Coil Overcurrent on GPX 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all,
I was out the bush this morning & my GPX 5000 kept cutting out with a Coil Overcurrent message. A couple of other times it just switched. Im using a 15 Evo coil.
It also cut out when l put the control box on the ground to dig a target.
It has never done this before. The thing that was different was that wed had a bit rain last night.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

The manual says to turn it off for a few seconds and then back on again ... not a lot of help, eh?

Do you have the same problem with other coils?

I read on another forum that if you have it in Sharp timing it provides an extra 20% power and may trigger the over current message.

You could do a factory reset and try it again.

Thanks mate, l turned it off but it did the same thing. This is the first time that its happened with the NF Evon. See how goes next time l give it a go. Worst case scenario, Ill just take it back to the shop.

Double check all your connections are secure also. Only had this happen once on the 5000, but I simply switched it off, unplugged all the connections (to the coil and battery etc.) plugged them all back in tightly, then did a factory reset upon startup. Never had the issue again :Y:

Definitely get it looked at if it keeps up. Hopefully it's just a one off issue that resolves easily.

All the best with it.
Cheers,
Shauno.

Had the same thing happen and it turned out to be a damaged connection at the coil. Got it fixed and no problems now.

Thanks everyone, l swapped connections, batteries etc. Turns out it is a connection on the chord between the battery and control box. Easy fix. The coil overcurrent message confused me a bit but all good (particularly as I havent got a technical bone in my body & I confuse easily).
I really appreciate your advice/suggestions. Thats whats great about this forum!
Regards
Johnno.

It pays to secure the power cable a few inches from the control box connection to limit the cable movement there. Continuous flexing at this point can cause fatigue in the internal wiring..... so Ive been warned.

I saw a fix for this on hear some place but cannot find it. Basically someone has put small tubing over the conception to stiffen it up.

If you have a control box cover, just secure the cable with cover straps... takes all the weight off the connection.
1521963220_54966f01-3df1-4c30-823c-60113878b644.jpg

Good you got it sorted already :Y: page 20 in the manual probably would have pointed you to the problem :Y:

1521970608_45.jpg

To close off on this one. I took the chord back to the Miners Den in Bendigo, they fixed the connection under warranty. I went it out for a couple of hours tonight & it all worked a treat.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Regards Johnno.

I have done some repairs to audio power cables .. some out there are not of good quality in my opinion ..
a particular well known make ... I wont mention the name of.
I replace with new plugs and reinforcement.
Gef

Hello....I never had it happen to my GPX, however witnessed it to a companions a couple of times. He would simply close it down for a couple of moments and afterward power it back up. He wouldn't have additional issues once he done this.

Latest posts