Heatho's Equinox Madness 2018

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's an interesting spot for sure and speaking to a few elderly locals it has been used a lot for recreation over the years, would be great to find something rare here, gotta be a sovereign there somewhere, probably the likeliest local spot I've detected yet that has the chance to deliver one.

I'll keep posting finds from here.

:mad: TRASHY :mad: is probably an understatement for this site, it is more like a rubbish tip with some good stuff thrown in with the mix. I have been here a couple of years ago with the family and swung the 705 around and pulled an old penny but the trash was overwhelming. The NoX on 8 recovery speed is definitely the go, while not relaxing detecting, it is definitely workable until the brain gets overloaded with confusing beeps.

While I was still cranking up the NoX, Heath had already bucketted a commonwealth penny an a six pence following his run of luck from the previous outing. I started slowly, taking a bearing off on an angle and was rewarded with a high tone sink tap and old brass radiator cap and then proceeded to catch possums and lizards for the next half hour along with some spending money.

I find with sites like this that a lot of dirt has moved or been placed over the years and it is all about sniffing out some old dirt and working it well. And soon enough, I started striking a few pennys. I spent the rest of the morning wading through the trash in a 10x10 area and was rewarded with silver in the form of a couple of florins, rams head, two three pences and maybe a watch strap end(stamped 925). One of the 3Ps is floating around the back of my car somewhere. Heath found another run about 20m away just as I had run out of targets and he started loading out silver after silver, even the local dogs got excited and came to help him have a dig. :lol: :D :lol:

All-in-all it was a glorious sunny winters morning at another local silver mine. :rainbow:

The lead battleship is one Heaths that managed to navigate into my finds pouch. :Y:

1534399074_f1d004ce-f594-4428-8229-78c06afdb36e.jpg

Those 2 sixpence's almost looked like half sovs at a glance. I thought you'd talked yourselves into a bit of luck! Still a Damn good day out, gold, silver, copper and lead!

Excellent hunt,I am loving the silvers :party:

I couldn't help but notice that Heatho didn't dig any 1c and 2c but you dug plenty 8)

Heatho also found 5 sixpence and you found none 8.(

Heatho also found good spendables and you struggled :/

But you found 2 florins and Heatho found none :cool:

It just shows that we all have different experiences and we all hunt differently and with different machines sometimes.

A great way to spend some time with good company I am guessing :)

Top effort :Y:

Was a great morning to be out detecting for sure. Even the local dogs thought so, yep, lol.

The 2 florries were hard to beat, top hunt. I was lagging behind big time on the silvers until I jumped ahead of Wally to try and redeem myself. :)

I dug plenty of BB's though, I just dumped them with my trash, which there was plenty of. As Wally said, a rubbish tip with some good targets thrown in describes it well. :lol:

The Scrounger said:
Excellent hunt,I am loving the silvers :party:

I couldn't help but notice that Heatho didn't dig any 1c and 2c but you dug plenty 8)

Heatho also found 5 sixpence and you found none 8.(

Heatho also found good spendables and you struggled :/

But you found 2 florins and Heatho found none :cool:

It just shows that we all have different experiences and we all hunt differently and with different machines sometimes.

A great way to spend some time with good company I am guessing :)

Top effort :Y:

Thanks Scrounger, it was a great hunt.

Lots of factors affect the result, on this occasion the spendable tally was proportionate to the time spent in high volume areas. Heath was using Park 1 and had mine set on Park 2. We had a chat about that fact, but I think the most significant variance was that we swung our coils over different targets.

Not wanting to cramp Heatho, I worked away from his hot-spot quickly, when running a very quick search pattern I tend to only pull up for clear high tones. Bronze, copper and big silvers are the usual pull ups, on this occasion, I found my own hot-spot with a possum and lizard spill that then turned into a pre-decimal haven.

I use this technique on new hunt grounds to scout for potential as it seems to work for me. Heaths style is extremely effective as he systematically dissects hunting grounds and I emulate his style once I have locked onto a hot-spot.

A few more variables come to mind, but walking over a good target is also essential ;)

Hit the new honey hole again today for a few hours, pretty good hunt overall, $10 in goldies were from the weekend when I hit a beach with the CTX, rest is from today with the Nox.

Gonna have tio get back down there with me Wally, I found a new patch of silver. I bet there's a few more patches to find there as well. :Y:

1534913883_img_20180822_144703.jpg

1534913884_img_20180822_144715.jpg

1534913884_img_20180822_144732.jpg

Latest posts