Queensland Rainforest jasper ( Rhyolite )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi thought I would share a couple of photos of a nice 6kg piece of Rhyolite I purchased from Mt Hay on Thursday. Never thought much about Rhylite even though I pass the mine about once a month untill recently when I saw some very nice freeform cabs. This block should should keep me in cabs for a while.
Dave
1521321572_20180317_144606.jpg
1521321607_20180317_144645.jpg
1521321635_20180317_144544.jpg

Nice looking material there :Y: My grandfather made a bookend out of it (no idea where it is now) and I have seen coffee table tops made from large slabs of it - looks amazing!

I still have about a half a bucket of small thundereggs he collected from there years ago but I don't think there's any pieces of the Rainforest jasper among it.

Hi Lefty cant wait to get home and start cutting should be some super freeforms in it. Have 4 days in Gladstone and a week in Brisbane then home. I collected a bucket of thunder eggs about 18 years ago still have a few cut pieces around the place. They also have a verity of Australian rough rock for sale which is good.
Dave

Latest posts