4x4 Camping set ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now thats flash!
Yep big dollars Im sure. Have been in campers and tent cots for years but one thing I always missed was cupboard space, and being able to just open a door, walk in and crash.
Still have the camper and tent cot, but bought a 13 foot supreme getaway that will still go most places. Where it dont go the quad will.

My problem is weve got so much stuff to look after and maintain etc im just about over it,im doin fark all detectin ,todays job is fix torn cv boot on dmax,got a broken dozer sittin out bush,no more major building for me,less time on the tools and more behind the detector id like,hence spending a few $$$ on a good setup.

Bogger 1.6 with the quad on is good.....

Goldchaser1 said:
My problem is weve got so much stuff to look after and maintain etc im just about over it,im doin fark all detectin ,todays job is fix torn cv boot on dmax,got a broken dozer sittin out bush,no more major building for me,less time on the tools and more behind the detector id like,hence spending a few $$$ on a good setup.

Bogger 1.6 with the quad on is good.....

Yes I'm hearing ya ................... I look around at the amount of gear tied up in it and shake my head :eek:
Weight wise was a bit limited as some are up over half a tonne, I found the King Quad 300 was the lightest I could find. Having low and low low range with front diff lock has plenty of power to do the job, only issue I have found is the bigger / heavier quads keep the front on the ground better on steep inclines. With some weight in box on the back making it a little back heavy, have had a few "of shite" moments as the front rears skywards :D Also carby job with pull start as well as electric gives it a few get out of jail cards over injection and electric start only.
Like always you just have to think out what you want the item to do before purchase.

bogger when i 1st came to wa i bought two buggered king quads,rebuilt the motor on one and rusted bottom frame,as far as i got,went and bought a polaris,all still here,gonna throw most out the tip at some stage,if ya comin west let me know,take what parts ya want,heaps here.....
motor is an earlier 250cc but 4x4,i rebuilt the top end etc,purrs like a kitten,just couldnt be buggered finishing it,great old quads hey!!!

ps: all parts the same as the 300,top end just a tad smaller in displacement.....

Cheers mate and appreciate it .................. hope to get to the west. I ended up buying brand new as most I looked at were either flogged out or rusted out as most around me have seen severe beach work. First thing I did was rip out the lock out for the diff lock so can get diff lock in all ratios now. :Y: :Y: Not many maintain a quad ................ until it won't move forward anymore :eek: ;)

Was going to get the polaris 500, only the weight factor pulled me up on it. All fuelled up and ready to roll was getting up around half a tonne from memory where as the King Quad comes in at around 280 kg :Y: Couple of hundred kg extra is a lot when mounting above a camper................. not real fond of the pendulum effect when off road :eek: :eek: :eek:

Didnt think they sold them new anymore?
Everyone says they are a solid little quad and unstopable,mate has one in his shed with 2000klms on it,still like new.
Yeah polaris are big for there size,ours is maybe 350kg fueled up i reckon.....

Yep still doing them .................. must be something in it to keep production going for so long :Y: They started back in the 80's I believe was first produced as the quad runner but from memory didn't have independent suspension. This could explain the fact still runs a carby which for my purpose is great. Not much you can't fix on a carby in the scrub, but not to many fuel pumps or ecu's hanging off trees. :eek: Apart from top speed there is nothing I could knock about it. On the tracks heading home sometimes a bit more top speed would be good and a bit more grunt to help steer it thru the corners :Y:

1522489070_lt-f300f_styd_yt9.jpg

madtuna said:
Now thats flash!
Yep big dollars Im sure. Have been in campers and tent cots for years but one thing I always missed was cupboard space, and being able to just open a door, walk in and crash.
Still have the camper and tent cot, but bought a 13 foot supreme getaway that will still go most places. Where it dont go the quad will.

Steve this was about the closest when looking I could find .................. you can simply open up window and slide into a double bed without putting up tent .............. great for quick en route stops. Value was good also could have got one for 20K (demo model) I believe they are not made anymore. The only issue with it was it's over all size for me. All in all a well thought out rig but :Y:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/LpN98LtkWYs[/video]

1522489644_kununura_kampers.jpg

1522489684_kunnunurra.jpg

Shame about the Kimberly price tag :eek:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/evC5pxr7Ins[/video]

Well i thought they stopped selling them many yrs ago bogger,thats why i said parts here if ya want them,thought you would of bought used,i may finsh it one day then if i can get parts for a decent price,needs full plastic kit and a cuppla other bits,had thoughts of maybe using it to drag a coil.
Had a squizz at a trailer like that made in wa,quad goes on the front etc,same mob im not sure,trailer is huge though,wouldnt like to take it into some areas,actually southern cross campers comes to mind now,pretty sure that was them.
Two ways to tackle the problem of carting a quad,like youve done or trailers like above or get a ute then throw any camper behind it quad on the ute,contemplated all this last cuppla yrs,i thought the ute was the best option,only problem i see is with our new dmax as an example is ive put 2 lift with heavy springs,sits pretty high,our old ramps dont cut it,to short and dangerous,got to order some from whipps over east,3mtrs and heavy duty......

