from Aldi ................. will be on a pkt of those. :Y:

Bogger said:
Yes ....................... I won mine shipped for that but could win cheaper even ? If you don't wish to bid can buy all day long for around $120 posted with heaps of models to choose from. :Y:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THERMOM...101570&hash=item56ac7e12b3:g:NcMAAOSw2CJauvP9

I didnt know they could be that cheap ? I guess they would be safe as long as you mount them outside the camper and prevent the risk of LPG or carbon monoxide building up in your sleeping quarters ?

Go to your local building supplies business and buy landscaping screws, you drive them with a drill and a 6mm hex bit from memory, available in two sizes generally. 175mm (5mm hex) and 225mm (6mm hex) I use a drill/impact driver and an 450mm extension, so no bending over. I also carry a 450 mm x 6mm masonry drill bit for pre drilling in hard ground. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.

Latest posts