4x4 Camping set ups

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
Would be more inclined to say optical illusion

Maybe!! But look at the bbq in front, and table out back...and camper in the middle....
And the trailers "dont bother knockin windy down thingos" are fully down at the back too??????

The ground was all over the place, its level, with a slight down at the front because we sleep with our heads to the middle,,,when I first saw the pic said the same thing every one is saying , its on the level.....no bull..... this is a different direction ,,,,,.
1522445496_dsc00405.jpg

shakergt said:
Thank you. I have been looking at MDC campers
Only thing I have changed was the wire from the control to the frig out let, had voltage drop so put in larger wires and Anderson plug....and put in some 240 volt out lets on the door side, with RCD when we power up with the gen. and put extra water tanks on the back to take some weight off the tow hitch.

1522449270_d0be8ec0-aaf5-4929-9da2-2a54b75bb1fd.jpg
1522449286_683233a9-af30-4d6b-9481-b9fafa1660fa.jpg

built this cuppla yrs ago,takes our quad,can carry 8 jerrys,about 200ltrs of water underneath,solid but fairly big an heavy.
got a ute now so quad can go in that,went to perth caravan and camping show the other day,weve had plans for a camper for a bit more space and comfort,the boss fell in love with the conquerer 490 made in south africa,it ticks all the boxs for us,hopin to order one next yr,a big patch or win lotto will help the cause.....

Goldchaser I'm pretty sure it was the conquerer I looked at that they use a lot of pop rivets on parts and trim etc ..................... pop rivets and corrugations = a lot of parts left along the track :eek: Probably find it hard to buy something as tough as you built yourself. I built a quad rack for mine and it weighed in at just over a 100kg for the rack alone. Footnote here is cost $300 which was a bit different than the 2.5 K quote from a trailer place :rolleyes: If you want it strong ya gotta put the material in ;) Your spare bracket on trailer good example ................. tough :Y:

I basically copied the Kimberly set up ...................... just gave the $75K price tag a miss .............. it's good but damn big $$$$$$$ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1522452166_kim_quad.jpg

hey bogger yep had a good chat with the bloke,they look like aircraft type pop rivets so didnt cross my mind they might come loose,its all sikaflexed where its riveted to he explained,im a fan of that,they look so well built compared to others,did ya check out the suspension arms,man there solid,ill be talking to a few long term owners before we drop 70k on one though,will ask about the rivets. one other thing we liked was no cupboard doors-latches etc inside to rattle to bits
your rack for ya quad on the trailer tub or the drawbar?
agree with ya on making them solid but i went overboard a bit with our trailer,it could be alot lighter,weight can be your enemy.....

oh ok a pic there now,did you build that trailer?

Mate pic in post above is Kimberly .................. there 70K plus. I used a Tambo base to start which already had 50mm by 5mm boat rack mounts on chassis. I wanted to mount quad across but just to much overhang each side ..................... sooner or later I would have hooked a tree as some spots are pretty tight to get into and also what stopped me going with a tandem set up. Rack wasn't finished here but you get the idea. Winch is portable and also use it to winch up quad. Had a few die riding quads up ................ one was in his own driveway :| Basically for me the aim is to build something that's strong, functional, and comfortable without spending a fortune doing so. Tambo campers (the original when Keith owned them) are strong and tough, heavy yes but have never seen one broken. Tambo unit was around 25K new but Gumtree being your friend offered up a unit only used twice from divorced cple for 5K :Y: Was on it like a dog on a bone :)
Thought I would add ............... set up for short camps and set up for long stints in isolated areas I've found are two vastly different things. Weekend trips the swags the go :Y: but weeks at a time I'll take the kitchen sink.

1522453849_rack_build_10.jpg

1522454743_camper_rack_build_1_2.jpg

Tambo spring pack resembles a Toyota Dyna :Y:

1522455361_tambo_spring_pack_1.jpg

Got sick of coming back from a big day and sitting with the sweat dripping off me along with long hot nights ................... Dean from DD Leather in Bendigo (Free plug for free item :D ) made me up a sleave that velcro's to camper window. Unit sits on a waeco fridge stand 2.7 W and a 2Kva jennie runs it just off idle. Some knock it but haven't found any yet that don't enjoy it once the mercury rises :Y: Just a note on air con units, had a ten year old unit and it 1.6 W and it took more power to run than the new 2.7 W Apparently the newer type units are a lot more efficient on speaking with the air con boys. :Y: Tried a portable air con also, 1.2 W, cheap unit with cheap refrigeration unit and made the jennie scream trying to run it.

1522454205_tambo_air_con_15.jpg

nice setup bogger,was gonna say shite ya did a nice job building that trailer lol
yeah kimberleys are well made but 75k for a tent trailer more or less is outragous,id go the same route for a tent trailer,good used one or even an mdc then do some work on it where needed
im keen on the small hybrid vans though,we had a sqizz at the kimberley van,well made thats a given,bit to flash inside i think then the starting price was $108,000 :eek:
your spring pack is what i should of put under mine,they do singles up to 2.5ton i think,yours look not far off,i used 79series ute springs,very long and flex to much for a heavy trailer,we beefed them up but they still were to soft,ended up airbagging it which got us out of trouble,i was undecided for months on single or dual,lookin back now i wish i built it dual.....

Goldchaser ................... yeah agree the Kimberly are a top unit but have to agree for me no tent on a trailer is worth those dollars. Think my setup owes me under 8K all up ..................... Tambo canvas work is also heavy duty and top notch as Keith the original owner started out as a canvas maker. Mine weighs in at 1.6 tonne with quad loaded. I also tossed up on the tandem idea but overall size, lot more load to drag especially in sandy conditions and not being able to get into tight spots killed it. I even come home now and have shaved the press studs off the side lockers some where along the way :eek:
Again a lot of factors come into the set up and conditions and type of use required to suit it probably what dictates the outcome.
There are some brilliant set ups out there but also with a price tag that for me is simply crazy. Have stood with Noel up at Long Gully and watched the rigs roll thru on their way out to Cobbold Gorge. V8 cruisers with big vans totalling out at over a quarter mill :eek: I remember laughing thinking my quad on the trailer owes me three times more than the 4B towing it :) Guess I'm just a member of the POV pack ;)

madtuna said:
Always liked the Kimberleys but fail to see how they can justify the price

100% Steve ........................ when shopping and told the price I remarked to the salesman ......................... damn for that price I would want it to come with three dancing girls that made me coffee and toast in the morning :) I think some one on here posted that for that price they would want a lot more than coffee and toast :eek: :Y:

Latest posts