Yeah big advantage having the quad underneath ................ C of G and much easier to load :Y: Enjoy your trip as it must be getting close ? Envious very :)

Goldchaser1 said:
Well i thought they stopped selling them many yrs ago bogger,thats why i said parts here if ya want them,thought you would of bought used,i may finsh it one day then if i can get parts for a decent price,needs full plastic kit and a cuppla other bits,had thoughts of maybe using it to drag a coil.
Had a squizz at a trailer like that made in wa,quad goes on the front etc,same mob im not sure,trailer is huge though,wouldnt like to take it into some areas,actually southern cross campers comes to mind now,pretty sure that was them.
Two ways to tackle the problem of carting a quad,like youve done or trailers like above or get a ute then throw any camper behind it quad on the ute,contemplated all this last cuppla yrs,i thought the ute was the best option,only problem i see is with our new dmax as an example is ive put 2 lift with heavy springs,sits pretty high,our old ramps dont cut it,to short and dangerous,got to order some from whipps over east,3mtrs and heavy duty......

Yes very limited options once taking a quad comes into it, and even limited somewhat as to what campers you can do it with. The main thing that decided me to go rack on camper was I have a few 4B's and also mates vehicles, so figured if done on trailer the tow vehicle can vary. Also if you swap vehicles doesn't effect anything. The other factor was I wanted to load sideways on tray so quad didn't occupy whole tray and the only thing I could find with a tray as wide as quad is long, was a cruiser. Have been running it for around two years now and only disadvantage is that you have to load and unload quad to set up. Most of my camping is no shorter than a week, so no big deal in that dept.
Also got the whips 3 metre foldable ramps, great product and also excellent company to deal with :Y: Was the dearest part of the whole exercise .................. my rack height is 1.5 and quad will climb them :)

Can carry 60 L fuel then when we get to destination will swap to 60 L water town is only one hour away .also have a pajero so plenty of room

Bogger said:
Goldchaser1 said:

Yes very limited options once taking a quad comes into it, and even limited somewhat as to what campers you can do it with. The main thing that decided me to go rack on camper was I have a few 4B's and also mates vehicles, so figured if done on trailer the tow vehicle can vary. Also if you swap vehicles doesn't effect anything. The other factor was I wanted to load sideways on tray so quad didn't occupy whole tray and the only thing I could find with a tray as wide as quad is long, was a cruiser. Have been running it for around two years now and only disadvantage is that you have to load and unload quad to set up. Most of my camping is no shorter than a week, so no big deal in that dept.
Also got the whips 3 metre foldable ramps, great product and also excellent company to deal with :Y: Was the dearest part of the whole exercise .................. my rack height is 1.5 and quad will climb them :)

yeah whipps been goin a long time,used to buy there bashplates and bits for bikes back 25yrs i reckon,top quality,about $800 with freight to Kal for the ramps,ouch :)
Trailer looks good vstrom,i hinged ours but i can actually duck or near lay flat and ride it in or out....

Bogger said:
madtuna said:
Now thats flash!

Steve this was about the closest when looking I could find .................. you can simply open up window and slide into a double bed without putting up tent .............. great for quick en route stops. Value was good also could have got one for 20K (demo model) I believe they are not made anymore. The only issue with it was it's over all size for me. All in all a well thought out rig but :Y:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/LpN98LtkWYs[/video]

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1522489644_kununura_kampers.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1522489684_kunnunurra.jpg

Shame about the Kimberly price tag :eek:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/evC5pxr7Ins[/video]
Shes a big unit Boggs!

I see a lot of Kimberly campers out here but more copies and mostly imported Chinese ones. They look the goods but speaking to the owners, most are not impressed or have had to fix or alter a fair bit on them to either make them workable or to stop them from breaking.

A big problem seems to be crap grade steel and welds that just dont seem to be able to cope in the terrain these things are meant to handle.

I see the same thing with Chinese quads out here. Some of the Honda knock off motors are absolutely fine but its the cheap steel in the frames or the welds letting go that let them down.

Can't agree more that's why I made a basic setup 50 nm box steel is not going to break and the old Honda fortrax 300 are built like a tank and engine is bullet proof.

I see the same thing with Chinese quads out here. Some of the Honda knock off motors are absolutely fine but its the cheap steel in the frames or the welds letting go that let them down

Have quite a few bring them in for repair ................. reply when their picking up is usually here is your problem now try and locate the part ? :eek:

Call me a minimalist :D.. or just a bachelor

It's factory standard 2015 Jimny. Only changes are rear seats removed, a simple bed in the back
For travel I have 100l storage box for food. Two Jerry cans give a 1000k range.
I strapped on a second spare tyre
Basically a days work converting it to a camper

The little zuke ran the french line without any trouble and shot up the steepest side of big red on highway terrains. Only one other 4x4 made it up :D
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8zz6NiOkFw[/video]
26377153787_0fd0d85bf2_c.jpg

41206512322_679653f0f7_c.jpg

41206512302_6dfc1b4571_c.jpg

41206512252_4c043c2013_c.jpg

Most recently I travelled up to toward Tibooburra and coffs harbour. Was a great trip too. Spent a lot of time hiking the rainforests in the area and camping in the mountains

41205954172_0107811d7c_c.jpg

Latest posts