Opinions Please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hAyyoUinAU

Rick
Reaction score
I have my own opinion on what is going on here, I am pretty positive ZED would of nailed it even with stock coil.
I just wanted to see what others thought.
Without being disrespectful please. Matt is a nice guy and has a lot of history.

His 4500 is modified, so not sure if that has something to do with it.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ_YbdrkMt8[/video]

Nice, That looks like one of the Detech or GKN ?? detectors, If it is the Detech PI they are a professional PI machine which are made more for S.A.R. ( Search and Rescue ) normally used by governments, Not hobby machines like the ML or Garretts or Whites, etc.
Twice now I have come close to buying one but I went with ML each time but those Detech PI's are good. But his one seems like a VLF, but it has the control box of the SSP 2100.

https://www.detech-metaldetectors.com/products/pi-detectors.html

Not a real good advertisement for dropping money on getting your GPX modified? I'd expect a GPX to pick that up normally? I'd like to think my QED would get that.
The other machine I'd like to see more of. It seems to make a lot of spurious noises even with the coil held still. IMO he did well to pick anything up with it.
It even seems to sound off when he's passing soil under the coil to locate the target & it's only the size of the target that differentiates between the ground noise & what turned out to be gold. Without being too critical of old mate I'm very sceptical & would need to see it in person outdoing an untouched GPX/GPZ etc.
Other than switching to normal I didn't hear mention of any other GPX settings either.

Not much to tell apart from that in this instance for whatever reason the GPX in its configuration (settings and coil) didn't pick up the target. I don't doubt there are situations where detectors will outshine one another. There's just so many variables. It takes a lot of testing in various ground to determine an overall winner and then it's still just that. I'd love to see a video comparison of the two detectors in a test pit with hot ground on various target sizes and depth. Repeated in benign conditions. Having said that a machine that misses 9 out of 10 targets the GPX would pick up but gets one that it won't would likely bring in more gold in the triangle than a GPX

It sounds like a VLF but I am sure it is a PI and in the specs it says its a PI and it can discriminate and has a depth of up to 10ft with a 1m coil and a depth of 5m /15ft using a 2m coil,

If you scroll down until you see the black box with the rotary knobs on it I think it is that one ?

J.

http://detechitalia.it/ssp2100en.htm

That is also Matt. He has been Australian Panning Champion for a few years. I think he lost the last one held.
He was on a SBS special other day regarding gold prospecting here in Australia.

He has a lot of experience with detecting, and he gets some guy to do all the mods. They also don't really like the GPZ 7000.

In the test he was using a GPX4500 (Modified) with a Detech coil and a Makro Deep Hunter.

I felt the same, that the Makro was very noisy and that the GPX seemed to have a threshold break, which he didn't pick up on.

I guess if they modify the GPX's to make them run quieter, then they are sacrificing something in the end. (Maybe depth)

PS. At least it wasn't a Chinese detector :p :p :p :Y: :Y:

I have enjoyed watching his videos for a while now and he seems to have changed his tune on Minelab very quickly. Most of his vids he talks highly of them. I dont think he gave a true indication of ML capabilities. The first time he put the other detector over the target I dont know how he could differentiate between chatter and target. Id like to see more.

goldwright said:
My only opinion is he needs to learn how to post edit his videos.

Yeah...I think he is too old for that. lol. Most his videos are like that. No cuts, nothing. Just raw shots.
At least we know its legit.

kemjak57 said:
I have enjoyed watching his videos for a while now and he seems to have changed his tune on Minelab very quickly. Most of his vids he talks highly of them. I dont think he gave a true indication of ML capabilities. The first time he put the other detector over the target I dont know how he could differentiate between chatter and target. Id like to see more.

Yeah, I noticed that. Each to their own I guess.

Oh and I agree, seemed to be a lot of ground chatter on both machines. Maybe the ground there is loaded with nuggets. LOL

I don't think those machines are ideal or suited for nugget shooting, but if it works for him or anyone, more power to them.

I will stick with my medieval GPZ 7000 for now. :eek:

RedDirtDigger said:
Sorry, the video was a waste of my time. Both detectors left on while testing. the 4500 was way way off balanced. No real attempt to find dug target with 4500, yet still grabbed handfuls of dirt looking for it. With respect I feel there is a barrow to push in regard to the other detector.

I don't think he was trying to say that he couldn't locate it with the GPX. Once he took 4 inches off, he could hear it with both easy.
I think he decided midway through locating the target to use the Makro to locate it, instead of GPX.

He always uses a GPX and for an old fella he is pretty good, and doesn't use a scoop normally. lol

I don't like the Makro Deep Hunter, not for what I do. And I don't think it has benefits for gold.
I guess Matt was just playing around with other techs, and he felt that it helped locate the target. (Which I think is the only iffy part)
Makro does make good stuff, so I have no doubt it would work, but I think the test would be better done with an unmodified 4500.

okay, well his previous video had this, which I am 100% sceptical of.
I tried to tell Matt on youtube but he said he was doing it to test, and it was for him only, not trying to prove anything.
Regardless, to me, these things upset me a bit.

Anyways, it might cross over into the dowsing realm, so we will try to keep it machine specific, if anyone has used one before. (Not DOWSING.) lol

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXp3lNKiv-U&t=1084s[/video]

Latest posts