Anyone else find literally everything except gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 15 shot? I usually find around 30 :p How long were you out for?

If you found 3 buttons that means there was probably some miners around ... they were probably mining so hard the buttons popped right off their shirts! :D

When you're prospecting a new area it sometimes takes a few days to get the first bit.

Getting frustrated will stop you from relaxing. Relaxing will help you find gold.

Accept that digging junk is part of the process. Each piece of junk is a clue, a relic of history that might tell you something about where the gold is. Maybe those nails were part of fluming for a water race, or a miners hut.

Echidnas are cool. If you stay very still they will get up and go about their business.

Honestly while the old nails and bits of scrap can annoying they are also sometimes interesting, the hot rocks in the other hand bug the crap out of me around here.
My most 'interesting' find would have to be a complete stove top about a metre deep. That was a lot of digging and l still have no I how it ended up there.

This is actually a good outing. Many days are minus the yellow. But it just makes you appreciate it more when you do find it.
And was said above, research is key to digging less holes.

1522155993_day_3.jpg

I have recently taken up panning and sluicing after having been detecting for several years and find that I always go home with SOME gold now. That is generally not the case with detecting, and after a week or more of not finding anything but rubbish can be frustrating. So I think the two forms of prospecting sort of compliment each other and can keep you motivated.

owenh1 said:
Went out for the day today, with an SDC2300.

Picked up 4 nails, 15 shots, 2 iron pins, 3 buttons and an echidna! A frustrating day. Not sure i'm reading diggings very well as a newbie!

Just one day ? I've been away for 10 days and found zip :eek: Then on the last day Eldorado was found ;) Then the reverse situation, gold first day nothing next five after that :| Even when it's there, that coil swing only has to miss it by literally this much ___ and you can miss it 8.( The worse part when you become disheartened, is that your swinging becomes sloppy with a little bit of the old ........ hey what's the use I'm never going to find anything attitude.
Just hang in there for that first piece and then trust me you will have an attitude change big time :Y: :Y: :Y:

Apart from the quantity note how small some are .............. dug a hole for every one :mad: Best or worse I ever had (depends how you look at it) was in the middle of absolute nowhere in FNQ .................. dug a hole three foot deep, target got stronger and figured due to location and depth I had to be on the big one :Y: Was delighted when I finally found the top of a star picket :N: How it got there in the middle of nowhere and especially so deep in the ground, to this day still puzzles me :rolleyes:

1522189329_rubbish.jpg

The positive side is, as one sits back at the end of the day with a view like this ....................... that in itself is gold :Y:

1522190815_night_view.jpg

I like to clean up my junk finds and sit them on display, they make interesting talking points when everyone asks...wheres all the gold youve found....hahaha. Thats when you say... just gotta walk over it haha.
1522192250_f2abef3e-f8cf-41c0-8905-59c8bc322742.jpg

By the way, any clues on what these may be. I found them at the long weekend get together at Amherst. The big angled thingy was down about 20 in hard pack... needed Mardymooses pit bar to extract it.
1522192666_0a424a49-fc91-4baa-a37e-4285e0f43444.jpg

1522192667_4259428f-1933-4985-a69e-d2e94466ce27.jpg

1522192667_9306cc4a-658a-4a51-b482-648815be7eeb.jpg

1522192668_cf6c8d73-44c3-416d-bbe9-fba391b1456b.jpg

I'm hearing you owenh1, myself and mr flowerpot have been casual detectorists since about September last year, we've found three nuggets (one is broken in half) and a very old worn thin thrippy, but the amount of junk we dig inbetween is huge and it does get frustrating at times for sure, especially when the signal is clear and sweet and I dig down into hard clay only to find a piece of old lead shot.
But the thrill of that sometimes being a piece of bright golden metal erases all the pooey stuff. It can be a long time between good finds for sure, but it's still great out in the bush. Mr Fp and moi only go out for an hour or two at the most a few days a week.
There is still good gold to be found, we've just got to walk over it. Keep doing what you're doing, you will get onto some eventually.
The other thrippy in the photo is just to show dimensions.

1522193638_image.jpg

OzzieAu said:
I like to clean up my junk finds and sit them on display, they make interesting talking points when everyone asks...wheres all the gold youve found....hahaha. Thats when you say... just gotta walk over it haha.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4086/1522192250_f2abef3e-f8cf-41c0-8905-59c8bc322742.jpg
By the way, any clues on what these may be. I found them at the long weekend get together at Amherst. The big angled thingy was down about 20 in hard pack... needed Mardymooses pit bar to extract it.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4086/1522192666_0a424a49-fc91-4baa-a37e-4285e0f43444.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2667_4259428f-1933-4985-a69e-d2e94466ce27.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2667_9306cc4a-658a-4a51-b482-648815be7eeb.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...2668_cf6c8d73-44c3-416d-bbe9-fba391b1456b.jpg
Oz, those rusty bits have cleaned up nicely, how do you clean them?

Don,t get too disappointed, the goldfields have been heavily worked over and some are lucky to find just the scraps.
If your taken up the hobby to get rich, you will be very disappointed.

Once the first bit comes it gets much easier, I was lucky when I started I got shown exactly where there should be gold, that really helps. Now I find gold every time I look for it pretty much. 95% of the time I can tell if it's rubbish or gold under my coil so I don't always dig everything anymore...

Swinging & digging said:
Don,t get too disappointed, the goldfields have been heavily worked over and some are lucky to find just the scraps.
If your taken up the hobby to get rich, you will be very disappointed.

Thankfully not, just love being out there :) . Was in Amherst yesterday and I didn't see another soul all day, was detecting only 50yds off a track. It's quite eery sometimes when you find a button or a rusted piece of machinery, takes you back to a time when the old blokes did some serious hard work.

Hi Owenh1
Only new myself and was lucky enough too to be shown an area where I found my first 2 little nuggets. Before that I would race all over the place not swinging the coil properly and going too fast. Got sick of digging junk too. My advice would be to get out of creeks and old digging and work virgin ground just off the digging and pick an area and go slow, not so much the coil swing but picture a 20 cent piece in middle of coil and overlap coil swing so as to move forward only size of 20 coin at a time. Hope you understand that, you will be surprised. You will still get junk and plenty of it.
Cheers
Jamie