Look what I found

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lovely creek that has lovely bedrock and test panning has been sensational - and even better - no-one else has been there for a very very long time.. guess where I will be this weekend?

1521600127_5a5fbd1e-235f-4c93-955f-722d6e56ed90.jpg

Looks nice mate, is there water in the other direction?

It's always nice to find somewhere that seems relatively untouched, that being said it's mind-boggling to be in what you would think to be virgin ground, untouched by mankind.....next minute you uncover a coke lid.

I'm in Central West NSW mate, if there is a creek it's been prospected or mined by the oldtimers. However recently I found myself a similar "new spot" and so far I'm pretty happy with it it seems almost untouched in recent times like it has been overlooked and perhaps even passed over by the oldtimers because it didn't produce enough for them. I was having a laugh reading some old reports on Trove or the State Archive about creeks in this area producing 120 grams of gold per pan :p so yeah this new spot I was damn excited to pull over a gram panning for a few hours. Was not running enough at the time for a sluice, unfortunately. Got me thinking *cough* highbanker would be interesting *cough*

Good luck, I hope there is some water close by to make things a bit easier on you!

AussieChris said:
Looks nice mate, is there water in the other direction?

yep nice big puddle right behind me when I took the pic.
the place itself is an old alluvial mining area, last worked around the early 1900s.
haven't found any recent rubbish, but quite a few bits of that nice old thick glass in the gravels - don't think the place has been turned over in quite some time. It's very hard to find and quite a bush bash to get there.

Good luck. Looking forward to your progress report :Y:

I was telling Marksman about my new spot, I opened up some hardpacked bedrock crevices and found a coke lid wedged in the main one, so from what I can tell from the lid the last time it was opened up was around 1983, the lid was from the America's Cup coke competition.....the funniest thing though was it was a winner "Free Coke" so I took that as a good sign. I know that 35 years is not long for redistribution of gold deposits but I'd guess there would have been at least 4 or 5 major floods in that time and quite a few minor ones and the crevice did hold quite a bit of gold.

I was recently out a Mitchells Creek, Sunny Corner and met up with some blokes from Northern NSW, the creek has been very low this past summer, to the point of not running at all on some days, we were working an area of exposed bedrock a reasonable hike from any place you could park and came up with bugger all, to me it felt like someone had brought in a hoover and sucked the place clean, those crazy bored out holes in the bedrock some around the size of a beer can some a bit smaller that you cant get much more than a couple of fingers in held gravel and sands but were completely devoid of even the smallest grain of micro gold.

I really questioned WTF I was doing :p
I guess that's why it is called "Prospecting" not "Mining"

Hopefully get a few more tries before the cold sets in here!

Looks great mate. Where did you put your clean up results from your trip down bright way?

Latest posts